Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

NI contributions and catch up

NI contributions and catch up

Old Mar 14th 2014, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NI contributions and catch up

Originally Posted by dunroving
... in other words, they have taken one complicated system and replaced it with another complicated system.
yep! with added complexity for the transition period...

I guess in about 40 years time, when the youngsters that will be starting work post April 2016 are coming up to retirement, things might just be a bit simpler....
Old Mar 14th 2014, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
Just to correct a couple of inaccuracies...

If you are referring to the introduction of the single tier pension in 2016, the amount of qualifying years required is 35, not 39.
Typo, I meant 35 of course. In my defence, it was the early hours of the morning when I posted.

You might, if you are able to make up your qualifying years to 35, either by working or paying voluntary contributions.
That's what contributions are in the UK: working or voluntary. We use to call them a "stamp".

Not according the government factsheet - https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...fact-sheet.pdf - check out the 'Myth Busting' section ....
I'll read the lasted guidelines over the weekend, although I'm sure we will see them change again. I have had 3 letters about my pension age over the last few years and each one changed the previous letter and was a greater loss for the pensioner. A few more years and it will be age 70 for a state pension.

At age 68 for a state pension at the moment, some will die before they claim. Under the new rules, their partner will not benefit from their state pension that they never claimed either. That's two savings there for the welfare state.

Last edited by formula; Mar 14th 2014 at 11:37 am.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
... in other words, they have taken one complicated system and replaced it with another complicated system.
That they keep changing; just like the last system

When they changed from 39/44 to 30 years, some missed the cutoff and couldn't have a full state pension as they didn't have 39/44. Those born a few days later got a full pension if they had less than 39/44 but had at least 30 years as they came under the new rules; which then changed again.

The best plan is not to rely on a state pension, then you won't be dissapointed

Last edited by formula; Mar 14th 2014 at 11:44 am.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 1:21 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Probably this has been covered earlier in the thread or in another thread, so apologies for that.

I will reach British state pension age in August 2015, my 65th birthday. Does that mean (in relation to the new system coming in in 2016) that on the one hand, I only need 30 years to get the full pension, but on the other hand, the full pension for me and my peers is lower?
Old Mar 14th 2014, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Probably this has been covered earlier in the thread or in another thread, so apologies for that.

I will reach British state pension age in August 2015, my 65th birthday. Does that mean (in relation to the new system coming in in 2016) that on the one hand, I only need 30 years to get the full pension, but on the other hand, the full pension for me and my peers is lower?
Yes, that is correct
Old Mar 14th 2014, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234

I think I heard that you can buy extra credits to make up the difference.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I think I heard that you can buy extra credits to make up the difference.
Yes, you can make up contributions... but I don't think you can change the fact that if you start collecting your pension before April 2016, you will be on the current system not the new, single tier system.

I'm not too sure if deferring receipt of your pension until after April 2016 (even if eligible earlier) would put you into the new system.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you can make up contributions... but I don't think you can change the fact that if you start collecting your pension before April 2016, you will be on the current system not the new, single tier system.

I'm not too sure if deferring receipt of your pension until after April 2016 (even if eligible earlier) would put you into the new system.
I can't find any articles, maybe as it is not law yet, but I remember an episode of Money Box where they were discussing this with the pensions minister and there is a scheme proposed for the folks about to retire under the old system.

If I were turning 65 in the next year or 2 I would delay if I didn't need the money until the law becomes clear.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

I can't find any articles, maybe as it is not law yet, but I remember an episode of Money Box where they were discussing this with the pensions minister and there is a scheme proposed for the folks about to retire under the old system.

If I were turning 65 in the next year or 2 I would delay if I didn't need the money until the law becomes clear.
This discusses the proposal for buying more credits for existing pensioners.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/p...e-pension.html

Chancellor George Osborne announced in his Autumn Statement that pensioners missing out on the flat-rate £155-a-week state pension will get the chance to boost their incomes in a six month window between October 2015 and April 2016.
It is thought that pensioners will be able to purchase between £1 and around £25-a-week that will be paid as benefits on top of their basic state pension and additional state pension (S2P or Serps).
In his speech, Mr Osborne said: 'I can announce that we are also going to offer current pensioners an opportunity to make voluntary national insurance contributions to boost their income in retirement.
'We will also extend this opportunity to those who reach pension age before the introduction of the single tier pension.
'This will help those who haven’t built up much entitlement to the Additional State Pension, especially women and the self-employed.'
Old Mar 14th 2014, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

I just looked again at the fact sheet I linked to earlier - https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...fact-sheet.pdf

and that states that it is the date that you reach pension eligibility that determines if you are on the new single tier pension or not - deferring wont make any difference.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for that - not seen that before

Hopefully, it will get a bit more publicity once the details are announced.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

I just looked again at the fact sheet I linked to earlier - https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...fact-sheet.pdf

and that states that it is the date that you reach pension eligibility that determines if you are on the new single tier pension or not - deferring wont make any difference.
Good spot, I see that.

Thanks for that - not seen that before

Hopefully, it will get a bit more publicity once the details are announced.
Yep, keep monitoring, and hoping.
Old Mar 14th 2014, 4:35 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, both, for your information on this topic. Seems complicated, moving from one system to the other, and presumably (as good public policy) trying to iron out anomalies that could be seen as unfair to one age group or another.

My situation is that I started paying Class 2 NICs about three or four years ago, but I obviously should have started earlier as I currently have 27 years altogether, I believe, but I'm 63 years old. (I had 19 years of stamps as a result of working up to 1991.)
Old Mar 16th 2014, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

z1565124 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by formula

I'm almost thinking this might be the safest option. I think if I can pay class 2 I will do it, if not then I won't bother and just use my own funds to finance my retirement.
Old Mar 16th 2014, 12:51 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
I would not want state pension as my only retirement income, but you'd be a fool not to pay Class 2 NICs as they are such good value for money.

IMHO a state pension is still a vital component of retirement income. It provides steady, inflation linked income and its a nice complement to any other retirement funds you have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.