NHS for non UK residents

Old Feb 27th 2015, 2:11 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS for non UK residents

Somewhat closer to home for me, i used to work in a part of the nhs that pays for (commissions) services, ergo i know of what i speak, and i had the best advice on how to advise others to proceed within the system.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 2:13 pm

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

The rules effectively normally depend on your intentions, they will pay for anything if you return intending to stay but there are 3 and 6 month rules in places. However the nhs pastes itself into a corner if a patient has to be helped because not to do so puts them at immediate risk of harm.
Old Feb 27th 2015, 2:15 pm

Eg return after 30 years and convince a gp that you are here now for life and are seriously suicidal and the nhs is your oyster...
Old Feb 27th 2015, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony Cobb
I take it then that it is OK for someone who has never paid a penny piece in Tax or NI to get free treatment without paying for it. They should, according to you, pay for treatment and I agree with you.
Absent minors, it's pretty hard to see what resident wouldn't be paying tax of one form or another, be it income tax, VAT, petrol tax etc.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_grenada
Its also not that simple if you return. Depending on what you need, if it isnt emergency treatment, you may have to wait 3 or 6 months before you can get it free. Eg i understand a lady moved to the us, 30 years later well before retirement age, has early onset alzheimers, her us employer probably illegally bought her a 1 way ticket to london and disposed of the problem... So she arrives, and is passed to relatives, like a lost parcel, who have no space finances etc to look after her. Let alone any patience to deal with thT nightmare disease. The correct route after asking experts is to dump her in a&e. They have a duty to assess her which takes 2 months, she isnt safe to release, theres a financial fight between social services and the nhs, but she isnt impacted, and after a few more months she falls into the official system, and receives ongoing care costing us all, circa 200k a year for life? Theres nobody to extract finances from, apart from a theoretical us social services system, that maybe the uk social services can squeeze.
Especially a link for the employer who illegally bought her a one way ticket.

I returned to UK in October after 35 years away. No problem at all getting NHS number - in fact was much easier to get health care (non emergency) than it was to open a bank account.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 11:01 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_grenada
Eg return after 30 years and convince a gp that you are here now for life and are seriously suicidal and the nhs is your oyster...
Those damn gullible GPs and tricky suicidal people - bugger the oysters, let them eat fish fingers
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wombat7

I returned to UK in October after 35 years away. No problem at all getting NHS number - in fact was much easier to get health care (non emergency) than it was to open a bank account.
So true wombat!