Need some POSITIVE info

Old Apr 19th 2016, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need some POSITIVE info

Originally Posted by Editha
Downton Gabby has said she is self-employed. But, my OH is not pre-eminent in his field, yet is finding plenty of work at age 63. It depends on your skills and the job market.

Last edited by Downton Gabby; Apr 19th 2016 at 4:40 am.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Downton Gabby
Thanks for your post. I think some of the things you say, though you clearly didn't mean anything by them, are perfect examples of what truly bugs me regarding age! The idea that a 62-year-old person is considered a senior just seems ridiculous. It's like you've fallen off a cliff and landed in your 80's! I don't know how old you are, and maybe in the UK this age is "OLD", but it's not really the case here, or at least not as much. We celebrate being "Baby Boomers" and there is a movement really of knocking down those attitudes about any age.

I hope things aren't that different in this regard over there because that would really be unbearable.
Well I would like to think that in the UK, France etc, people mostly don't work because they don't want to or need to. I am 51 and hoping to retire in my late 50s and just enjoy life a bit, but maybe get a job a couple of days a week. I would hate to have to work full time until I'm 67, which will be the UK retirement age for me (if they don't put it up even more!) The retirement age for people in their 30s now is 68. I do agree that if people want to work full time, they should not be discriminated against. It's just not something I want to do.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and just to add, progress has definitely been made. A few years ago people were literally forced to retire at state pension age (was 60 for women!) whether they wanted to give up work or not. Literally kicked out the door on their birthday! And I had a manager who was kicked out of the Girl Guides because she was 60, but managed to become a Scout leader instead as they did not discriminate the same way. So things have definitely moved on and hopefully will do even more.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Downton Gabby
The idea that a 62-year-old person is considered a senior just seems ridiculous. It's like you've fallen off a cliff and landed in your 80's! I don't know how old you are, and maybe in the UK this age is "OLD", but it's not really the case here
In the UK we have the situation where state pension, for me at least, isn't until I'm 67yrs old and that's predicted to rise to 70yrs old quite soon. In my profession it's technology based, fast moving and requires a lot of unpaid overtime during evenings and weekends with high stress levels. Very few people work in it past 55yrs of age. That leaves a massive gap where my profession views anyone over 55 as 'too old' and it's rare to see anyone of that age in my job role but I can't claim a pension until I'm 67 or 70. I know quite a few highly qualified, incredibly experienced people in their 60s doing minimum wage jobs because they have to.

What is your current profession? That might help people give you feedback on likely work opportunities.

Weather is very different in different areas. I've lived in the far south and the far north of the UK. It's like different countries. Where we lived on the south coast we had a flutter of snow, that didn't really lie, around once every three years. It was a lovely novelty. Where I live now we regularly have five or six snowfalls every single winter that vary from 3" to over a foot and can stay for weeks due to freezing temperatures even during daytime. It's not uncommon to have a month or more in winter of 0-23F whereas we previously rarely experienced even 30F on the south coast.

Where we are now rental homes that allow dogs form around 15% of the total homes available to rent if you didn't have a dog. You can find a place but it will probably be in a rougher area and/or a bit more run down. I know a couple with both dogs and cats who have a big rental house in a nice area but they've had to completely redecorate and do some refurbishment of kitchen and bathroom at their own expense. They have a long term lease and a lovely long term home.

My grandmother passed her driving test in an automatic van in her late 60s and drove until she was into her early 80s. I don't think you'll have a problem transferring at all with a few lessons and some time to acclimate.

Could you come over for a visit and do a bit of a tour round?
Old Apr 19th 2016, 10:17 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Hazelnut, DG has a dog that she doesn't wish to board or otherwise leave in another persons care. Hence she has not traveled to the UK to check things out.

As to everyone in the thread, I feel they have offered lots of positive info. Which is what DG asked for.

The problem (for lack of a better word) with all of the positive info is that it is just half the equation. To put it more simply, there are also negatives to life in the UK. Just as there are negatives to life anywhere in the globe.

