Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Notifying HMRC of return to UK?

Notifying HMRC of return to UK?

Old Oct 5th 2015, 2:02 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Notifying HMRC of return to UK?

I have returned to UK after 14 continuous years overseas (Middle East). I have been classed as non-resident throughout this time.

I flew back at the end of June (2015), but my contract didn't end until August 31st (not sure if this is relevant!)

I am currently unemployed and living off savings.

Do I need to notify HMRC that I have returned so that they can change their records to state that I am now resident?

If so, what is the best way of doing this?

Thanks

Last edited by Victor Meldrew; Oct 5th 2015 at 3:13 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2015, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Notifying HMRC of return to UK?

We notified HMRC upon pure turn last year. Check https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/shortforms/form/PAYENICoC
Old Oct 5th 2015, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Heretic is a splendid one to beholdHeretic is a splendid one to beholdHeretic is a splendid one to beholdHeretic is a splendid one to beholdHeretic is a splendid one to beholdHeretic is a splendid one to beholdHeretic is a splendid one to beholdHeretic is a splendid one to beholdHeretic is a splendid one to beholdHeretic is a splendid one to beholdHeretic is a splendid one to behold

This might help:

RDRM10215 - Residence: Coming to the United Kingdom: Form P86
Old Oct 6th 2015, 10:38 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

No need to anymore. Form P86 has been withdrawn. Providing you know your NINO and you have your last P45 then once you start interacting with HMRC in any way (work, claiming benefits, pensions) then they'll know you're back.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 7:56 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
No need to anymore. Form P86 has been withdrawn. Providing you know your NINO and you have your last P45 then once you start interacting with HMRC in any way (work, claiming benefits, pensions) then they'll know you're back.
Thank you for your response (and all other responders)

I have my last P45, but this was from August 2001, since when I have been overseas. Does this matter?
Old Oct 7th 2015, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

Heretic is a splendid one to beholdHeretic is a splendid one to beholdHeretic is a splendid one to beholdHeretic is a splendid one to beholdHeretic is a splendid one to beholdHeretic is a splendid one to beholdHeretic is a splendid one to beholdHeretic is a splendid one to beholdHeretic is a splendid one to beholdHeretic is a splendid one to beholdHeretic is a splendid one to behold

No need to anymore. Form P86 has been withdrawn.

I know. Clearly you didn't click the link - it was that sentence involving P86 that came up automatically.

I would advise the OP to click on it.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
I have my last P45, but this was from August 2001, since when I have been overseas. Does this matter?

No.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 5:57 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heretic
I know. Clearly you didn't click the link - it was that sentence involving P86 that came up automatically.

I would advise the OP to click on it.
I did, however I was responding to the OP's question, not your link. Your link refers to completing a P46, which isn't necessary if the OP has his last P45, which he does.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 8:49 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I did, however I was responding to the OP's question, not your link. Your link refers to completing a P46, which isn't necessary if the OP has his last P45, which he does.
Hmm. I've just clicked on it as well. I don't have a P-45 (whatever that is, I last worked in the UK in 1977), but now I'm technically back, well not just technically I suppose, I am becoming tax resident here, do I need to do something wrt HMRC?

Edit: I'm retired if that's relevant.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 10:22 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have UK income, e.g. a state pension? Or is all your income from Canada? Either way, you are going to have to file a tax return declaring your foreign income. As long as you do that when it is due, I don't think you'll need to contact HMRC beforehand.
Old Oct 7th 2015, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Hmm. I've just clicked on it as well. I don't have a P-45 (whatever that is, I last worked in the UK in 1977), but now I'm technically back, well not just technically I suppose, I am becoming tax resident here, do I need to do something wrt HMRC?

Edit: I'm retired if that's relevant.
The P45 has been around since WWII so you probably were given one at some point before you left the UK but I concur with Editha's opinion. You would need to complete a P46 if you intended to work but if you are retired and relying on your pension and/or other income then you should only need to complete a self-assessment tax return. Providing you know your National Insurance number you should be good to go.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 7:45 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

^ Thank you both.