Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

NZ back to UK legal and finance issues

NZ back to UK legal and finance issues

Old Sep 18th 2017, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

Gromit61 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ back to UK legal and finance issues

Greetings to all, I'm a newbie here. In fact I think this is the first thread I've ever posted anywhere. I've taken advantage of the odd internet forum in the past (mainly how to fix Land Rovers...), but never actually asked anything or replied to any posts. I'm also something of a technophobe - please bear with me !

My reason for posting today is to clarify some thoughts I have / answer important questions relating to finance / tax / legal obligations.

10+ years ago my family and I moved to NZ from the UK. All family members were born in the UK, all have expired UK passports, all are now NZ citizens with live NZ passports.
We moved our personal pensions, held them in QROPS for the statutory 5 years, then sunk that money into a 'grand design' self-build.
Now contemplating a large empty nest, retirement and 'kids' away at uni or abroad already. And, you guessed it, the question of 'home' and 'belonging' has raised its head.....

So, without wanting to ask every detail question right here right now, can anyone spot any fundamental issues with us selling up and moving back to the UK ?
Any advice or thoughts at all would be most welcome, especially relating to pensions / tax / finance. (Are we looking at paying some form of penalty for having used our personal pensions pre-retirement for example ??)

Many thanks in advance.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 10:47 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NZ back to UK legal and finance issues

You should renew your British passports if you're planning a permanent return to the UK. Others more au fait with financial matters should be along shortly to help with your questions.