No credit history in UK

Old Aug 13th 2015, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

Cockneykiwi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No credit history in UK

Hi,
We are hoping to move back to the UK sometime next year. We'd like to get back on the housing ladder as quickly as possible but I understand not having any credit history there will delay us getting a mortgage, loans etc. Does anyone have any tips for speeding up the process of developing a credit history even before we leave for the UK?

Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 7:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No credit history in UK

Originally Posted by Cockneykiwi
Hi,
We are hoping to move back to the UK sometime next year. We'd like to get back on the housing ladder as quickly as possible but I understand not having any credit history there will delay us getting a mortgage, loans etc. Does anyone have any tips for speeding up the process of developing a credit history even before we leave for the UK?

Thanks for your help.
Probably the only thing you can do in advance is see if you can get on the electoral roll. Depending on when you left you may still be able to register to vote in your old constituency, which would put you back on the electoral roll.
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

Swatmozzies is an unknown quantity at this point

I just went through this securing a rental in Brighton. I had to pay 6 months rent in advance plus a downpayment on the Deposit Protection Scheme with a Private Landlord. Agents required the same plus all fees. Although I checked with my UK bank my credit rating was fine, as soon as I mentioned I had been living in the US for a long period of time these were the terms.
Hope this helps.
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cockneykiwi
Hi,

Thanks for your help.
Hi
As crazy as it sounds, get yourself a credit card as soon as you get back. Use it to buy everything then pay it off each month.
Get a small loan and pay that off, even buy a car on finance, basically anything to show you can be responsible with money.
Old Aug 30th 2015, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

I never understood why credit history doesn't span international boundaries, especially between closely connected countries. When we moved to Canada from U.S., we had to start from scratch, as if we just became adults out of school.

As mentioned above, getting credit cards and opening checking/savings accounts as soon as possible is the best way to begin building a history. Utility bill payments as well.
Old Sep 4th 2015, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

salmoncolour is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup, store card/credit card and current account are your fastest ways. Then mobile phone contract. Set up direct debits. Put your name on the electoral register or if you can't go on it, put a note on your credit record explaining why.
Old Sep 5th 2015, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by salmoncolour
Yup, store card/credit card and current account are your fastest ways. Then mobile phone contract. Set up direct debits. Put your name on the electoral register or if you can't go on it, put a note on your credit record explaining why.

Why is the electoral roll connected to credit worthiness and one's credit file?
Old Sep 5th 2015, 11:13 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: No credit history in UK

Originally Posted by colchar
It shows that the person has stability and less likely to 'do a runner' leaving debts behind than someone of no established/fixed abode. I'm not sure what happens when the person isn't a British or Irish citizen, perhaps their credit rating is lower, at least initially

When we relocated to the US from Singapore (albeit many years ago) we had no credit rating at all, we only had our L1 and L2 non-immigrant visas...however my spouse definitely wanted to buy a house rather than rent. We produced copies of our bank statements going back for the previous 18 months and paid our banks (Lloyds IoM) and UOB (Singapore) to write a letter 'To Whom It May Concern' that we were in good financial standing with them. My spouse also was able to provide a letter with his salary details and we were able to secure a mortgage, albeit at a higher rate.

Now if I was relocating from the US to the UK or vice-versa, I would get copies of the credit reports from the three major credit rating agencies; Experian, TransUnion and Equifax as this would hopefully be of use when applying for any kind of credit/utility etc. It helps to provide a picture of the (hopefully good) financial management of the applicant

BTW the three main credit bureaus in the UK are Experian, Equifax and CallCredit. The first two are operated seperately from their namesakes in the US, but it would still be useful to print off the most recent credit reports when relocating.

Last edited by Englishmum; Sep 5th 2015 at 11:16 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2015, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

salmoncolour is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Englishmum
It shows that the person has stability and less likely to 'do a runner' leaving debts behind than someone of no established/fixed abode. I'm not sure what happens when the person isn't a British or Irish citizen, perhaps their credit rating is lower, at least initially
It affect the rating, yes. :/ That's why I suggested putting a note on the credit report (you can do this on Experian, not sure of others) explaining why.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
Because they want to check you are who you say you are.
They don't like gaps in information that could be caused by e.g. periods in prison or living "under the radar" to avoid debt collectors.
This is the problem when you return from abroad.
In the UK, certain districts or even streets can show up very poor credit ratings and you can be refused credit just because you live there.
A few years ago a credit card company contacted me to ask if I had applied for a credit card.
Apparently someone had applied from my old address using my details.
They discovered the attempted fraud using the electoral roll.
It saved me a lot of grief and them a lot of money.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

alexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond repute

I have been through all of this as I moved back a year ago.

Best thing is to get a credit card - I got one from Capital One but there are others like it - they are called credit-builder cards

Get on electoral roll

Get a post-paid mobile phone (this apparently helps your credit rating)

Make sure you get council tax, electricity/gas, water and phone in your name asap - it all helps with your credit score.

I made the mistake of applying for instore credit one month after my credit card and my credit rating plummeted for some reason like 'applying for too many things' - despite being told to apply for credit.

So don't apply for more than one credit at a time and definitely 2/3 months apart.

After a year, I still don't have a credit rating high enough for a normal mortgage.

Check your credit rating every few months to see the progress.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 5:20 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: No credit history in UK

There is some very useful information in these links:

Credit scores: Boost your credit rating - MoneySavingExpert

Credit cards for bad credit: rebuild your credit - MSE

Getting a mortgage: boost your mortgage chances - MSE

Hope this helps!