Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving to UK from US, where to live?

Moving to UK from US, where to live?

Old Aug 21st 2015, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

FloridaFisch75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to UK from US, where to live?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The school transition for your 16 year old is going to be difficult, because at 16 she is half way through what is effectively a four year program of exams every two years. It is probably not possible to do the second set (A'levels), without the foundation of the first set (GCSEs, aka O'levels). I am not sure how the system might process her, other than to start her at the beginning of the GCSE courses, effectively setting her back two years. Be prepared for your thirteen year old to be set back a year too, based on what she has studied.
Wow!!! I'm very much surprised 😗 OMG!!!🙀
Old Aug 21st 2015, 7:48 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see why a student should not do A levels without having done GCSEs first.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 7:56 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from anything else, it is not uncommon for students to do a subject at A level that they did not study for GCSE.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 7:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
I don't see why a student should not do A levels without having done GCSEs first.
US schools typically don't have the same degree of focussed study at 15 and 16 as chidren in the UK studying for O'levels. That would make studying many subjects, including but not confined to languages, history, and science, incredibly difficult, though I will agree not actually impossible.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 7:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from anything else, it is not uncommon for students to do a subject at A level that they did not study for GCSE.
Not languages or sciences. The number of subjects where that is possible (practical/sensible) is very few. I don't think my high school allowed it.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 8:22 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

My grammar school did. I had a friend who joined the school at 16, from Turkey, did A levels and went to Oxford.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 8:26 pm

My grammar school did. I had a friend who joined the school at 16, from Turkey, did A levels and went to Oxford.
Mine was (is) a grammar school too.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 9:34 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

I assumed it was. I didn't think you really went to a 'high school'. I presumed that was just an affectation.
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

UKHE4NOW is an unknown quantity at this point

Although not very common, it is possible to do the International Baccalaureate in the UK instead of A-levels. It arguably provides for a more focused and challenging programme of study, and it does have certain advantages in terms of admission if moving back to the US or onto continental Europe.
Old Aug 22nd 2015, 6:56 pm

I assumed it was. I didn't think you really went to a 'high school'. I presumed that was just an affectation.
The "twin" girls grammar school to the boys grammar school that I went to, was styled "..... High School for Girls". In fact the school I went to was just "..... School", named after its
founder.