Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

New procedure for getting UK police certificate

New procedure for getting UK police certificate

Old Feb 13th 2008, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default New procedure for getting UK police certificate

I posted this is the Marriage Based Visa forum but it's probably as relevant in here.

I can't see that this has been posted before but apologies if it has.

http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp

The cost has gone up to £35 too.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 1:57 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New procedure for getting UK police certificate

There has been some discussion on the canada forums as well. This is an additional service offered. The 10ukp subject access form route still exists as well. Although I am concerned that people will be informed that this is a new scheme and they will HAVE to pay the 35ukp .
Old Feb 14th 2008, 3:56 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: New procedure for getting UK police certificate

Just a quick question as I'm curious.

We received our Green Cards last October and prior to that were on the intra-company L1-A and L2 visas.

I'm pretty sure that we did not have to supply police certificates when we applied for our Green Cards about a year earlier (we are British but moved here from Singapore where we'd been living for 51/2 years). I know for a fact that we didn't provide police certificates from Singapore.

Is this a new development? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick and police certificates are only required if applying for US citizenship?
Old Feb 14th 2008, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Is this a new development? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick and police certificates are only required if applying for US citizenship?
Police certificates are required to obtain US visas. My OH required one from the UK and South Africa in order to obtain a K1 fiance visa. As far as I'm aware, this is still a requirement. This was not a requirement for citizenship, as we were trying to get him a visa to just be able to enter the US and lawfully apply for permanent residence.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
There has been some discussion on the canada forums as well. This is an additional service offered. The 10ukp subject access form route still exists as well. Although I am concerned that people will be informed that this is a new scheme and they will HAVE to pay the 35ukp .
Some English Police Forces have already stopped issuing certificates for £10 and are forcing people to apply the new way.

http://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/...prot/index.htm
Old Feb 14th 2008, 8:33 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

They can't do that , under the`data protection act you have a right to ask for a subject access search, you don't have to give them a reason.

this is being discussed here if you'd like to join in

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514258

The general consensus is this is a cynical money making ploy!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 9:30 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
They can't do that , under the`data protection act you have a right to ask for a subject access search, you don't have to give them a reason.

this is being discussed here if you'd like to join in

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514258

The general consensus is this is a cynical money making ploy!
For US visa applications (immigrant visas) this is what is now posted at the US Embassy London website.
It seems fairly clear to me that if you are going to apply for an immigrant (or K) visa that you need to provide this new certificate:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new/visa/iv/ukpc.html

U.K. Police Certificates
How to obtain a police certificate for the United Kingdom

Immigrant visa applicants, who have resided in the United Kingdom for 6 months or more since the age of 16, are required to obtain a police certificate from the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO). Further information is available from their website at http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp. This police certificate will serve to advise the U.S. Embassy, London whether or not any criminal conviction is held against him/her.

The police certificate will be sent to the address provided at the time of application. Please note that the Immigrant Visa Unit considers the police certificate valid for 12 months from the date of issuance, not six months as stated on the certificate.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Nottinghamshire UK > Florida > UK 10days >Ireland > BACK IN NOTTINGHAMSHIRE UK
pcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nicepcmaccallum is just really nice

Originally Posted by English Muffin
I posted this is the Marriage Based Visa forum but it's probably as relevant in here.

I can't see that this has been posted before but apologies if it has.

http://www.acpo.police.uk/certificates.asp

The cost has gone up to £35 too.
I contacted our local police station and they emailed me the £10 forms. I then saw the information for the £35 form so i rang the ACPO to ask which one i should use and they said it was the £35 one from now on. My police station didn't know about this one.