NI Number

Old Oct 28th 2017, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute
Default NI Number

Im assuming the answer is no but my daughter was not living in the UK to get a NI number. She is home on the 17th dec. Can she not apply for one until the 18th?
Anyone know how long it takes to arrive?
Many thanks
Old Oct 28th 2017, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NI Number

Correct .... she applied for one once she is resident in the UK
Old Oct 28th 2017, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Correct .... she applied for one once she is resident in the UK
As I thought, thank you
Old Oct 28th 2017, 10:40 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you claimed child benefit for your daughter then she will already have one. She'll need to find out what it is.
Old Oct 28th 2017, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the DWP insist on an interview, even in cases where a NiNo has already been allocated.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scot47
I think the DWP insist on an interview, even in cases where a NiNo has already been allocated.

I read that was up to them. She can phone up the day after she arrives.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If you claimed child benefit for your daughter then she will already have one. She'll need to find out what it is.
It doesnt seem to work like that. All my children have had to phone for one. Our youngest was 13 when we came back and at 16 was not sent one.
Old Oct 29th 2017, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Concern over fraud has led to more secure procedures in issuing NiNos. A face-to-face interview is required at a Jobcentre specified by the DWP. This may be some distance away.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Concern over fraud has led to more secure procedures in issuing NiNos. A face-to-face interview is required at a Jobcentre specified by the DWP. This may be some distance away.
Our son went through this process last month and had to travel 50 miles to the nearest Jobcentre that does the interviews. The first part of the interview was a search to see if he did have a NINO. I attended as well to be able to better answer the questions on if we ever applied for child benefit.

The interview was scheduled about 10 days after he phoned. When he left he had a letter to show to possible employers to prove he was allowed to work. His NINO arrived in the post about 10 days later.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 9:17 am
Just Joined

Sailing is an unknown quantity at this point

You do not need to go to the job centre, just go to hmrc website and print of a form they will send a letter with it on. I completly forgot mine and had to do this when I moved back to the UK. Its quite an easy process.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sailing
You do not need to go to the job centre, just go to hmrc website and print of a form they will send a letter with it on. I completly forgot mine and had to do this when I moved back to the UK. Its quite an easy process.
When was this? I thought this was how it was, until my son returned end of September and I couldn’t find any such form on HMRC website, just instructions that a call to them was necessary. If such a form was available it would have shortened the interview significantly.
Old Nov 1st 2017, 11:07 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
When was this? I thought this was how it was, until my son returned end of September and I couldn’t find any such form on HMRC website, just instructions that a call to them was necessary. If such a form was available it would have shortened the interview significantly.
https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number
Old Nov 1st 2017, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, that is for a lost NI number rather than never having had one. On that page you linked to is another link.

If you’ve never had a National Insurance number
You can apply for a National Insurance number if you’ve never had one.
https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number
Old Nov 1st 2017, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Yes, that is for a lost NI number rather than never having had one. On that page you linked to is another link.
You mentioned your son 'returned' to the UK. Did you ever claim child benefit on his behalf?
Old Nov 1st 2017, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

You mentioned your son 'returned' to the UK. Did you ever claim child benefit on his behalf?
No, we left in 1987 when he was 4, and although there was a benefit paid called “family allowance” which was paid to the mother of every child it did not require said child to have a NINO. I have a nephew here who was born in 1998 and he didn’t get a NINO until he was 16, and that was when a letter to him arrived in the post with his NINO.

When my son called for his NINO last month all his details were taken including date and place of birth which was why I was surprised that when he turned up for his interview the background check and search for his NINO was done there and then.

I understand the need to appear in person with passport in hand and proof of address to prevent fraud. He had also been told to bring a letter signed by us to say that he was living with us and also for us to provide a utility bill to prove we lived at that address. (He also had to have that letter and utility bill when opening his bank account.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.