Moving to UK from US

Old Nov 19th 2015, 1:38 am
Just Joined

Mellowyello is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to UK from US

We are coming in February and wanting to rent a home and put our girls into school right away so to not disturb their year. Can any tell me how to let a home if from US! What do we need to bring as proof of our income, do we need to show visas? I would like to know whatever details are needed?

Also for work visas is there a way to apply in UK while my husband is there for his interviews or does he need to come home back to US for that part? Just seems like a whole lot of back and forth, hope that part is on company dime 🙏😔
Old Nov 19th 2015, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to UK from US

If I read correctly, you are looking to find out how to rent a place in UK if coming from the US? If so , you'll need proof of income plus likely to have to put down a large deposit, that's assuming you can find a landlord who is willing to rent to you.
What area of the UK are you looking at?
Regarding your query on the Welcome forum. If a property is let furnished, then you may well find a washing machine/fridge included, but less likely a dishwasher. If let Unfurnished then it's probable the place will just be empty rooms! you will have to get to UK and do some research, although you'll be able to get an idea of costs etc by googling.
Re the visa for your husband - I have no idea of current legislation but I'm sure Brit in Paris will be along soon with the answer. I think he has to apply from the US but don't hold me to that!
Old Nov 19th 2015, 5:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you need a visa to be able to work in the UK then you need the visa before you move.

Getting a work visa in the UK is difficult as not all jobs qualify for a work visa and Tier 2 visas (work visas) entail time and effort by the employer.

Until such time as you are legally resident in the UK your children won't be eligible for school.
Old Nov 19th 2015, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mellowyello
We are coming in February and wanting to rent a home and put our girls into school right away so to not disturb their year. Can any tell me how to let a home if from US! What do we need to bring as proof of our income, do we need to show visas? I would like to know whatever details are needed?

Also for work visas is there a way to apply in UK while my husband is there for his interviews or does he need to come home back to US for that part? Just seems like a whole lot of back and forth, hope that part is on company dime ������������

First things first. From what you have said it seems your husband is a US citizen. Are you and your children British citizens or just US citizens who want UK visas based on being the dependants of your husband on a work visa?

As said, your US citizen husband will need to apply for his UK work visa from the US.
Visitors (which he will enter the UK as for his interview) are not allowed to apply for visas from within the UK AND the Tier 2 General work visas are limited. The UK only allocate these visas once a month when they hold a meeting to rank the applicants in order of points. i.e. the highest points are awarded visas first in that monthly allocation.

Last edited by formula; Nov 19th 2015 at 4:26 pm.