Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving home to the UK after 26 years

Moving home to the UK after 26 years

Old Dec 11th 2014, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving home to the UK after 26 years

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Very exciting and nerve wracking those last few weeks of countdown. it goes as smooth as ours did.
Thank you. Yes very nerve wracking. Especially because my wife is trying to transition most of her US-based clients to other colleagues, and she's picking up her new UK-based clients from the UK team at the same time. So as you can imagine she's working 12- plus hour days every day while I get the other stuff sorted. So I have to tread lightly as her emotions are like a light switch.

I have to remember that after being here for so long and dealing with the hassles of keeping in touch with my UK family (time differences/connection costs/etc.) suddenly that's all going away for ME and will start for my US-born wife instead. There's no perfect solution. Thankfully for her there's now Face time and Skype which are fabulous tools for 'seeing' family on a regular basis. Obviously there's no replacement for a hug as we all know, but it certainly helps!

We have just had some amazing news regarding housing in Cornwall for us but I won't know everything for 24 hours or so, so watch this space. It's amazing seeing everything fit into place. Truly, if you keep asking for something to happen you can really will it to happen. Cheers, M
Old Dec 11th 2014, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrMuffin
Thank you. Yes very nerve wracking. Especially because my wife is trying to transition most of her US-based clients to other colleagues, and she's picking up her new UK-based clients from the UK team at the same time. So as you can imagine she's working 12- plus hour days every day while I get the other stuff sorted. So I have to tread lightly as her emotions are like a light switch.

I have to remember that after being here for so long and dealing with the hassles of keeping in touch with my UK family (time differences/connection costs/etc.) suddenly that's all going away for ME and will start for my US-born wife instead. There's no perfect solution. Thankfully for her there's now Face time and Skype which are fabulous tools for 'seeing' family on a regular basis. Obviously there's no replacement for a hug as we all know, but it certainly helps!

We have just had some amazing news regarding housing in Cornwall for us but I won't know everything for 24 hours or so, so watch this space. It's amazing seeing everything fit into place. Truly, if you keep asking for something to happen you can really will it to happen. Cheers, M
Fingers crossed for you, Mr M!
Old Dec 17th 2014, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

As I hoped, we have been lucky enough to secure a rental house that we've actually spent some time in previously. It was a lot of luck and a bit of serendipity all coming together. We are pinching ourselves actually. It's a great house and we might even have the option to buy it within the year if everything comes together on the job front for me.

On top of that the container is booked! We're going with UPakWeShip. We did get other quotes but at the end of the day the UPakWeShip option will be great and the pricing is good. We're paying a bit extra to have the contained dropped off for 48 hours so we're not under the gun to load. Also we're having a local moving company load it for us. They do international shipping themselves so they're going to pack and protect the wooden furniture as best as possible and get everything else packed and secured into the container for us. Then at the other end we'll press-gang a group of friends to help us unload which will likely cost us fish and chips and beers which will be fun in itself.

My wife's firm kicked in some cash for moving expenses which is wonderful so all in all it's all coming together. Just 24 days until we fly!!
Old Dec 17th 2014, 3:51 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Moving home to the UK after 26 years

As I hoped, we have been lucky enough to secure a rental house that we've actually spent some time in previously. It was a lot of luck and a bit of serendipity all coming together. We are pinching ourselves actually. It's a great house and we might even have the option to buy it within the year if everything comes together on the job front for me.

On top of that the container is booked! We're going with UPakWeShip. We did get other quotes but at the end of the day the UPakWeShip option will be great and the pricing is good. We're paying a bit extra to have the contained dropped off for 48 hours so we're not under the gun to load. Also we're having a local moving company load it for us. They do international shipping themselves so they're going to pack and protect the wooden furniture as best as possible and get everything else packed and secured into the container for us. Then at the other end we'll press-gang a group of friends to help us unload which will likely cost us fish and chips and beers which will be fun in itself.

My wife's firm kicked in some cash for moving expenses which is wonderful so all in all it's all coming together. Just 24 days until we fly!!
Very happy to hear that it's all going so well! Enjoy your last Christmas as an expat
Old Dec 17th 2014, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant news! Thanks for the update. Hope you get to catch your breath over Christmas.
Old Jan 5th 2015, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

We'll be home in Cornwall this time next week! Sleeping there actually, by now. We're all excited. The kids have been amazing. My little guy Brennan has been off his game... it's all the changes recently... but hopefully in a few months he'll settle down. It's tough enough being four years old (tomorrow) without moving continents at the same time!

Everything has fit into place well. The second car is hanging on but I have a couple of people that I have as fallbacks in case it doesn't sell. Also a friend has offered to sell it and send me the money so I might do that and take the urgency out of the equation.

Tomorrow night will be our last in the rental house before we're in a suite hotel for the rest of the week while we get rid of the last furniture and do the container shuffle. The container arrives Wednesday. It's being packed (professionally) Thursday. And then it leaves Friday. And then we fly out Saturday, arriving LHR early Sunday.

I'm looking forward to Sunday roast at Mum's house Sunday afternoon. And I know I'll sleep like a baby that night waking to the sound of the seagulls. Happy New Year all. All the best to you and yours and especially those making their own plans to move home. Cheers, M
Old Jan 5th 2015, 12:40 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Well done you. I'm so glad it's coming together so well for you.

I've heard of UPak We Ship before and thought it was a good idea. It hadn't dawned on me to pay a professional removal firm to do the legwork/donkeywork of actually packing.

That's something to think about. Especially as I heard my husband say, 'exit strategy' for the first time yesterday. Yay !
Old Jan 5th 2015, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic! You have worked so hard to get to this point so glad it is all coming together for you. Good luck and I am looking forward to hearing how it all goes so please keep posting!
Old Jan 5th 2015, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Well done you. I'm so glad it's coming together so well for you.

I've heard of UPak We Ship before and thought it was a good idea. It hadn't dawned on me to pay a professional removal firm to do the legwork/donkeywork of actually packing.

That's something to think about. Especially as I heard my husband say, 'exit strategy' for the first time yesterday. Yay !
The packing of the container will cost us approx. $700 with three guys doing it. They do international shipments themselves so know how to secure everything and load balance. So that's good. Good luck to you on your own 'exit strategy!'