NZ to UK Returnees

Old Jun 25th 2013, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

ohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to all
Default NZ to UK Returnees

There seemed to be a lot of people returning to UK from NZ last year and the beginning of this year.

I'd be interested to hear how you're getting on. Is life as you imagined it to be? Have you settled well? Moved to a new area or chosen somewhere new? Job before landing or job search on arrival?

The more I hear on the TV and through family/friends the more I remember the reasons we moved here in the first place - still doesn't replace family and friends though - VERY hard to tell if they just don't know any different though.

I really do worry that we'll go home and regret it. Have you regretted moving back?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

Choccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond reputeChoccie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ to UK Returnees

Hi haven't seen you on here for a while!

Can't comment personally as still here - until the start of next year anyway.

I know a few families that have gone back and they seem happy to have done it. Maybe you just don't hear if it all goes wrong.

We were back there for a few weeks in April/May and I could quite easily have stayed there and felt quite at home.

Looking forward to the comments to come.
Old Jun 26th 2013, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ohdearydear
There seemed to be a lot of people returning to UK from NZ last year and the beginning of this year.

I'd be interested to hear how you're getting on. Is life as you imagined it to be? Have you settled well? Moved to a new area or chosen somewhere new? Job before landing or job search on arrival?

The more I hear on the TV and through family/friends the more I remember the reasons we moved here in the first place - still doesn't replace family and friends though - VERY hard to tell if they just don't know any different though.

I really do worry that we'll go home and regret it. Have you regretted moving back?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Hi,

My husband and son moved back last July and I joined them in December. We moved to a new area after 6 years in NZ. My husband had his job set up for when he returned which obviously helped.
We don't regret a minute. I love being back, but I do think it depends what you are after. With hindsight as a family who don't love walking/trekking, don't mind the beach but kids are older so don't want to go but all like the shops it was never going to be the best move for us.
The weather is as I remember but I just don't care now I am so pleased to be back and able to discover all the things that are on the doorstep that I just never saw before.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Carole
Old Jun 26th 2013, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

SUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to behold

i saw a report a month or so back of someone that wasnt that happy with the return from NZ. cant remember the posters name. i think they were near oxford
Old Jun 27th 2013, 10:33 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I sympathise with the poster to returned from Auckland to Oxford. She found things expensive even though she quoted her salary as 50,000GBP.

I've just trawled my old posts and I can't find the thread she was commenting on. I can't remember her name either, this is a little embarrassing as she gave me some encouragement when I was really struggling.
Old Jun 27th 2013, 10:44 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Found it:

this post was written by janeyk earlier in 2013.

I moved back in February but have found the cost of living worse I live in Oxfordshire and have noticed even the cheapest petrol is 7-8p dearer a litre, housing is pricey and food is as expensive as NZ more choice yes but local supermarkets seem to pack meat at one weight one price which proves costly. Going out for a cafe / pub is more expensive than NZ in my opinion also days out we looked at going to Warwick castle last weekend because we are a family of 3 we do not warrant the family ticket so the price for entry was £82 if we took another person it would of gone to £85. The local Lido wanted £12 that is 2 spectators and one swimmer, Khandallah pool used to be just $1! as we live so rural we can not get the deals on electricity, phone, or internet or TV although I would hardly call Chipping Norton rural! public services here are cash starved so certainly the local roads around us are in a shocking state,
I thought NZ schools were behind but I have been proved wrong our 12 year is ahead in every area other than French and German which is hardly surprising, he has won prizes for his knowledge of world geography and History all through the experience of living abroad in essence it depends on you lifestyle and where you base youselves.
good luck only you can make the judgement and it depends on where and what you want from life

Here's a link to a similar discussion thread on BE: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=793259

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jun 27th 2013 at 10:47 pm.