Moving with pets, or not

Old Mar 21st 2015, 12:25 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving with pets, or not

Originally Posted by Cilllah
Will keep an eye on this thread. I have to move a big dog (Around 50kg. Just over but he's lean and only one so he will weigh more in two years) and two cats from Australia to the UK. It's going to be so expensive and whenever I find ways people have made it cheaper I can't do it because of Australian law. Checked baggage or in the cabin.
So looks like I'll be forking out close to $10,000. Way more expensive than our own flights!
Same here, Cillah. Our 9 year old golden retriever is coming to the UK with us, he's 47 kilos. So worried about how he'll cope with the flights - he's very placid and accepting but has one major hang-up - travelling in cars. He shakes, froths at the mouth and generally just panics. God knows what he'd be like on 12 and 8 hour flights
Old Mar 21st 2015, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

My story: I moved to England from South Africa and left my dog (me in tears and very upset) with my family. I had no idea what I was getting myself into, nor where I would stay. Everything fell into place so well and I bought a house which had a dog flap put into the french doors into garden. A sign for me to bring over my dog. It was arranged with a pet courier company within a week and she went into quarantine (this was 1999). I visited her twice weekly in kennels for 6 months and she adapted well in there. She was also looked after nicely. When she came out I was the happiest person alive because she was my "baby" and I now could go walking with her and even took her around with me on business in car staying over frequently in B&B's and in heat of summer she stayed at home due to dog flap. She adapted very well and I think had no idea she was even on another continent. Then when I met hubby and we thought of moving to Canada, it was always on the cards she was also coming. We rented a place that would take her while we searched for our home to buy and due to her did a lot of walking trails. I contacted the same pet carrier (near Heathrow) and she was collected a day before our furniture was packed up. Seeing that little face in crate departing was the hardest part! She remained in kennels for 2 weeks while we sorted ourselves out and flew Air Canada (first class I say) while we went on the cheapest airline we could find. This was in March 2002 and we had no problems as she even had to change in Vancouver and take a small plane to us on the Island. They even got her here on an earlier plane as she had no issues. Her crate was dry and when I picked her up I think she spent about 5 min on the grass with a very relieved look on her face. She never soiled her crate nor was she medicated or anything. She was a small Staffordshire Bull Terrier and they are meant to have breathing issues. She left CT when 4 years old and lived to a ripe old age of 15! She made my moving around so much easier and I would highly recommend to anyone with pets to bring them as they are your family!
Old Mar 21st 2015, 3:26 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
My story: I moved to England from South Africa and left my dog (me in tears and very upset) with my family. I had no idea what I was getting myself into, nor where I would stay. Everything fell into place so well and I bought a house which had a dog flap put into the french doors into garden. A sign for me to bring over my dog. It was arranged with a pet courier company within a week and she went into quarantine (this was 1999). I visited her twice weekly in kennels for 6 months and she adapted well in there. She was also looked after nicely. When she came out I was the happiest person alive because she was my "baby" and I now could go walking with her and even took her around with me on business in car staying over frequently in B&B's and in heat of summer she stayed at home due to dog flap. She adapted very well and I think had no idea she was even on another continent. Then when I met hubby and we thought of moving to Canada, it was always on the cards she was also coming. We rented a place that would take her while we searched for our home to buy and due to her did a lot of walking trails. I contacted the same pet carrier (near Heathrow) and she was collected a day before our furniture was packed up. Seeing that little face in crate departing was the hardest part! She remained in kennels for 2 weeks while we sorted ourselves out and flew Air Canada (first class I say) while we went on the cheapest airline we could find. This was in March 2002 and we had no problems as she even had to change in Vancouver and take a small plane to us on the Island. They even got her here on an earlier plane as she had no issues. Her crate was dry and when I picked her up I think she spent about 5 min on the grass with a very relieved look on her face. She never soiled her crate nor was she medicated or anything. She was a small Staffordshire Bull Terrier and they are meant to have breathing issues. She left CT when 4 years old and lived to a ripe old age of 15! She made my moving around so much easier and I would highly recommend to anyone with pets to bring them as they are your family!
what a lovely post