Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

Old Jul 5th 2011, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: new defra rules2012 for taking pets back to uk

See the READ ME section in this forum
Old Jul 5th 2011, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

So have I read that correctly? You no longer need to faff about with microchips/rabies vaccinations/titre tests all in the correct order - you just need to (use a pet export company to avoid quarantine, and) do the tick and tapeworm within 48 hrs of travelling?

That seems remarkably straight forward. (That'll be a first ).
Old Jul 5th 2011, 2:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New DEFRA Regs from January 2012

Threads merged
Old Jul 6th 2011, 12:01 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
So have I read that correctly? You no longer need to faff about with microchips/rabies vaccinations/titre tests all in the correct order - you just need to (use a pet export company to avoid quarantine, and) do the tick and tapeworm within 48 hrs of travelling?

That seems remarkably straight forward. (That'll be a first ).
I would not use a pet export company did not use one before and be darned if I am gonna pay someone to do something this simple.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I would not use a pet export company did not use one before and be darned if I am gonna pay someone to do something this simple.
I read this:

It must then enter the UK with an approved transport company on an authorised route (see below).

If your pet enters the UK with an unapproved transport company or on an unauthorised route you will need to arrange for it to be licensed into quarantine. It can be released from quarantine as soon as a documentary check confirms that it complies with the PETS rules. This usually takes no more than a few working days.

which is why I thought one might feel "obliged" to use a company to keep things simple and quick ...

Does the DIY route equal "unauthorized transport company", I wonder. You would hope not. Not everyone can afford extra for pet companies.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 1:31 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I think "approved transport company" means one of the airlines or ships that are approved by DEFRA. So if you chartered a jet (ha!) or travelled on an unapproved airline, your pet would be put in quarantine.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 2:29 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I think "approved transport company" means one of the airlines or ships that are approved by DEFRA. So if you chartered a jet (ha!) or travelled on an unapproved airline, your pet would be put in quarantine.
Yep when I took my last cat in he was taken from Cargo Air Portugalia at Faro Airport (Portugal) and flown over.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by ann m
I read this:

It must then enter the UK with an approved transport company on an authorised route (see below).

If your pet enters the UK with an unapproved transport company or on an unauthorised route you will need to arrange for it to be licensed into quarantine. It can be released from quarantine as soon as a documentary check confirms that it complies with the PETS rules. This usually takes no more than a few working days.

which is why I thought one might feel "obliged" to use a company to keep things simple and quick ...

Does the DIY route equal "unauthorized transport company", I wonder. You would hope not. Not everyone can afford extra for pet companies.
I managed to do it without a company, if I can then there is hope for anyone lol
Old Jul 6th 2011, 4:49 pm

Correct mother called Defra to confirm what this meant and it is indeed refering to the Airline carrier not the Pet carrier company..you DO NOT have to use one.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 5:25 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

God I am just dreading this. Somehow the new rules have brought it home to me. We have 3 cats who are all terrified of everything except us. They are going to be so afraid
Old Jul 6th 2011, 5:33 pm

God I am just dreading this. Somehow the new rules have brought it home to me. We have 3 cats who are all terrified of everything except us. They are going to be so afraid
I thought the same when Puss flew, I was sure she would have a heart attack, but she was fine they are well cared for and sleep most of the time they are in a seperate compartment of the hold, not thrown in with the luggage lol....I was told that they cannot have any kind of pet calm tablet incase it makes them sick and they choke on their own vomit (lovely) but serioulsy it does make sense, they will be fine kittys fly every day.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

nh94110 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am supposed to be on the QM2 in May of 12. I just contacted Cunard about the new regs from DEFRA. They are still figuring them out. I am coming from the US. In the old schema, the blood test had to be certified by a USDA vet. It isn't clean in the new scheme if the USDA vet has to certify the vaccination or not. And, if your pet has had rabies vaccines in the past, what do you do about a booster shot? Do you need all the paperwork that links back to the original vaccine? I couldn't find the answers to any of these questions on the DEFRA web site. Anyone know?

Also I noticed that one of the posters above was using PetJets...has anyone used them? Are they very expensive? Can you fly with your pet?

Thanks!
Old Jul 6th 2011, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by nh94110
Hi, I am supposed to be on the QM2 in May of 12. I just contacted Cunard about the new regs from DEFRA. They are still figuring them out. I am coming from the US. In the old schema, the blood test had to be certified by a USDA vet. It isn't clean in the new scheme if the USDA vet has to certify the vaccination or not. And, if your pet has had rabies vaccines in the past, what do you do about a booster shot? Do you need all the paperwork that links back to the original vaccine? I couldn't find the answers to any of these questions on the DEFRA web site. Anyone know?

Also I noticed that one of the posters above was using PetJets...has anyone used them? Are they very expensive? Can you fly with your pet?

Thanks!
With all due respect I think this does answer everything.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/publications...o-uk110706.pdf
Old Jul 6th 2011, 8:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nh94110

Thanks!
If I had any concerns over the new scheme I would contact DEFRA.

TBH given that your trip is so far away and your Cunard trip is booked I would go down the present route for taking your pet back to the UK...then you know for sure everything is OK. Good luck and welcome to BE.
Old Jul 7th 2011, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Wawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really niceWawa is just really nice

Sal, at least they will have each other on the plane! I wonder if they can be in the same cage (if its large enough?) or if they can be loaded closely enough together so they know their buddies are next door? Its worrying, I know. Mine will be flying solo, and she's a Siamese so God help the other animals, she never shuts up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.