New To This Board

Old Jul 6th 2014, 2:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New To This Board

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
With the Ghost Adventures crew 'talking to spirits' while the Gold Rush lot try to tear up the garden and run it through a wash plant held together with old coathangers
I see a new joint venture in our future. Essex Girls Enterprise
Old Jul 6th 2014, 2:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I see a new joint venture in our future. Essex Girls Enterprise
Birds of a Fevva
Old Jul 6th 2014, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

LoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud of

I don't know how many people watch this show but I love it.
"Almost Royal"
I know it's a mockumentary but it's very funny.
Amy Hoggart is a delight to watch.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LoveFortheUK
Hi Robin1234
Please don't get me wrong. There ARE some great cathedrals in the US but nothing like what I saw in those pictures of Canterbury Cathedral.

This is why I want to visit the UK. I have traveled all over the US and the only country I have visited outside my home base is Canada. It's time to get out of my box and soak up some real culture.
Culture is a relative term.
Chatting to my East European neighbour a few days ago. He was knocking French arrogance for presuming that they have any history at all! France is only a few hundred years old and far too recent a creation for that, he said.

By implication I suppose we Brits are a bit better off but I wonder what perspective the Chinese would have? Or an Indian for that matter?
Old Jul 6th 2014, 4:59 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I'm trying to work out which Eastern European country your neighbour came from that has a history so long that it makes France look like the new kid on the block.

France: history dating back to the iron age when it was known as Gaul. Medieval Capet dynasty founded 987 AD. A thousand years is not 'a few hundred'.

Greece and Italy can claim a longer history than France, but they are not in Eastern Europe.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 5:49 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
I'm trying to work out which Eastern European country your neighbour came from that has a history so long that it makes France look like the new kid on the block.

France: history dating back to the iron age when it was known as Gaul. Medieval Capet dynasty founded 987 AD. A thousand years is not 'a few hundred'.

Greece and Italy can claim a longer history than France, but they are not in Eastern Europe.
There were Ancient Greek city states and colonies in the Adriatic and the Black Sea. So maybe Bulgaria, Slovenia, Croatia etc. Not sure whether the Balkans and Black Sea qualify as Eastern Europe though...
Old Jul 7th 2014, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
There were Ancient Greek city states and colonies in the Adriatic and the Black Sea. So maybe Bulgaria, Slovenia, Croatia etc. Not sure whether the Balkans and Black Sea qualify as Eastern Europe though...
Armenia? Established 600 BC.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 2:31 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Armenia? Established 600 BC.
Exactly, Asterix wasn't even on the horizon in 600BC.
Old Jul 12th 2014, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

LoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud of

Hello everyone
I'm back with some more questions.

First, I was reading about the special events that are held in the UK throughout the year.
What is the London Parade like? The Jorvik Viking Festival? The Chelsea Antiques Fair? The Thames Festival? The Cheltanham Literature Festival?

Next, are trips to Windsor Castle, Winchester Cathedral, Battle (Sussex) and the Shambles worth the trip?

What is the difference between British dining and Modern British dining?

Thank you to anyone who provides any info.

p.s. I didn't know London suffered a plague in 1665, a year before the great fire. Two tragedies back to back. Must have been devastating.
Old Jul 12th 2014, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

London Parade - what do you mean? The Lord Mayors Parade? Magnificent pageantry but hard to get a good view. Notting Hill Carnival? Great fun, but keep your hand on your wallet.
Viking Festival - I loved it. 'Er Indoors hated it. Chelsea Antiques - if you like antiques, but it gets very crowded. Chelsea Flower Show is great, but IMO Shrewsbury and Hampton are as good, but not quite as manic. Thames Festival. no idea it is new, but a cruise down the Thames with a good guide (or guidebook) is fascinating. Go down to Greenwich on the DLR look around Greenwich, come back on a river cruiser. Exhausting but marvellous. I never tire of it.
Cheltenham - I prefer Hay.

Windsor Castle - I think Warwick is perhaps more interesting although obviously does not have the cachet. But there are a multitude of fascinating castles. Alnwick is a bit of a trek but quite stunning.
Winchester Cathedral yes if you like cathedrals (I do), Battle is not as interesting as you might expect, although a nice enough town. But it is close to Hastings, where I can recommend The Lifeboat fish and chip shop.
the Shambles - absolutely. There is/was a really good pork butcher near, although I cannot remember the address who does a superb pork pie.
No idea on difference in dining. Although I personally believe you can eat better ( and worse) in the UK than anywhere else in the world. And I live in France and Spain as well!

Try to get hold of a Blue Guide (Ian Ousby) Not published anymore but you will find on Abebooks.
Old Jul 12th 2014, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I always go to the penny falls at Hastings.

I am reminded of poster 'sile', who seemed to have built up a complicated picture of the UK in her mind beforehand. Best to just get over there and have some fun I think.
Old Jul 12th 2014, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

SR do you mean the ones in the red sandstone building near the net shacks?
Just behind is that cliff cable car thing, But there is a great walk at the top.

I agree with your last comment. There is a lot to see and do in the UK.

But then there is everywhere.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Just behind is that cliff cable car thing, But there is a great walk at the top.

There is a lot to see everywhere however, I'm only going to the UK.
After the UK........well I don't know at this point.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

I have just seen some pictures of the pier in Brighton.
It looks nice. I hear the surrounding area is good too.
Is it worth the trip?
Old Jul 28th 2014, 2:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry just saw this. Darn the lack of 'who quoted me?'

In the old town - I can never remember the exact name - but there's a good amusement arcade where it seems to be easier to win lots of goodies on the penny falls machines.

I am a cheap date

Cream tea afterwards.

Originally Posted by LoveFortheUK
I have just seen some pictures of the pier in Brighton.
It looks nice. I hear the surrounding area is good too.
Is it worth the trip?
Brighton is great. Pavilion, The Lanes for shopping, beach.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.