Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK from USA - iPhone question

Moving back to UK from USA - iPhone question

Old Jul 23rd 2013, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

Caruthers will become famous soon enoughCaruthers will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Moving back to UK from USA - iPhone question

Originally Posted by sigmapaul
I am moving back to the U.K in around six weeks after a 33 year absence. I'm going to be looking for a job once I get back unless I can get one through U.K. based job sites and recruiters before I leave. Anyway, I plan to use a smart phone as my main contact point for e-mail and voice with potential employers. I'm a little concerned about my ability to get a mobile contract given my lack of credit in the U.K. I will have a U.K based bank account, debit and credit card set up by the time I arrive, not sure if this will make a difference with the mobile companies. I'm with Verizon (contract now expired) and have an iPhone 4. After reading this thread, I checked it out and can't find a slot anywhere to insert a SIM card. Am I missing something here? If my iPhone won't work over there, any suggestions. I had planned on getting a Samsung Note II instead of an iPhone because of the bigger screen. Should I get a pay as you go, do these plans include data? Thanks very much in advance.
I have a feeling that only the AT&T Iphones work on GSM which is the European standard as opposed to CDMA which is the majority of USA phones.
So this fact alone may make a new phone a necessity in the UK.

To access the micro SIM you need a pin/wire and press gently in the hole on the right side of the phone, in the middle. This releases the SIM carrying tray.

If I am wrong on Verizon and it being CDMA, you can just buy a SIM easily in the UK. Lots of pay as you go deals in the UK. Check out Vodaphone on line for example.

Last edited by Caruthers; Jul 23rd 2013 at 3:29 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
My biggest gripe with the 4S camera is the "bleeding" of light into darker areas, such as what you see in the top right hand corner of the second picture. It looks like the 5 has improved a lot on this.
I called AT&T on Friday to upgrade to an iPhone 5 and was told to wait because they are expecting the iPhone 6 soon. When I asked how soon she said Apple didn't give release date but just said soon (later this year). We know that iOS 7 comes out in a few months and so does Maverick so it does make sense. I went to google expected date of new release and (take this as Internet rumor) Apple is expected to release a cheaper version of iPhone and well as iPhone 6.

So since I was advised by AT&T to wait I guess 2-3 months or so can't hurt.
If you want to see what iOS 7 or Maverick will look like just go to apple.com; there is even a video explaining what they've done
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

sigmapaul is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Moving back to UK from USA - iPhone question

Hi Caruthers, I think you are right as there's no pin hole on my phone. I'm going to check with Verizon later today as I understand they own part of Vodaphone and so might be able to offer me some kind of arrangement with the credit issue. If not I'll check out the pay as you go plans. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sigmapaul
Hi Caruthers, I think you are right as there's no pin hole on my phone. I'm going to check with Verizon later today as I understand they own part of Vodaphone and so might be able to offer me some kind of arrangement with the credit issue. If not I'll check out the pay as you go plans. Thanks for the suggestion.
The iPhone 4s is the first Verizon iPhone that has a SIM card slot. The 4s and subsequent Verizon iPhones work fine with a non-US SIM card.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Jul 23rd 2013 at 5:36 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Caruthers will become famous soon enoughCaruthers will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
The iPhone 4s is the first Verizon iPhone that has a SIM card slot. The 4s and subsequent Verizon iPhones work fine with a non-US SIM card.
Interesting I thought (seems wrongly) that AT&T was the only digital network in the country i.e. non CDMA technology.
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caruthers
Interesting I thought (seems wrongly) that AT&T was the only digital network in the country i.e. non CDMA technology.
Verizon uses CDMA. However, Verizon iPhones from the 4s onwards also contain a micro-SIM slot to allow you to use a non-US SIM card on GSM networks. What Verizon prevents you from doing is putting a US SIM card in your Verizon iPhone. You can, however, roam in the US using a non-US SIM card. But there's no economic reason to do so given you'd be incurring roaming charges.
Old Jul 25th 2013, 10:33 am
Just Joined

NikEnglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Have been toying with the idea for a while on whether or not I should pack up and move back to Bushey, so I have an iPhone 5 through t-mobile which is fully paid and and no contract, would it work back home? It's an A1428 model.