Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

NHS cover for American wife with Type 1 Diabetes moving to UK with British husband

NHS cover for American wife with Type 1 Diabetes moving to UK with British husband

Old Jan 17th 2017, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

CM21047 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NHS cover for American wife with Type 1 Diabetes moving to UK with British husband

I am a British citizen by birth currently a resident in the USA.

My wife is an American citizen. She is a type 1 diabetic and as such has extensive medical needs.

We are looking at moving back to the UK this year as I have a suitable job offer.

My question is when will my wife be covered on the NHS for her insulin and insulin pump supplies?

Thanks
Old Jan 17th 2017, 9:35 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS cover for American wife with Type 1 Diabetes moving to UK with British husban

Yes.
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS cover for American wife with Type 1 Diabetes moving to UK with British husban

Originally Posted by CM21047
I am a British citizen by birth currently a resident in the USA.

My wife is an American citizen. She is a type 1 diabetic and as such has extensive medical needs.

We are looking at moving back to the UK this year as I have a suitable job offer.

My question is when will my wife be covered on the NHS for her insulin and insulin pump supplies?

Thanks
Yes. Provided she is lawfully living "ordinarily" in the UK... if applicable in your case the Idefinite leave to remain status would mean she is entitled to free NHS treatment. However, your wife may have to pay prescription charges for her medication. Information is here https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...esident-uk.pdf

and information about prescription charges is here
Help with prescription costs - Health costs - NHS Choices
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Yes.
snap!!!
Old Jan 17th 2017, 9:44 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
snap!!!
You get extra points for showing your working out
Old Jan 17th 2017, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

CM21047 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the quick replies!

We have a two year old son and 12 week old daughter. They both have American passports as we were just back over Christmas visiting. I've applied to get them UK passports too.

Next we need to get my wife a visa.

Insane amount of paperwork for all this.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CM21047
Thanks for the quick replies!

Insane amount of paperwork for all this.
My immigration papers for the US are over an inch thick !

The visa for your wife is likely to take less than three months to come through, while a spouse visa for the US can take up to 12 months.

Count yourself lucky ..... and she'll have health care which does not cost a fortune !
Old Jan 18th 2017, 3:47 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Yes. Provided she is lawfully living "ordinarily" in the UK... if applicable in your case the Idefinite leave to remain status would mean she is entitled to free NHS treatment. However, your wife may have to pay prescription charges for her medication. Information is here https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...esident-uk.pdf

and information about prescription charges is here
Help with prescription costs - Health costs - NHS Choices
Wouldn't she come in on a spousal visa and be required to pay the £200 annual NHS surcharge to get NHS treatment. I know that's peanuts compared to the US costs.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by nun
Wouldn't she come in on a spousal visa and be required to pay the £200 annual NHS surcharge to get NHS treatment. I know that's peanuts compared to the US costs.
Correct but if she doesn't pay the surcharge she won't get the visa. It's a bit of political window dressing when the government could have just raised visa fees instead and made everyone's lives a bit easier.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 8:22 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

NHS provision of an insulin pump is not automatic. There are criteria. If you don't meet the criteria you have to pay for it yourself, and the supplies.

Last edited by Editha; Jan 18th 2017 at 8:28 am. Reason: Link wasn't working.