It is easiest to move situations if a person is an adventurer. If they have a gypsy heart, so to speak. People with that sort of spirit can move from place to place, love it and then if it becomes too much, simply move on to the next place. They likely don't regret where they have been. They just haven't found the 'perfect' spot yet.

On the other end of the spectrum are people who have a life they like and never want to go anywhere. Or at least they think they like their life. More likely they are just too settled and too comfortable to try anything new. Or too frightened. My Mother says she never wants to set foot on an airplane, and certainly wouldn't do so to go to another country. She's literally afraid something might happen to her abroad and she'd never get back. Boogeyman and all that.

Most of us are somewhere in the middle of the two points. It's a pretty broad middle, though. Take a chance - roll the dice? Try something new? Oh why not. Life is short. But then oh why should I. I'm warm and dry and safe where I am. Even if it's not ideal.

I think when most people move countries, it's not just because they think they might want to. There is some sort of pull factor. Family is there. Or a better job. Maybe it is where your spouse is from. Maybe one is headed towards their retirement years, and the new spot is more to your liking than the spot where you've made your living. There is usually a reason for taking the leap of faith.

Whatever the reason, you have to put on that bit of you that has the gypsy heart, buckle up, close your eyes and get on with it. Because it's not going to be the easiest thing you've ever done. Even if you've been to that place and sussed some of the facts out. Even if you lived in that place before, it's likely changed since you left. Even if you've visited, including extended visits, that's still not the same as putting down permanent roots.

And you have to know that the life you are going to is not going to be the same as the one you are leaving. Expect change. Embrace it.

If one cannot embrace the change, well there is nothing wrong with that. There is nothing wrong with coming to the conclusion that the grass isn't greener on the other side. I think that is what Dorothy did when she clicked her heels three times, closed her eyes, and uttered "there is no place like home". As long as one can do that, and not look back with regret for the chance never taken, then that is about as healthy as one can get.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 10:21 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by rebeccajo

I think that is what Dorothy did when she clicked her heels three times, closed her eyes, and uttered "there is no place like home". As long as one can do that, and not look back with regret for the chance never taken, then that is about as healthy as one can get.
Cue Dorothy.

Dorothy . Where are you
Old Apr 19th 2016, 10:24 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Cue Dorothy.

Dorothy . Where are you
I just love that movie.

That movie. And the book "Alice in Wonderland". Down the rabbit hole!

Life is so short. So very, very short. The best lessons - are in the simplest messages.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 10:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hazelnut, DG has a dog that she doesn't wish to board or otherwise leave in another persons care. Hence she has not traveled to the UK to check things out.

As to everyone in the thread, I feel they have offered lots of positive info. Which is what DG asked for.

The problem (for lack of a better word) with all of the positive info is that it is just half the equation. To put it more simply, there are also negatives to life in the UK. Just as there are negatives to life anywhere in the globe. .....
I believe the OP's point is that previous threads she started (go look for them) focussed mostly on the negatives, and she was looking to avoid more pessimistic posts.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 10:28 pm
WhiteRabbit

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I believe the OP's point is that previous threads she started (go look for them) focussed mostly on the negatives, and she was looking to avoid more pessimistic posts.
I understand. To that I would say one can always go back through those members previous posts, and learn more about them. Their original motivations for moving; their mindset at the time, etcetera. All of this will affect the outcome of their own journey. We are all just mortal, after all.

*edited for clarity* My apologies if I misunderstood Pulaski's meaning. At first I thought he meant she was reading the threads of others. Not threads she herself had started. Sorry. Speed reading.

Last edited by rebeccajo; Apr 19th 2016 at 10:45 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 11:07 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

My mum (British), was widowed in her mid 50s. She wanted to get her driving license, and took numerous lessons. She passed the test on the 5th attempt!
Old Apr 20th 2016, 12:11 am
WhiteRabbit

Originally Posted by Mallory
My mum (British), was widowed in her mid 50s. She wanted to get her driving license, and took numerous lessons. She passed the test on the 5th attempt!
My husband tells me he took his three times and never passed. He lived in a city with excellent transport and decided it wasn't worth any more effort.

