Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

No wars, just opinions - location

No wars, just opinions - location

Old Nov 26th 2014, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No wars, just opinions - location

Don't know if this will make any difference to the suggestions given, but I think that the OP & family were hoping not to have a car and rely only on public transport.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I'd take the job in Thurnscoe over Leicester but I wouldn't necessarily live in the village itself. I don't know it specifically but being located at the centre of the unholy trinity of Barnsley, Rotherham and Doncaster doesn't do an awful lot to recommend it. Industrial towns with no industry left.
Yes, this area was devastated by the closure of almost all of the coal industry in the 80's. Nearby Grimethorpe is where the movie "Brassed Off" was filmed. A lot of money has been spent revegetating old areas of slag heaps etc, but although it now looks ok, the area still has high unemployment etc.

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Only 30 minutes away though is Sheffield, which is a great city, and is still on the rise in terms of its appeal. House prices are relatively cheap in South Yorkshire and you could live in some beautiful spots either in the city or on the outskirts depending on how close you'd like to be to town which would represent excellent value for money compared to anything similar in the South-East.
Sheffield's a great place imo.
Old Nov 27th 2014, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

moggi1964 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know Thurnscoe though haven't been there in about 15 years.

It's a typical ex-mining community with above average unemployment and a mostly working class demographic. I grew up in a similar community not too far from there.

I expect that anti-social behaviour will be a problem as well as theft of property (I haven't looked at the crime stats - just my hunch) but at the same time the people are generally friendly and 'take me as you find me' types.

Depending on where the job is (I think I missed that in the original post) I would likely try to live in an outlying village or around Sheffield as others have suggested.

Best of luck in whatever you choose and don't let the ilivehere website influence you too much; my examination of it suggests it is often misleading.
Old Nov 29th 2014, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Pondhopper2014,

This might give you a little bit of a feel for Leicesteshire.

Old Nov 30th 2014, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know Leicester really but my sister lives in Nottingham and has done for 20 years. She loves it there although I understand there are good and bad areas of it like most cities. Don't know if it's commutable. My sister commutes to Loughborough by public transport.