Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Is it normal to pay for dental treatment up front on the NHS?

Is it normal to pay for dental treatment up front on the NHS?

Old Mar 20th 2017, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

wasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud of
Default Is it normal to pay for dental treatment up front on the NHS?

I recently had an appointment, I have to have some work done, I was given a piece of paper detailing what I need to have done and with the price, I then went to the reception to make more appointments and I was asked to pay there and then the whole price, the last time I went to the dentist here in the UK was over a year ago but I have never ever had to pay up front, I'm always told it's fine to pay at the end of treatment.

Has something changed recently? I have been to about 5/6 different dentists on the NHS in my life, in London and in Wales in different wards.

Last edited by wasss; Mar 20th 2017 at 8:09 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it normal to pay for dental treatment up front on the NHS?

If you are having to pay for your treatment then, yes, the dentist can ask for payment up front.

Whether you wish to do so is up to you; if you don't want to pay up front then the dentist can choose not to provide the treatment.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Bridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond reputeBridie55 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
If you are having to pay for your treatment then, yes, the dentist can ask for payment up front.

Whether you wish to do so is up to you; if you don't want to pay up front then the dentist can choose not to provide the treatment.
If only the NHS hospitals did the same we would not have all these overseas people abusing our system.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 10:10 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We pay our UK dentist at each visit full amount billed.
I had the same in the US, although my insurance paid part, I paid the balance on the day of the visit in full.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 10:38 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wasss
I recently had an appointment, I have to have some work done, I was given a piece of paper detailing what I need to have done and with the price, I then went to the reception to make more appointments and I was asked to pay there and then the whole price, the last time I went to the dentist here in the UK was over a year ago but I have never ever had to pay up front, I'm always told it's fine to pay at the end of treatment.

Has something changed recently? I have been to about 5/6 different dentists on the NHS in my life, in London and in Wales in different wards.
No, in my experience it is unusual. I usually pay for work after it has been done. I think I may have paid a deposit in advance for expensive bridgework, but I don't remember doing so.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 12:02 am
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

When I visit my regular dentist just for a clean then I pay there and then, after it.

When I got my brace at an orthadontist I had to pay 50% there and then, and the rest in monthly instalments.

Basically no it is not unusual, depends on what the dentist wants to do and what options they give.
Old Mar 23rd 2017, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wasss

Not been to a dentist yet in the UK but in the US I am used to paying same day after receiving treatment.

If you are paying by credit card then you are not really handing over money until you pay your card balance so if you have a problem you can always stop the credit card payment just like you can with any service you pay for on a credit card and don't get what you paid for.