No National Insurance #

Old Jul 6th 2017, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

cdfergus is on a distinguished road
Default No National Insurance #

So, I have been in touch via phone and mail with HMRC for ages and they cannot locate a number for me. I am traveling to UK in Sept to find a place to live and will be staying with my cousin. I know it is probably not kosher, but could I apply while I am there and use his address do you think? From the UK.gov website it looks as though I could phone for a number as I am not applying for benefits. Thoughts anyone?

BTW, I need a number to apply for housing

Thanks
Old Jul 6th 2017, 6:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No National Insurance #

How old were you when you left the UK?

So you're bringing your American husband, on a spouse visa? .... What sort of housing are you applying for that you need an NI number?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 6th 2017 at 6:39 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
18. I was born in 1951 and at that time you had to apply for one. This changed in the 70's after I left. I never worked, and my family never claimed benefits so I never got one.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski

So you're bringing your American husband, on a spouse visa? .... What sort of housing are you applying for that you need an NI number?

With the local housing authority.
Old Jul 6th 2017, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to check that your wife is allowed assistance with housing under a spouse visa.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 2:12 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cdfergus
18. I was born in 1951 and at that time you had to apply for one. This changed in the 70's after I left. .
I started work in 1973 and, as you say, I applied for one.

6 months later it was a major part of my job to issue NI numbers

I'm not sure exactly when it was, maybe not until the 80s but NINOs were then triggered as a result of parents applications for child benefit, so people got numbers without necessarily knowing they had one and they were ready for when it was needed.

Many years later, around 2000 and with a completely new system, I was again involved with their issue occasionally and you could only get one if there was a need - a need being employment/tax or a benefit or pension claim that was to be paid by DWP (not local authority, although they would like one)

It sounds like you won't have one. Temporary numbers were generally issued when an application for a permanent one was made.

I imagine your only reason for needing one now would be tax and any potential Pension Credit application.

There should be no problem using a temporary or indefinite address so long as you have plenty to verify ID.

When I was doing the job an acknowledgment letter was issued and that would have the temporary NINO on it and this would satisfy the LA inlieu of the permanent one some weeks or months later depending on other difficulties.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cdfergus
With the local housing authority.
You do know that local authority housing is incredibly short supply and even priority cases can take years, while you will be regarded as very low priority. You may be waiting many years.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I can point out Housing Associations in Scotland that have empty properties waiting for tenants.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
I can point out Housing Associations in Scotland that have empty properties waiting for tenants.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

These are the ones we keep for dim-witted English visitors.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Old Jul 7th 2017, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
You might want to check that your wife is allowed assistance with housing under a spouse visa.
Thanks, I did check and we are OK on that!
Old Jul 7th 2017, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I started work in 1973 and, as you say, I applied for one.

6 months later it was a major part of my job to issue NI numbers

I'm not sure exactly when it was, maybe not until the 80s but NINOs were then triggered as a result of parents applications for child benefit, so people got numbers without necessarily knowing they had one and they were ready for when it was needed.

Many years later, around 2000 and with a completely new system, I was again involved with their issue occasionally and you could only get one if there was a need - a need being employment/tax or a benefit or pension claim that was to be paid by DWP (not local authority, although they would like one)

It sounds like you won't have one. Temporary numbers were generally issued when an application for a permanent one was made.

I imagine your only reason for needing one now would be tax and any potential Pension Credit application.

There should be no problem using a temporary or indefinite address so long as you have plenty to verify ID.

When I was doing the job an acknowledgment letter was issued and that would have the temporary NINO on it and this would satisfy the LA inlieu of the permanent one some weeks or months later depending on other difficulties.
Thank you!
Old Jul 7th 2017, 4:25 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
They should be allowed local authority housing, but NOT housing or Council tax benefit.
Old Jul 7th 2017, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, that is my understanding too. Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.