NHS

Old Jul 12th 2014, 6:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default NHS

Hypothetical situation - if I were to move to the UK in 3 years time, would I first need to go to Malta and obtain my Karta ta Identita - which would give me access to the Maltese health system - and from there obtain my EHIC from Malta in order to use the NHS in the UK?

Not having government health care would curb moving to the UK for me for sure.
Old Jul 12th 2014, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS

I don't believe so. If you are an EU citizen and move to the UK you will be eligible for NHS services when you arrive.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lgabriel73
If you are an EU citizen and move to the UK you will be eligible for NHS services when you arrive.
They are only allowed free NHS when they are working in the UK. If they don't work; or are looking for work in the UK; or are self sufficient in the UK;or a student in the UK who doesn't work x hours per week, then they need a comprehensive health insurance policy. Most EU citizens use their own EU countries EHIC card instead of buying a comprehensice health insurance policy, so that the NHS collects the cost of any treatment from their own EU country.

You would have to check to see if Malta will issue you with an EHIC (pay for any NHS treatment) if you have never worked in Malta.

Plans to charge EU citizen patients (if they aren't working in the UK) 125% of the cost of their treatment and 150% of the cost for those not resident in the EU, as a carrot to encourage hospitals to claim back the NHS debt. And the stick: fines planned for hospitals who can't be bothered to reclaim the NHS debt.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28291276

We already know that under the new law that came in 2 months ago, that treatment in A&E will cease to be free for everyone, unless it's life threatening and the condition just appeared while in the UK; there is no stay on a ward; you are a legal resident in the UK; you in the country as a legal resident on a visa for more than 6 months; you work in the UK under EU laws; existing exceptions.

Last edited by formula; Jul 14th 2014 at 12:44 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 11:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
They are only allowed free NHS if they are working in the UK. If they don't work in the UK, then they need a comprehensive health insurance policy. Or they can their own EU countries EHIC card, so that the NHS collects the cost of treatment from their country.
This. I think it was your post I read a couple days ago that said if you are working in the UK, you get NHS, but if you are self sufficient / self employed or studying, you need insurance or an EHIC...
Old Jul 14th 2014, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
This. I think it was your post I read a couple days ago that said if you are working in the UK, you get NHS, but if you are self sufficient / self employed or studying, you need insurance or an EHIC...
Probably. A lot of people are reporting they have been refused PR when they tried, as they didn't have proof of a comprehensive insurance policy for the entire 5 years, or an EHIC. Some even seem surprised when they send in their UK EHIC as evidience and are refused Even those with a non-EU partner who worked, have been refused as their stay is based on what the EU partner does.

Under EU laws you are not allowed to be an undue burden to the EU country you move to and this includes free healthcare if the EU citizen doesn't work in that country.

A friend of mine went to work in Austria and when he went to hospital there, he had to prove he had worked in Austria that week, to get free medical treatment. It looks like the UK government is going to stop NHS abuse.

Just because some UK hospitals haven't bothered to bill, doesn't mean you can use the NHS for free. It's up to the individual to ensure they have the right to use the NHS for free. Dentists seem more up on it and some will add a fine to the bill if they discover someone used NHS treatment when they shouldn't. The dentist gets to keep the fine. It seems hospitals too will soon be told to add a fine (a %) to keep, or get fined if they don't call in NHS debts.

Last edited by formula; Jul 14th 2014 at 1:21 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Gozit, I think the key is whether you are resident in the UK or not, and if so how you prove it. I believe that if you ARE resident in the UK you get free access to NHS care, which is residency based and not contribution based.

Whether that will still be the case in three years time remains to be seen. The NHS is creaking at the seams.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Gozit, I think the key is whether you are resident in the UK or not, and if so how you prove it. I believe that if you ARE resident in the UK you get free access to NHS care, which is residency based and not contribution based.
EU law is different to UK law. As an EU, he will get full free NHS when he works. UK citizens working in other EU countries, get all the free medical treatment that citizens of that EU county gets. If they don't work, then they don't get free mediacl treatment. That's why all the Brits that retired to Spain, who are alllowed to live there under the self sufficiency part of free movement law, have their Spanish medical treatment paid for by the UK.

Under the new UK Immigration bill that was made law in May 2014, when the relevant part starts, immigrants residing under UK laws (visas) will be charged an NHS levy and they won't get the full free NHS until they are granted ILR.

Whether that will still be the case in three years time remains to be seen. The NHS is creaking at the seams.
Not only the NHS, all services are struggling, schools, welfare, roads etc

I've never seen the NHS budget so tight and we still need to make more cuts. Already, things that use to be free on the NHS, aren't anymore. Or if they are still free, the budget isn't there to pay for it.

Hence why all the new welfare laws, immigration laws and NHS laws; the new laws already in that now need a start date; all the planned new laws and things that "are being looked at".

Last edited by formula; Jul 14th 2014 at 2:11 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Probably. A lot of people are reporting they have been refused PR when they tried, as they didn't have proof of a comprehensive insurance policy for the entire 5 years, or an EHIC. Some even seem surprised when they send in their UK EHIC as evidience and are refused Even those with a non-EU partner who worked, have been refused as their stay is based on what the EU partner does.

Under EU laws you are not allowed to be an undue burden to the EU country you move to and this includes free healthcare if the EU citizen doesn't work in that country.

A friend of mine went to work in Austria and when he went to hospital there, he had to prove he had worked in Austria that week, to get free medical treatment. It looks like the UK government is going to stop NHS abuse.

