Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Nice places to live in the U.K.?

Nice places to live in the U.K.?

Old May 5th 2017, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nice places to live in the U.K.?

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
We live in Winchester and I work in Southampton. A naked nympho with a suitcase of blow in hand and cash in the other strapped to a Ferrari coated with Jelly Babies couldn't make me swap those two things around.
They built a wall around Southampton for a reason.
Old May 5th 2017, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

ElleB is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions 😊
Old May 6th 2017, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

elizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond reputeelizabethsmum has a reputation beyond repute

Norfolk is lovely we live in North Walsham but Manningtree is lovely too.
Old May 8th 2017, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Crewe comes top in Hot Housing Index 2016 | News - print | Property Week
Crewe comes top in Hot Housing Index 2016
8 September 2016 | By Allister Hayman
Crewe has emerged as the top place to live in the UK, edging out North West neighbours Chester and Stockport, according to Property Week’s latest Hot Housing Index.
Crewe?
Chester is very nice, and to a lesser extent, Stockport.
But Crewe? What is there to speak of outside of the railway station?
Old May 8th 2017, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

Salznz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I have lived in Nz for 22 years and originally come from Kent. My partner is from Yorkshire and has only been in NZ for 18 months and is very homesick. We are heading back to the uk at the end of the month for a holiday and catch up of family and friends. But we are also gong back to have a open minded look at living back there. We are looking at Lincoln as we have done the rural life and city life and want a bit of both. We have my 83 year old mum coming with us so it's needs to be a nice area wherever we move to. Any thoughts about that area would be great, plus any info on pensions (not there yet!) as I have been out of the uk since 1995. And any other stuff that might help? Cheers in advance
Old May 9th 2017, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

ElleB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Salznz
Hi I have lived in Nz for 22 years and originally come from Kent. My partner is from Yorkshire and has only been in NZ for 18 months and is very homesick. We are heading back to the uk at the end of the month for a holiday and catch up of family and friends. But we are also gong back to have a open minded look at living back there. We are looking at Lincoln as we have done the rural life and city life and want a bit of both. We have my 83 year old mum coming with us so it's needs to be a nice area wherever we move to. Any thoughts about that area would be great, plus any info on pensions (not there yet!) as I have been out of the uk since 1995. And any other stuff that might help? Cheers in advance
Hi, you're probably best asking this question on the "moving back to the UK" forum so everyone can see
Old May 9th 2017, 10:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElleB
Hi, you're probably best asking this question on the "moving back to the UK" forum so everyone can see. ....
He has already - copied and pasted the same post.
Old May 10th 2017, 6:45 am
Just Joined

He is a she lol
Old May 11th 2017, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

He is a she lol
Well there is a lot of that around, your point?
Old May 11th 2017, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

No point just saying that I'm a girl not a boy!
Old May 12th 2017, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute

Can I just say, as someone who's lived in Oxfordshire and worked in the hospitals for many years now, Oxford is a great place for a young person to live. It has a young, transient population and many internationals. You don't want to need a car though, that's a nightmare. Traffic and parking are hideous, so much so that it negatively affects recruitment to the hospitals in the city.
It's expensive too, a little cheaper to live outside the city. But then if you are only looking after yourself, it's doable. And you'll find many friends in the same boat.
And it's also very beautiful and centrally located. A train to London takes an hour and the bus is also an easy trip straight along one motorway.
Old May 12th 2017, 12:06 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RollingStones
Can I just say, as someone who's lived in Oxfordshire and worked in the hospitals for many years now, Oxford is a great place for a young person to live. It has a young, transient population and many internationals. You don't want to need a car though, that's a nightmare. Traffic and parking are hideous, so much so that it negatively affects recruitment to the hospitals in the city.
It's expensive too, a little cheaper to live outside the city. But then if you are only looking after yourself, it's doable. And you'll find many friends in the same boat.
And it's also very beautiful and centrally located. A train to London takes an hour and the bus is also an easy trip straight along one motorway.
My 24 year old daughter is moving to the outskirts of Oxford next month. She says she's only going for 6 months but my brain is telling me we won't be seeing her again for a long long time - depending on finances. She's going to have a ball. I won't
Old May 12th 2017, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

RollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond reputeRollingStones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
My 24 year old daughter is moving to the outskirts of Oxford next month. She says she's only going for 6 months but my brain is telling me we won't be seeing her again for a long long time - depending on finances. She's going to have a ball. I won't
I envy your daughter your attitude.

My parents are gutted we're leaving and my Mother, who happens to be the mothpiece of my parents, is being particularly nasty about it. Now we're running the risk of damaging our relationship irreparably.

My hubby is a Kiwi. I met him when I was working in Auckland and honestly, when we met it was a thunderbolt moment. He moved over here to be with me and it all happened so quickly we had difficulties with parents on both sides.
Now 18 years later we've been offered a fantatic opportunity for 3 years and to say my Mother is not happy would be an understatement
Old May 12th 2017, 1:15 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RollingStones
I envy your daughter your attitude.

My parents are gutted we're leaving and my Mother, who happens to be the mothpiece of my parents, is being particularly nasty about it. Now we're running the risk of damaging our relationship irreparably.

My hubby is a Kiwi. I met him when I was working in Auckland and honestly, when we met it was a thunderbolt moment. He moved over here to be with me and it all happened so quickly we had difficulties with parents on both sides.
Now 18 years later we've been offered a fantatic opportunity for 3 years and to say my Mother is not happy would be an understatement
We moved over when the girls were 13 and 10. My mother's initial response was 'but I won't see the girls or you' (note the order), to which my eldest said 'but you take no notice of us now'. Out of the mouths of babes... It's taken my daughter a while to get to the point mentally to want and be able to do this so we have to say 'go and have a ball'. My inner self is saying 'please come home and please please don't meet a someone who wants you to stay'.

Deep breath and don't cry until she's gone through passport control and can't see me.
Old May 16th 2017, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

No point just saying that I'm a girl not a boy!
FYI, if you edit your profile to indicate that you are female then a little gender symbol appears alongside your name in all your posts so no one should make the same mistake again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.