No National Insurance #

Old Jul 7th 2017, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

baltar42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: No National Insurance #

Originally Posted by cdfergus
So, I have been in touch via phone and mail with HMRC for ages and they cannot locate a number for me. I am traveling to UK in Sept to find a place to live and will be staying with my cousin. I know it is probably not kosher, but could I apply while I am there and use his address do you think? From the UK.gov website it looks as though I could phone for a number as I am not applying for benefits. Thoughts anyone

BTW, I need a number to apply for housing

Thanks

Best thing to do is to walk into a local Job Centre (they usually handle issuing temporary and permanent NI numbers).
I called the number and was given an appointment. It takes a few weeks to issue a new NI number for you (if they can't find the old one), but in the meantime they'll give you a temporary one to use.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

cdfergus is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by baltar42
Best thing to do is to walk into a local Job Centre (they usually handle issuing temporary and permanent NI numbers).
I called the number and was given an appointment. It takes a few weeks to issue a new NI number for you (if they can't find the old one), but in the meantime they'll give you a temporary one to use.
Thanks, I shall do that
Old Jul 7th 2017, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't think temporary NI numbers had been used for years. Certainly employers and the HMRC don't use them any more. I work in payroll and if somebody doesn't have an NI number, that field is just left blank by HR.

The temporary number used to be TN plus date of birth in format DDMMYY plus F for female or M for male eg TN010780F
Old Jul 7th 2017, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
They should be allowed local authority housing, but NOT housing or Council tax benefit.
There is a difference. Council houses have cheap subsidized rent. Housing provided by the local authroity via housing associations charge market rent. So being supplied housing through the local authority is not always good unless you are on benefits.

For example the studio flat we were renting out privately in Heathrow was being charged back to the local council for just over £800, privately rented it was under £700 for the same type of flat.

Reason being is that for landlords to be able to rent direct to council tenants they have to go through a management agent who take 15%-20%

London councils do work slightly differently to other parts of the country.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
I can point out Housing Associations in Scotland that have empty properties waiting for tenants.
That makes nil difference. There are tens of thousands of empty properties, but getting one allocated is another thing.

We looked at it last year. Both British citizens, already living in the UK and satisfied the habitual residence test - something the OP won't - and best case was if we're were happy to live anywhere we would be looking at 4+ years. I also have a disabled spouse and am myself registered disabled, which gives a higher priority. Both about to become homeless.

I have staff in Scotland where I now work who are desperate for a council house or flat. All Scottish born and bred. With children and some with a number of other issues such as caring for elderly parents or a disabled spouse. They have been on the list a decade plus.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

baltar42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
I didn't think temporary NI numbers had been used for years. Certainly employers and the HMRC don't use them any more. I work in payroll and if somebody doesn't have an NI number, that field is just left blank by HR.

The temporary number used to be TN plus date of birth in format DDMMYY plus F for female or M for male eg TN010780F

Hi

I was issued a permanent NI number in 2011. I was given a temporary one to use prior to that (whilst I was in the process of obtaining a permanent one). It wasn't a problem back then, but I'm not sure if it's been scrapped since. If it has been scrapped, then there must be a replacement procedure (to the temporary NI number) for those who arrive in the UK for work, but who do not yet have an NI number.

Anyway, in my experience, the Job Centre staff were really helpful and I received my permanent NI number a few weeks after I'd visited them.

Last edited by baltar42; Jul 8th 2017 at 7:11 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2017, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Verystormy
Housing Associations in my area have available properties and will let them to suitable tenants. The issue in m this area of rural Scotland is that deindustrialisation has destroyed so many jobs that there is no work for people here !

Send me a pm and I will put you in touch with the associations of which I speak !
Old Jul 9th 2017, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

I thought if you started a job in the UK and do not have an NI number, that one is allocated on the employers first return to HMRC. The job Centre is a good place to start as others have said.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 2:30 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

It's been a good few years since I had anything to do with NINOs but from googling it seems not that much has changed.

HMRC never did issue temporary NINOs. Although they had the responsibility for issuing NINOs since sometime in the 1990s, the interviews and form completion remained the responsibility of DWP (Job centres), the government organisation who did it all before the tax folk took over responsibility. It was them issuing the TNs in the form you mention.

Good for your employer in being able to leave the NINO field blank but not all employers are the same though. Some have computer systems that just will not accept blanks. Something has to go there and a TN works.

Many employers mistakenly believe a NINO gives someone the right to work. Conversely some wrongly believe the absence means someone cannot work.

You don't need an agency to apply but this is from NI-Apply from this year.
Before Your National Insurance Number is Issued

A common misconception is that you must have your National Insurance number before applying for a job or starting work. This is not the case. Employers can use a temporary National Insurance number for you while you wait for your number to be issued.
University of Salford, page updated July 2016
What happens after the interview?

You will wait approximately 3 - 4 weeks before receiving your NIN, but you can work using a temporary number while your application is being processed. An employer cannot refuse to allow you to start work if you can provide evidence that you have applied for a permanent NIN and are just waiting to receive it.
Googling brings up countless similar results.

Sometimes you are in the hands of employers and unfortunately many work with misinformation. It's of little use to know the absence of a NINO doesn't mean you can't work, if the employer doesn't let you start.

The problem was so common that my DWP office produced a form letter stating that a NINO was not necessary.

A temporary number, just to get beyond the computer problem is such a simple solution. Great if the computer accepts no input.

Ever used a contact box on a website and have it absolutely insist on your phone number or you can't send off the query?

It will accept an obviously wrong phone number, as long as there's an entry. Rather like an employer with a TNxxxxxxM
Old Jul 9th 2017, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

The 'no NI number = no job' is not the only common misconception. Another one we often hear is 'no P45 = no job'.' Ex-employees often say that to us when they phone to enquire after their P45. Or they say their new employer won't pay them without it. Of course it's nonsense. They can fill out a 'starter checklist.' New staff coming from abroad would obviously not have a P45.
Old Jul 9th 2017, 2:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The 'no NI number = no job' is not the only common misconception. Another one we often hear is 'no P45 = no job'.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

cdfergus is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by scot47
Verystormy
Housing Associations in my area have available properties and will let them to suitable tenants. The issue in m this area of rural Scotland is that deindustrialisation has destroyed so many jobs that there is no work for people here !

Send me a pm and I will put you in touch with the associations of which I speak !