Just because some UK hospitals haven't bothered to bill, doesn't mean you can use the NHS for free. It's up to the individual to ensure they have the right to use the NHS for free. Dentists seem more up on it and some will add a fine to the bill if they discover someone used NHS treatment when they shouldn't. The dentist gets to keep the fine. It seems hospitals too will soon be told to add a fine (a %) to keep, or get fined if they don't call in NHS debts.
So maybe if I were to move to the UK get the EHIC anyways just in case? Last thing i'd want is to be refused ILR and British citizenship....

You all say when you are 'working' in the UK you get NHS, but under 'self sufficient' you do not get NHS. Where does owning a small business run on that? You are contributing to the UK economy, paying taxes, etc but since small business falls under 'self sufficient' , you don't get the NHS...

Now it isn't a huge deal for me as I can easily pop over to Malta, get my ID card and EHIC even though I've never lived there... But for others it might be an issue...
Old Jul 14th 2014, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

So maybe if I were to move to the UK get the EHIC anyways just in case? Last thing i'd want is to be refused ILR and British citizenship....

It's best to have some sort of health cover until you are working, either an EHIC (not from the UK) or a comprehensive health insurance policy. The EHIC will be cheaper. Then, not only will you have your healthcare covered, but if you don't have one of these and you aren't working, then your 5 year clock to PR won't start until you work.

It's PR for those using EU laws and ILR for those using the UK laws.

If your heart is set on UK citizenship, do bare in mind that free movement rules might change before you get UK citizenship. Or the UK may leave, to end free movement and other EU laws. The In/Out vote is being offered by some UK political parties in the run up to the next general election, especially as UKIP (anti EU) just swept the board in England.

You all say when you are 'working' in the UK you get NHS, but under 'self sufficient' you do not get NHS. Where does owning a small business run on that? You are contributing to the UK economy, paying taxes, etc but since small business falls under 'self sufficient' , you don't get the NHS...

A legitimate business, registered with HMRC and paying taxes, is classed as self employed - working.

Some/many(?) of those using the self sufficient route, aren't complying with EU free movement and are refused PR for a variety of reasons.

Last edited by formula; Jul 14th 2014 at 3:51 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

I knew the bit about residents in Spain (and in France by the way). I did not know access to the NHS had stopped being residency based. I would have thought there would have been more noise, as it is a fundamental tenet. (Not disputing though that it HAD to change. One country cannot afford to treat an entire planet)
Old Jul 14th 2014, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

I knew the bit about residents in Spain (and in France by the way). I did not know access to the NHS had stopped being residency based. I would have thought there would have been more noise, as it is a fundamental tenet. (Not disputing though that it HAD to change. One country cannot afford to treat an entire planet)
It was quite hard fought for by the resident Brits. A lot of protest on the govenment's 'what do you want us to change' site under the 'NHS' tab, when this government first got into power. Although people seemed to want the 'must pass a medical to get a visa' that countries like NZ have to protect their health service for their citizens, instead of all these NHS budget cuts.

Last edited by formula; Jul 14th 2014 at 4:32 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2014, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's best to have some sort of health cover until you are working, either an EHIC (not from the UK) or a comprehensive health insurance policy. The EHIC will be cheaper. Then, not only will you have your healthcare covered, but if you don't have one of these and you aren't working, then your 5 year clock to PR won't start until you work.
Mind elaborating on this? So you mean if I have an EHIC from my country of citizenship (Malta) , the day I arrive in the UK to live, my 5 year clock starts? And if I don't have one, the clock doesn't start until I find work?

It's PR for those using EU laws and ILR for those using the UK laws.
six of one half dozen of the other?

If your heart is set on UK citizenship, do bare in mind that free movement rules might change before you get UK citizenship. Or the UK may leave, to end free movement and other EU laws. The In/Out vote is being offered by some UK political parties in the run up to the next general election, especially as UKIP (anti EU) just swept the board in England.
Yeah this I have thought about. But once I get PR/ILR, wouldn't free movement rules become irrelevant? And since both of my countries allow multiple citizenship then once eligible it would be a no-brainer to get UK citizenship. As I understand it since I am a commonwealth citizen on both passports (Canadian + Maltese, both are part of the commonwealth) I will be able to register as a British citizen rather than naturalise, which will be cheaper.

A legitimate business, registered with HMRC and paying taxes, is classed as self employed - working.

Some/many(?) of those using the self sufficient route, aren't complying with EU free movement and are refused PR for a variety of reasons.
I see... So a legit business owner would be eligible for NHS then? Not that it would matter since I would have an EHIC from Malta but they would be then right?
Old Jul 15th 2014, 12:53 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

As I understand it since I am a commonwealth citizen on both passports (Canadian + Maltese, both are part of the commonwealth) I will be able to register as a British citizen rather than naturalise, which will be cheaper.
Since 1983, the standard route to British citizenship, by residence, has been naturalisation. Including for Commonwealth country (and Irish) citizens. The registration option, based on residence + immigration status, is generally only open to those who have another form of British nationality.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 2:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JAJ
Since 1983, the standard route to British citizenship, by residence, has been naturalisation. Including for Commonwealth country (and Irish) citizens. The registration option, based on residence + immigration status, is generally only open to those who have another form of British nationality.
I remember Brit in Paris saying something to the contrary not too long ago

Whatever either way it would be foolish not to go for British citizenship after you get ILR and are eligible, and your country(ies) of nationality allow multiple nationality.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

There is little point in basing your plans for UK citizenship in 9 years time, on present EU rules and UK laws. EU laws can be interpreted in different ways by EU countries. EU rules and UK laws are always changing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.