New To This Board

Old Jul 5th 2014, 4:54 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New To This Board

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Seriously.

We pay about 40 USD per month for basic cable. That gets you the 3 main networks plus FOX (jeebus), a load of shopping channels, and a couple of Jesus channels. The only saving grace is PBS and I swear to you, we only light up the big box for it.
It's crap in Oz as well - even Foxtel (cable) has advertisements now, although not as many as the free to air channels. Our cable package costs $102 a month - apart from the odd movie we only watch 4 or 5 channels - UK TV, a crime and drama channel, BBC world news and a couple of sports channels.

I believe cable telly's cheaper in the UK.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 6:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Sorry, only the BBC is commercial free - and even it devotes nearly as much time to advertising its own programmes on TV or Radio or Internet as the other channels devote to paid advertisements.
And just about everyone complains how absolutely rubbish TV in the UK is nowadays.
An endless cycle of soap operas, reality shows, talent contests, property programmes, cookery and gardening. Repeated and repeated and repeated.
Do you not watch all the excellent dramas, documentaries etc? There is some seriously good tv in the UK, no need to pay Sky for it either (although £50 a month - blimey it must have increased in the past two years as we used to pay £28 a month which included line rental, unlimited broadband & unlimited calls!).

Don't bother with the soap operas, try things like Broadchurch, Sherlock, Luther, or any wildlife documentary, just amazing quality stuff. And if they're on the BBC (as the best stuff seems to be) then you can sit and watch for an hour with no commercials.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

LoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud of

Wow a lot of information about cable in the UK. I heard of sky but not freeview.

We do get BBC World News in the states and I do like the fact that there are no commercials during the program. BBC America however has so many ads, the only way a show can fit in the time slot is for that show to be edited. Very annoying.

Anyway, during my research today, I saw photos of the Canterbury Cathedral and the Canterbury River (I thought St. Patrick's in NY was amazing but the cathedral is just beautiful IMO) I also saw some pictures of Dartmoor National Park as well. All of these treasures only make me want to come to the UK even more. Hope I get there soon.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 9:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Freeview isn't like cable, there's no monthly subscription to pay for it.

Canterbury and Dartmoor are both gorgeous places, good choices.

Old Jul 5th 2014, 9:54 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LoveFortheUK

Anyway, during my research today, I saw photos of the Canterbury Cathedral and the Canterbury River (I thought St. Patrick's in NY was amazing but the cathedral is just beautiful IMO) I also saw some pictures of Dartmoor National Park as well. All of these treasures only make me want to come to the UK even more. Hope I get there soon.
North America has some beautiful cathedrals. Episcopal cathedrals in NYC, Minneapolis, Burlington, VT., and Chicago, for instance, and Anglican cathedrals in St. John's, Newfoundland, Ottawa and Montreal are all splendid and have interesting histories. But they are each about the size of a decent English parish church. (Well, except NYC which is big.) Visit the cathedrals in England. They are huge, ancient, and very impressive. Each one is completely different too. Probably the most impressive ensemble (cathedral, spire, all the associated buildings and the cathedral close) is Salisbury.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

LoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud of

Hi Robin1234
Please don't get me wrong. There ARE some great cathedrals in the US but nothing like what I saw in those pictures of Canterbury Cathedral.

This is why I want to visit the UK. I have traveled all over the US and the only country I have visited outside my home base is Canada. It's time to get out of my box and soak up some real culture.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LoveFortheUK
Wow a lot of information about cable in the UK. I heard of sky but not freeview.

We do get BBC World News in the states and I do like the fact that there are no commercials during the program. BBC America however has so many ads, the only way a show can fit in the time slot is for that show to be edited. Very annoying.

BBC America is not part of the BBC.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 11:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
BBC America is not part of the BBC.
BBCAmerica is mostly crap unless you like Gordon Ramsey or Top Gear
Old Jul 5th 2014, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
BBCAmerica is mostly crap unless you like Gordon Ramsey or Top Gear
and Graham Norton marathons

Slightly redeemed by Orphan Black.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 11:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

and Graham Norton marathons

Slightly redeemed by Orphan Black.

Yeah, occasionally they put something good on there, but then ruin it by repeating it a hundred times

I liked the UK Law and Order.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 11:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeah, occasionally they put something good on there, but then ruin it by repeating it a hundred times

I liked the UK Law and Order.
It's all a bit slapdash, things get shown in the wrong order or missed out.

But the occasional gems keep us coming back

Got to be better than stuff like Honey Boo Boo and Extreme Cougars.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 11:46 pm
Account Closed

It's all a bit slapdash, things get shown in the wrong order or missed out.

But the occasional gems keep us coming back

Got to be better than stuff like Honey Boo Boo and Extreme Cougars.

Combined, that might make for an interesting reality show
Old Jul 6th 2014, 1:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Combined, that might make for an interesting reality show
It'll probably get picked up now
Old Jul 6th 2014, 1:46 am
Account Closed

It'll probably get picked up now
Could be worse. How about Dog the Bounty Hunter family versus The Kadashians on The Biggest Loser
Old Jul 6th 2014, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Could be worse. How about Dog the Bounty Hunter family versus The Kadashians on The Biggest Loser
With the Ghost Adventures crew 'talking to spirits' while the Gold Rush lot try to tear up the garden and run it through a wash plant held together with old coathangers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.