Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK via the US/Canada & need insurance to cover the trip.

Moving back to UK via the US/Canada & need insurance to cover the trip.

Old Jul 28th 2014, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

MaximumFish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to UK via the US/Canada & need insurance to cover the trip.

Hi all,

After 3 years in Australia we're finally packing up and heading home to the UK, but we're returning via the US and Canada in order to visit friends and family and to allow our stuff a bit of a head start. It should be a great trip, but we've been having a hell of a time arranging travel insurance to cover those stop-overs.

It seems like every insurer is insisting that we start and end the trip from the same country, which we're obviously not doing, and then there's the thorny issue of residency. If we're leaving Australia for good at the start of our trip home to the UK, does that make us Australian or UK residents? I'd assume the latter but it wouldn't surprise me if I'm wrong. Additionally, many Aussie insurers only cover permanent residents or citizens, of which we're neither.

There must be at least one insurer that'll cover this kind of one-way trip, right? We'd prefer to insure through a UK company for ease of making a claim once we're back (same time zone and all that) but if we have to go Aussie then so be it. We just want to be covered!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Max
Old Jul 28th 2014, 5:03 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK via the US/Canada & need insurance to cover the trip.

This question has come up before and I think there is a company which will provide cover. Try doing a search of the forum.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 5:36 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK via the US/Canada & need insurance to cover the trip.

Try Nomads. I called the UK office and got health insurance for returning to the UK, from Canada, via the US.
Old Jul 28th 2014, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

MaximumFish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Editha
This question has come up before and I think there is a company which will provide cover. Try doing a search of the forum.
Thanks, but I did do an extensive Google search before posting. I'd have assumed that any threads on here would've shown up on Google, but I'll try again.

Originally Posted by lf1
Try Nomads. I called the UK office and got health insurance for returning to the UK, from Canada, via the US.
Thanks, I'll check them out!
Old Jul 28th 2014, 10:29 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/movin...urance-829960/