Moving from Canada to UK

Old May 24th 2017, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

Kessy1807 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving from Canada to UK

Hi all.

I'm a Canadian citizen of over fifteen years and it so happens that London is calling. I'm at a place in life where I'm to be making London my new home (or at least a permanent residence for the next ew years).

I don't have any ancestors from UK, I'm 33 years of age and the sponsorship (marital) is out of the question for now.

So now, I'm at a loss with where I should be starting. I know I don't need a visa as a visitor to London, but if I'm planning a prolonged stay - that will potentially lead to me applying for citizenship in UK I'm guessing I'll need a visa of some sort?

Please point me in the right direction of what needs to be done first? (Aside for saving the money )

Many thanks
Old May 24th 2017, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Canada to UK

If you don't have Ancestry, cannot apply as a spouse and are too old for the Tier 5 visa your options are:

- work visa (Tier 2) - your prospective employer must sponsor you

https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/overview

- some sort of investment visa
- student visa (Tier 4)

apart from those you are only eligible to visit the UK for up to 6 months.
Old May 24th 2017, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Kessy1807 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
If you don't have Ancestry, cannot apply as a spouse and are too old for the Tier 5 visa your options are:

- work visa (Tier 2) - your prospective employer must sponsor you

https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/overview

- some sort of investment visa
- student visa (Tier 4)

apart from those you are only eligible to visit the UK for up to 6 months.
Thank you for that, this is what I have been expecting.
When it comes to a prospective employer - how exactly would you get a job offer being in another country? Wouldn't that limit your ability to go to the interviews? Are there agencies that can help you look for employment in London while you live and work in Canada?
Old May 26th 2017, 11:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Finding a job in another country in order to get a visa is always the biggest hurdle - so the better qualified you are and the more your job is in demand is a huge benefit.

Below is a link to a site which contains a short list for Tier 2

UK Tier 2 Shortage Occupation List | Workpermit.com

This gives you an idea of the jobs in demand. Apart from finding a job the prospective company has to be able to sponsor you.

People seem to be having initial interviews over the Web, but yes, it takes effort to find jobs in other countries - but people do it.

Sorry, I can't help with agencies. Maybe you could research your particular field.
Old May 27th 2017, 3:32 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kessy1807
.... I'm a Canadian citizen of over fifteen years and it so happens that London is calling. I'm at a place in life where I'm to be making London my new home (or at least a permanent residence for the next few years). ....
Er, no, no you're not!

Nothing you have openly posted gives you any realistic hope for a work based visa. To be sponsored for a visa you need to have an occupation on the approved list, then find an employer registered to sponsor work visas (not all are), then find one with a suitable vacancy, apply and get selected.

You said you have no ancestry from the UK, but how about Ireland, or Italy, or even Hungary? Those are some of the European countries with relatively generous policies on giving passports to the descendant of emigrants. You can use a passport from a European country to live and work in the UK, for now at least.

You kind of hint that there may be a love interest - marital sponsorship "is out the question for now". If I read your inference correctly, you may need to come to terms with the reality that many of us here, including me, have faced and dealt with - that if you want to make your life together with someone who may be your life partner, you need to make the leap and get married. My wife is from the US, and I was living in London when we first "met" on line. We married 20 months later having spent a grand total six weeks together face-to-face, of which one was the week before we got married, and another two were at Christmas two months before we got married. We have now been married for 17 years.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 27th 2017 at 3:39 am.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 1:16 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benson55
<snip>
Um, no. Also site rule #2.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 21st 2018 at 6:13 am. Reason: Quote edited to remove the stupid suggestion.