Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving home to the UK after 26 years

Moving home to the UK after 26 years

Old Oct 8th 2014, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

hec12345 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving home to the UK after 26 years

Canny blame you moving back home, Britain , our wee Island , still is the epicentre of everything.

We all had to move economically 60/70`s

it`s now time to go home.
happy days my friend.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much everyone for the kind words and wishes.

I'm in the midst of packing... just taking my time and making a very large yard sale pile at the same time. <Touch wood> Today is the day when we'll know for sure that the buyers financing is 100% approved and we are on track to close on the 28th Oct. Then we'll move into the rental place around the corner until January when we'll fly home.

Coordinating everything has been a bit crazy because we have this move from house to house to deal with before we leave for the UK, but given the fact that our house sold fast I guess I can't complain. If we tried to sell last year we would have still been underwater on our mortgage. Thankfully the market here has turned around a bit... just enough for us to make this work anyway.

Thanks again to everyone!~
Old Oct 8th 2014, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrMuffin
Thanks so much everyone for the kind words and wishes.

I'm in the midst of packing... just taking my time and making a very large yard sale pile at the same time. <Touch wood> Today is the day when we'll know for sure that the buyers financing is 100% approved and we are on track to close on the 28th Oct. Then we'll move into the rental place around the corner until January when we'll fly home.

Coordinating everything has been a bit crazy because we have this move from house to house to deal with before we leave for the UK, but given the fact that our house sold fast I guess I can't complain. If we tried to sell last year we would have still been underwater on our mortgage. Thankfully the market here has turned around a bit... just enough for us to make this work anyway.

Thanks again to everyone!~
Much better to sell early - everything goes smoothly.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

Fulwood. I did go to the U.K. Didn't give it enough time that's for sure. Hindsight is 20/20. So many emotions I was not prepared for. Been back in the U.S now for 2 years.. many regrets. Will end up back in the U.K eventually.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Belatedly adding my congrats to everyone else's, Mr McM. Good luck with all the logistics and the move and everything...

Cornwall...SO lovely.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

The house sale went through without a hitch, thankfully. We moved last Monday into a rental house just around the corner. We were down to the wire in terms of getting everything packed ready for the moving company to be there 7.00 a.m. Monday.

The move went well. The only things left over to do were to clean, get the last bits moved from the basement and garage, and to do a couple of dump runs. My wife did the majority of the final clean, leaving the fridge and freezer for me to do early Tuesday. I sorted the garden out and emptied pots, did another dump run and got the basement and garage finished up. Then last thing was to get the fridge and basement freezer cleaned out.

I got finished at 10.55 a.m. ready for the final buyer's walk through at 11.15 a.m. I did my own final walk through remembering everything that had happened in the house during the last 10 years. I got emotional but walked out and went to the rental and crashed.

The walk through went fine and we went to the closing at 1.00 p.m. All well.

Moving into the rental was a bit nuts as the landlord was still fitting the kitchen in. So when the plumbing blew up that night, we decided to go to a hotel with the kids for a few nights as the lack of toilets added to no cooker, no laundry and no kitchen sink and with 2 kids that's just about impossible. We went and stayed in a suite hotel so the kids could have their own room. We got back into the house by Thursday night and the landlord had most things up and running for us. He's down there right now installing the microwave. Next up is the washer drier (yay)!

We're going to be here until 1st week in January and then we'll fly to London and then get a car down to Cornwall. Our container will leave a couple of days before us. Only about 8 weeks to go! Very excited. This house sale and move was a huge part of the puzzle now behind us!!

Good luck to anyone else making the move home!!
Old Nov 5th 2014, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

The house sale went through without a hitch, thankfully. We moved last Monday into a rental house just around the corner. We were down to the wire in terms of getting everything packed ready for the moving company to be there 7.00 a.m. Monday.

The move went well. The only things left over to do were to clean, get the last bits moved from the basement and garage, and to do a couple of dump runs. My wife did the majority of the final clean, leaving the fridge and freezer for me to do early Tuesday. I sorted the garden out and emptied pots, did another dump run and got the basement and garage finished up. Then last thing was to get the fridge and basement freezer cleaned out.

I got finished at 10.55 a.m. ready for the final buyer's walk through at 11.15 a.m. I did my own final walk through remembering everything that had happened in the house during the last 10 years. I got emotional but walked out and went to the rental and crashed.

The walk through went fine and we went to the closing at 1.00 p.m. All well.

Moving into the rental was a bit nuts as the landlord was still fitting the kitchen in. So when the plumbing blew up that night, we decided to go to a hotel with the kids for a few nights as the lack of toilets added to no cooker, no laundry and no kitchen sink and with 2 kids that's just about impossible. We went and stayed in a suite hotel so the kids could have their own room. We got back into the house by Thursday night and the landlord had most things up and running for us. He's down there right now installing the microwave. Next up is the washer drier (yay)!

We're going to be here until 1st week in January and then we'll fly to London and then get a car down to Cornwall. Our container will leave a couple of days before us. Only about 8 weeks to go! Very excited. This house sale and move was a huge part of the puzzle now behind us!!

Good luck to anyone else making the move home!!
Wow! Congratulations. What an ordeal moving can be, but sounds as if the worst is behind you now and you can just relax for a bit, enjoy Christmas in the rental, and then--off to Cornwall!

Thanks for the update.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Things are coming along nicely!
Old Nov 5th 2014, 9:45 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations from me too!

I hope you got a refund from the landlord for not having the accommodation ready.
Old Nov 5th 2014, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

That reinforces my belief that if you are following the right path in life everything just falls into place! Well done! Now you can relax until you return!
Old Nov 5th 2014, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

enjoy Cornwall it has a special place in my heart, you will have fun getting used to the lanes! and the A30 in the summer with the emits (tourists) we lived for 6 years in a small village Bathpool between Liskeard and Launceston good luck with your move
Old Nov 6th 2014, 10:10 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I did my own final walk through remembering everything that had happened in the house during the last 10 years. I got emotional but walked out and went to the rental and crashed.

Best of luck to you and your family, Mr Muffin.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on the house sale, that is great news! Not long to go now that is very exciting!
Old Nov 6th 2014, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Editha
Congratulations from me too!

I hope you got a refund from the landlord for not having the accommodation ready.
He's including all the utilities (electric, gas, water etc.) in the rent which will save us about $600 a month thanks to the cold winters here. So that was nice.
Old Nov 6th 2014, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.