Moving back USA -> Europe

Old Nov 27th 2017, 2:23 am
Just Joined

Adam9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back USA -> Europe

Moving out of the U.S. to Europe

I know this forum is mainly for Brits living in the UK and around the world and since I am originally from Slovakia I might not fit in here :-)

My objective

- move out of the U.S. and get settled down in Europe (UK or Slovakia)
- I view this as a permanent move for the foreseeable future but want to remain doors to America open in a case I change my mind

My background

I moved to the U.S. in my early 20s and some time ago I became American citizen. Now I am in my early 30s, single, all closest family lives in Slovakia. I worked as a software developer and currently I am without a job (by choice). It is good to know there is pretty big worldwide demain for IT people. I cannot explain but America has lost its appeal to me, no longer I am motivated to look for a new job here or move to a new city, meet new people and etc. I am having an identity issue, I don’t know where I belong.

Questions?

Is there anyone here who went on a similar life path?

How did you go about moving from America?
Step by step, I wonder if you sold out everything, cancelled bank accounts, notified all agencies, etc.
I am on the verge of keeping my car for a while. On the other hand I would like to make the move so while in Europe I don’t have to think about any stuff in America.

For those who moved already: In retrospect, are you happy? Do you miss America?
I don’t know where I belong. I guess in my case being US citizen I can always go back legally, but practically it may be difficult since I may forget English, lose social contacts and so on.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back USA -> Europe

Moving back to the UK - British Expats

I suggest this area of the forum would be of most use to you.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 12:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE. As your questions are about moving back to the UK, I have moved your thread over to our UK forum. We have quite a few members who have made the move back to the UK from the US...someone will probably be along soon to help you.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adam9
Moving out of the U.S. to Europe

I know this forum is mainly for Brits living in the UK and around the world and since I am originally from Slovakia I might not fit in here :-)

My objective

- move out of the U.S. and get settled down in Europe (UK or Slovakia)
- I view this as a permanent move for the foreseeable future but want to remain doors to America open in a case I change my mind

My background

I moved to the U.S. in my early 20s and some time ago I became American citizen. Now I am in my early 30s, single, all closest family lives in Slovakia. I worked as a software developer and currently I am without a job (by choice). It is good to know there is pretty big worldwide demain for IT people. I cannot explain but America has lost its appeal to me, no longer I am motivated to look for a new job here or move to a new city, meet new people and etc. I am having an identity issue, I don’t know where I belong.

Questions?

Is there anyone here who went on a similar life path?

How did you go about moving from America?
Step by step, I wonder if you sold out everything, cancelled bank accounts, notified all agencies, etc.
I am on the verge of keeping my car for a while. On the other hand I would like to make the move so while in Europe I don’t have to think about any stuff in America.

For those who moved already: In retrospect, are you happy? Do you miss America?
I don’t know where I belong. I guess in my case being US citizen I can always go back legally, but practically it may be difficult since I may forget English, lose social contacts and so on.
I fully understand your sentiment ! I would recommend keeping at least one bank account open ( non interest bearing), a credit card or two, and use UPS or Mail Box USA for mailing address- if you ever sought to move back this would be helpful.

I guess UK or Slovakia a matter of personal preference, but I would think with IT experience, your standard of living and quality of life might be higher in Slovakia than London.