Moving from Spain to UK

Old Jun 10th 2015, 11:03 am
Just Joined

xnicolex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving from Spain to UK

Hello everyone, I'm Nicole, 19 years old and currently living in Spain. I'm from Argentina so I speak fluent Spanish and was raised in the United states so fluent in English as well. I've been living here for almost 3 years now and I can't seem to get a job, only in summer and frankly that doesn't work for me. I have a lot of English friends and they're always telling me how great it is in the UK so I thought I would give it a shot, but I would really love to listen to other people's opinion. What city is the best for people my age? And where is there more job opportunities? I have the Italian passport so I'm living legally here in Spain, but I'm not sure if that will help me in the UK. Anyway I'm open to opinions, suggestions and comments. Thanks for reading!

-Nicole
Old Jun 10th 2015, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Spain to UK

Originally Posted by xnicolex
Hello everyone, I'm Nicole, 19 years old and currently living in Spain. I'm from Argentina so I speak fluent Spanish and was raised in the United states so fluent in English as well. I've been living here for almost 3 years now and I can't seem to get a job, only in summer and frankly that doesn't work for me. I have a lot of English friends and they're always telling me how great it is in the UK so I thought I would give it a shot, but I would really love to listen to other people's opinion. What city is the best for people my age? And where is there more job opportunities? I have the Italian passport so I'm living legally here in Spain, but I'm not sure if that will help me in the UK. Anyway I'm open to opinions, suggestions and comments. Thanks for reading!

-Nicole
One big benefit is that you are fluent in English and Spanish, so there should be job opportunities for you. It depends on other skills, but in general you will have a lot more chances with Spanish to get into customer service, IT support etc. which might lead to better paid jobs. I'm in Ireland now, so can't really say where the best places would be for jobs in the UK, but I know there are plenty of jobs in Dublin for bilingual people. You might want to look here: Top Language Jobs; Multilingual jobs & Bilingual Jobs in London & UK
Old Jun 10th 2015, 11:25 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

-Nicole
If you have an Italian passport you are allowed to move to and live in the UK.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone, I'm Nicole, 19 years old and currently living in Spain. I'm from Argentina so I speak fluent Spanish and was raised in the United states so fluent in English as well. I've been living here for almost 3 years now and I can't seem to get a job, only in summer and frankly that doesn't work for me. I have a lot of English friends and they're always telling me how great it is in the UK so I thought I would give it a shot, but I would really love to listen to other people's opinion. What city is the best for people my age? And where is there more job opportunities? I have the Italian passport so I'm living legally here in Spain, but I'm not sure if that will help me in the UK. Anyway I'm open to opinions, suggestions and comments. Thanks for reading! -Nicole
One thing to be aware of is that living expenses are very much higher within daily travelling distance of London compared with further afield.
So bear that in mind, a young person could live in, say, the Cardiff area for perhaps a half of the money that they would need for a similar standard of living in London.

Nonetheless a young person is likely to want to live in or near a large city rather than a rural area, for the nightlife. Edinburgh and Liverpool are great socially, for example.

So I suggest first applying for jobs that require your languages skills all over Britain. But don't even consider an opportunity in the London area unless it pays a high wage.
Old Jun 10th 2015, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
One thing to be aware of is that living expenses are very much higher within daily travelling distance of London compared with further afield.
So bear that in mind, a young person could live in, say, the Cardiff area for perhaps a half of the money that they would need for a similar standard of living in London.

Nonetheless a young person is likely to want to live in or near a large city rather than a rural area, for the nightlife. Edinburgh and Liverpool are great socially, for example.

So I suggest first applying for jobs that require your languages skills all over Britain. But don't even consider an opportunity in the London area unless it pays a high wage.
You can still live cheap enough in London if you do a house share etc. It really depends what you want, but salaries in Cardiff are very low and living won't be much cheaper. I've just seen a job in Cardiff which is shocking, Multilingual Administrators Day Team - Cardiff Bay : Another job on . Jobs in Wales Network - Jobs Wales & Welsh Jobs from JobsinWales.com I would just consider everything and do the maths after that.