Moving home

Old Jan 14th 2017, 10:45 am
Just Joined

keithm2576 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving home

We, that is my wife and I, are looking at moving back to the UK soon.
We have a lot of decisions to make before the move such as when, how long for, were to live etc. but once the decision is made as to when then we will have a lot of questions which I hope many of you in this forum will be able to assist with. Questions about NHS, National Insurance, driving licenses, etc etc. I already have a long list that is growing by the day! One area I will have to look at closely is health/medical as we are both not young and I am on expensive medication which our health system over here covers.
I have posted a few details about me in the Welcome forum, but briefly we were both born in the UK and grew up in Sussex, but have lived in Australia for the last 30+ years. My family is here, but my wife's is in the UK. We are moving back to look after my ageing father-in-law who is 93 this year.
Although scary, the move is very exciting and I can't wait to get back and familiarise myself with some of the wonderful pubs and ales (got to get your priorities right)!
Old Jan 14th 2017, 11:16 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving home

Originally Posted by keithm2576
We, that is my wife and I, are looking at moving back to the UK soon.
We have a lot of decisions to make before the move such as when, how long for, were to live etc. but once the decision is made as to when then we will have a lot of questions which I hope many of you in this forum will be able to assist with. Questions about NHS, National Insurance, driving licenses, etc etc. I already have a long list that is growing by the day! One area I will have to look at closely is health/medical as we are both not young and I am on expensive medication which our health system over here covers.
I have posted a few details about me in the Welcome forum, but briefly we were both born in the UK and grew up in Sussex, but have lived in Australia for the last 30+ years. My family is here, but my wife's is in the UK. We are moving back to look after my ageing father-in-law who is 93 this year.
Although scary, the move is very exciting and I can't wait to get back and familiarise myself with some of the wonderful pubs and ales (got to get your priorities right)!
Hi Keith, welcome to BE.

My husband and I moved to the UK a year ago, he's British and had lived in Australia for 25 years, I'm Australian and am here on a spouse visa.

I can't answer all your questions, but here's a few. British citizens who have returned to the UK permanently are eligible for full NHS services from day one (as are people on some visas, including the spouse visa). Over 60s who are eligible for full NHS get their medications free of charge under the NHS, those under 60 pay around $8 per prescription medicine unless they're in an exempt group (not sure what qualifies as exempt but you can easily do a Google search for that). I do know that there are exemptions for certain benefits and (I think!) for certain ongoing/chronic medical conditions.

I had 1 year to exchange my Oz driving license to a UK one. I think you actually get 5 years to exchange it, but you're only allowed to drive on your Oz one for 1 year.

My husband's NI number is the same one he had prior to moving to Oz. I could have applied for one, but I'm 58 and do not intend to work here, so no need.

Hope that helps for a start, best of luck.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 11:28 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I would add that if you passed your driving test in the UK then you can exchange your Australian licence for your original UK licence. You will need to give the DVLA a ring for them to find your driving licence number on their system before you apply if you don't have it.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 11:36 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I would add that if you passed your driving test in the UK then you can exchange your Australian licence for your original UK licence. You will need to give the DVLA a ring for them to find your driving licence number on their system before you apply if you don't have it.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 11:38 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE Keith

As a suggestion, before leaving OZ, have your pharmacy run a report list of the meds that you are both on as well as a doctors report (in medical terms) of each of your medical conditions, tests that you've had for all or any conditions.

If you could get CD copies of any xrays, that might also be a good idea, as well as maybe copies of your dental report

Run several copies of each, so that when you get to the UK you will have that ready for when you see a GP, go to the hospital, see a dentist, apply for any qualifying social benefits and if you drive 'the disabled parking badge' etc

Drivers licence as applicable for exchange or from your old UK one to renew it when back

Remember to contact your Australian pensions folks to let them know that you have/are moving outside OZ to your new overseas address

On arrival just contact 'the department of works & pensions' to say that you are back in the UK

Telephone: 0345 606 0265

S.O.S in post 2 gave you the basic run down & IMO once you get to the UK, have registered with a doctor, got your other items sorted out... then its enjoy all that is what you remember, taking in the pubs, foods, climate, countryside etc

Good luck with it all

Last edited by not2old; Jan 14th 2017 at 11:50 am. Reason: typo corrected
Old Jan 14th 2017, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

If the OP and his wife are not Australian citizens, then they should apply for it before their return to the UK. This will make any future visit to Australia a lot easier.