He managed to get a license over here in the US, but he never drives. He has ceratakonus (spelling?) and his peripheral vision is practically non existent. Everyone on both continents is far safer with him off the road - bless him!

A female friend of ours over there didn't get her license till well into her thirties. She took many, many lessons till she passed. She'd still rather be a passenger.

I think most Americans can't appreciate how much more rigorous the testing is in the UK. There are some good videos on youtube that show the correct way to make many of the maneuvers necessary to pass. I do believe it's all very do-able. But it's just a different system.

I'm 58 years old and have driven in the US since I was 17. I can tell you, with certainty, that should we ever make it to the UK, I have no plans to drive over there. I've heard USC's talk about the sensation of feeling like they are about to be in a collision, just because of the whole right hand drive business. When I'm a front seat passenger over there, I don't experience that. Not sure if I would as a driver, but I doubt it. It's just the whole business of learning a bunch of new rules, and having some prat fail me because I can't do a three corner reverse perfectly. The public transport where we would be living is just too good for me to be bothered.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 12:48 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... I think most Americans can't appreciate how much more rigorous the testing is in the UK. There are some good videos on youtube that show the correct way to make many of the maneuvers necessary to pass. I do believe it's all very do-able. But it's just a different system. ....
A system where the road fatalities per capita are about one quarter of what they are in the US, and drunk driving is extremely rare.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

Downton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond reputeDownton Gabby has a reputation beyond repute

The problem (for lack of a better word) with all of the positive info is that it is just half the equation. To put it more simply, there are also negatives to life in the UK. Just as there are negatives to life anywhere in the globe.

It is easiest to move situations if a person is an adventurer. If they have a gypsy heart, so to speak. People with that sort of spirit can move from place to place, love it and then if it becomes too much, simply move on to the next place. They likely don't regret where they have been. They just haven't found the 'perfect' spot yet.

On the other end of the spectrum are people who have a life they like and never want to go anywhere. Or at least they think they like their life. More likely they are just too settled and too comfortable to try anything new. Or too frightened. My Mother says she never wants to set foot on an airplane, and certainly wouldn't do so to go to another country. She's literally afraid something might happen to her abroad and she'd never get back. Boogeyman and all that.

Most of us are somewhere in the middle of the two points. It's a pretty broad middle, though. Take a chance - roll the dice? Try something new? Oh why not. Life is short. But then oh why should I. I'm warm and dry and safe where I am. Even if it's not ideal.

I think when most people move countries, it's not just because they think they might want to. There is some sort of pull factor. Family is there. Or a better job. Maybe it is where your spouse is from. Maybe one is headed towards their retirement years, and the new spot is more to your liking than the spot where you've made your living. There is usually a reason for taking the leap of faith.

Whatever the reason, you have to put on that bit of you that has the gypsy heart, buckle up, close your eyes and get on with it. Because it's not going to be the easiest thing you've ever done. Even if you've been to that place and sussed some of the facts out. Even if you lived in that place before, it's likely changed since you left. Even if you've visited, including extended visits, that's still not the same as putting down permanent roots.

And you have to know that the life you are going to is not going to be the same as the one you are leaving. Expect change. Embrace it.

If one cannot embrace the change, well there is nothing wrong with that. There is nothing wrong with coming to the conclusion that the grass isn't greener on the other side. I think that is what Dorothy did when she clicked her heels three times, closed her eyes, and uttered "there is no place like home". As long as one can do that, and not look back with regret for the chance never taken, then that is about as healthy as one can get.
How very beautifully written! Really, really lovely...thanks for this, rebeccajo.
Old Apr 20th 2016, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
Oh and just to add, progress has definitely been made. A few years ago people were literally forced to retire at state pension age (was 60 for women!) whether they wanted to give up work or not. Literally kicked out the door on their birthday! And I had a manager who was kicked out of the Girl Guides because she was 60, but managed to become a Scout leader instead as they did not discriminate the same way. So things have definitely moved on and hopefully will do even more.
That's terrible and almost archaic!
Old Apr 20th 2016, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mallory
Five times?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.