Need help moving back

Old Sep 15th 2016, 2:20 am
Just Joined

Kcaldwel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need help moving back

Hello. I am looking for help in moving my elderly parents back to the UK from South Africa. I am in the US and have no idea how it all works. Transferring pensions, Healthcare etc. Not sure if this is the right forum but any guidance at all would be appreciated.
Kim
Old Sep 15th 2016, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need help moving back

What is their nationality ? If UK passport-holders things will be easier. If they have right of abode then they have right to NHS treatment.

What is the pension question ? What do they gte now ? A South African company pension ?

What do they hope to do for housing ?

Last edited by scot47; Sep 15th 2016 at 6:34 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

Kcaldwel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scot47
What is their nationality ? If UK passport-holders things will be easier. If thety have right of abode then they have right to NHS treatment.
They are UK nationals. Also collecting pension. How do I find out about NHS treatment. Any help with housing?
Old Sep 15th 2016, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

What pension ? South African ? Housing might be available - depends where they go in the UK. In London - no chance - where I live they can choose any of a dozen flats available

For NHS they simply register and will be entitled to treatment. God bless Nye Bevan !

Last edited by scot47; Sep 15th 2016 at 6:54 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 6:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kcaldwel
They are UK nationals. Also collecting pension. How do I find out about NHS treatment. Any help with housing?
Do you mean "UK citizens"? - "UK Nationals" is different.

If they have the right to live in the UK, as "citizens", or otherwise with "right of abode", they are deemed resident at the moment they arrive and have the right to register for NHS services. ..... In practice they will need an address so they can register.

They will have no immediate right to help with housing, because no returning UK citizen has any right to government assistance or benefits until they have been back in the UK for at least three months.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think Pulaski is wrong on the Housing issue.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 8:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kcaldwel
Hello. I am looking for help in moving my elderly parents back to the UK from South Africa. I am in the US and have no idea how it all works. Transferring pensions, Healthcare etc. Not sure if this is the right forum but any guidance at all would be appreciated.
Kim
Welcome to BE.

As the Welcome Inn is for introductions only...I have moved your thread over to our UK forum. You should get more responses in this forum.

Good luck.
Old Sep 15th 2016, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I think Pulaski is wrong on the Housing issue.
I don't believe so....... if the poster is asking about social housing or even housing benefits for his parents then the parents would need to be assessed prior to housing or any other benefits are provided.

Taking into account the current state of waiting lists in the UK then a three month time lag before being assessed is not unreasonable.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 6:50 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming that they are British citizens, so have a right to live in the UK, the first step is to make sure their British passports are up to date.

Next, ensure they have accommodation in the UK. You don't give detail about their financial circumstances. Will they be purchasers, renters, or need social housing?

Next arrange shipping of their goods, and pets if any. Plus air-tickets for them.

Do they already have a UK bank account? It may be difficult to open one from SA, and have to wait until they are in the UK.

Transfer of savings from a SA bank account to a UK one is relatively straightforward. They may need to retain a SA account, to accumulate SA income (pensions etc.) and make periodic transfers to the UK account. This is usually the cheaper option to having pension payments transferred.

If they have UK income, then getting payments transferred to a UK bank account is also straightforward.

They are entitled to NHS care from the moment they arrive in the UK as residents rather than tourists. They just register with a GP practice.

Once in the UK, they can apply for their free bus passes (on the basis that they are over retirement age) and library tickets.

If they require other assistance from the state, then there may be a waiting period. But you haven't indicated that they are in financial difficulties.

I compiled a wikilinks list for returning over-fifties., which you may find useful. I particularly recommend the Age UK site which will answer many of your questions about life for the over 60s in the UK.

Last edited by Editha; Sep 16th 2016 at 6:52 am.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

If they have south african pensions they need to take advice in SA on financial emigration or not- which depends on the circumstances. And also how much money can be taken out as there are restrictions. Look at https://www.cashkows.com/
Old Sep 16th 2016, 3:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

There are areas of the country where Registered Social Landlords (RSLs) have properties sitting empty ! Hard to believe ? Come and I will show you ours !

If they are going to claim benefits they may be hit by the rules on residency. Exchange control in South Africa may cause problems in transferring assets from that country to the UK

Last edited by scot47; Sep 16th 2016 at 4:01 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 4:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

There are areas of the country .....
"The" country? .... So you agree that it is one, indivisible country?
Old Sep 16th 2016, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Divisa est in tres partes. I am not conceding defeat to the Imperials and Hanoverians just yet.

Pulaski should busy himself with whatever is happening over there with the rest of the colonials who are still in rebellion against their rightful masters.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 4:57 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

The OP hasn't suggested that his parents are going to claim benefits, and since he has also asked whether it is possible to hire a relocation agent, I'm assuming the family is reasonably well heeled.
Old Sep 16th 2016, 4:58 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
"The" country? .... So you agree that it is one, indivisible country?
Undivided ,yes. Indivisible, no.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.