You may find it helpful to check how much UK state pension you and your wife is entitle to. You can ask for an UK pension forecast from the Department for Works and Pensions. Please have a look below -

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

Another thing is UK bank accounts. If the OP and his wife do not have any UK bank accounts, it may be a good idea to try and open an UK bank account in Australia before moving back to the UK. HSBC offers this kind of service, please see link below -

https://www.hsbc.com.au/1/2/personal...tional/move-os
Old Jan 14th 2017, 11:21 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE. You mention expensive medications. The NHS may pay for your medication, or it might not. Not all expensive drugs are paid for by the NHS. It depends on whether they have been authorised by NICE (the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence). If you have any concerns about whether you will be able to continue your present treatment on the NHS, I suggest you check with the relevant UK charity for your condition (e.g if it is diabetes -- Diabetes UK).
Old Jan 14th 2017, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

ow, thanks for the prompt replies! Lots of helpful information and even more questions for my list!

Both my wife and I are UK citizens with UK passports (although mine has expired). Wife has a UK bank account so that won't be an issue, though we will look at opening a HSBC account I think. We will probably have rent from a property over here to pay into it as well.

I never had a UK drivers license so will have to take a test of some sort I guess. Actually quite nervous of driving in the UK. Been driving in Aus for 30 years but even Sydney traffic has nothing on the UK if my wife's stories are to be believed. She has been back regularly and seen the growth in car ownership and the driving habits of the British!

I'll definitely get reports from my GP, chemist and rheumatologist well before leaving. Also about to go onto the MyHealth electronic medical records system here. Don't know if that will help at all when we move. I will also be contacting a couple of the UK arthritis groups to see if they can help with info about my medications.
Most of my recent X-rays, scans, etc are on CD. I don't think I'll carry the pile of 30 years of X-rays with me to the UK though! It weighs a ton!

Pensions will be the next confusing thing I think. A lot depends on how long we stay in the UK I guess. I know a friend had a huge fight with the Aus pensions people as he was living in Bangkok, so much cheaper to live than here, and they were going to stop his pension as he was out of Aus too long. I think he took it to court and won! Not sure I worked in the UK long enough to be entitled to much, although I guess it depends on how long I was paying NI. I was probably paying this from when I was working part-time as a student but probably less than 10 years.

I'm filing all these tips and links away so I am ahead of the game when it comes to the crunch!

Not2Old - I am looking forward to the pubs, food and countryside, not too sure about the climate! Also looking forward to the people, especially miss the sense of humour!
Old Jan 15th 2017, 12:43 am
Concierge

No test required, you just exchange your Australian license for a UK one.

If the medication you mention is for your RA, your rheumatologist here will be able to prescribe you methotrexate if that's the one you're on. If you're on one of the biologics I think there's a bit of a process to go through - yes, definitely speak to the RA groups over here.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Jan 15th 2017 at 12:47 am.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 2:34 am
Just Joined

Thank you.

I am on Humira, $1500 per month in Aus but covered by Medicare so I pay about $40. I am hoping I don't have to go through the same long complicated process to get it in the UK that I did here.

Didn't know that about DL, thought I would have to do a test having never held a UK license. But I guess 30+ years of driving counts for something! Not accident free I am sorry to say!
Old Jan 15th 2017, 10:24 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It's a simple exchange of your Australian licence for your GB licence as mentioned. You'll obviously need to renew your British passport before you go. It would be worth considering becoming Australian citizens to leave that door open as it will be increasing difficult to go back to Australia as Returning Residents as time passes.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the site Keith. It sounds like you have received some good info.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 11:49 pm
Concierge

Thank you.

I am on Humira, $1500 per month in Aus but covered by Medicare so I pay about $40. I am hoping I don't have to go through the same long complicated process to get it in the UK that I did here.

Didn't know that about DL, thought I would have to do a test having never held a UK license. But I guess 30+ years of driving counts for something! Not accident free I am sorry to say!
I guess your rheumatologist over here would have to be convinced that Humira was the best treatment option for you, given its expense. Hopefully your patient notes from your current rheumy will help with that. I was relieved when methotrexate proved effective in Oz, although the oral was no good and I had to move to self-injected.

There's a bit about Humira here, on the UK's NRAS, which says it's available as a treatment choice for RA. No mention of the criteria though, I'd get in touch with them NRAS - National Rheumatoid Arthritis Society