Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK with teenager ( college question )

Moving back to UK with teenager ( college question )

Old Feb 14th 2017, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

ohwottodo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to UK with teenager ( college question )

Hi
We have been in the US for 11 years and have a teen son (15) with the possibility of moving back to the UK when he has finished High School.
Will his US grades transfer over into a UK college or will he have to do GCSE's or whatever it is over there now?
I really didn't want him going to college to do another year of high school..

I know he would be registered as an International Student as he has been out of the country for 3 years.

Also how easy / hard is it to get a mortgage, how long would it before the banks will say yes? ( We have always had an account with hsbc if that helps at all )
Old Feb 14th 2017, 3:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK with teenager ( college question )

Your son may be expected to do a foundation year before starting on the degree classes, but that seems to depend on the university and subject. I would imagine that science or engineering is more likely to require the foundation year than arts subjects.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ohwottodo
Hi
We have been in the US for 11 years and have a teen son (15) with the possibility of moving back to the UK when he has finished High School.
Will his US grades transfer over into a UK college or will he have to do GCSE's or whatever it is over there now?
I really didn't want him going to college to do another year of high school..

I know he would be registered as an International Student as he has been out of the country for 3 years.

Also how easy / hard is it to get a mortgage, how long would it before the banks will say yes? ( We have always had an account with hsbc if that helps at all )

Hi, I would check with NARIC here in the UK to see if your son's qualifications can be converted if not your Son would of missed the start of GCSE's at high school so his best option would be to start either 6th form or College it all depends on what he wants to do with his future. Our youngest returned from Aus without any transferable qualifications he wanted to go to Uni so studied (you do not have to choose this pathway though) 3 GCSE's (English, Maths and General Science) whilst studying for an Advanced Diploma in Sports (he wanted to be a sports teacher) he gained all of these with top grades and entered Uni and passed with a !st and is now considering a PGCE (again ...lol..he chops and changes his mind about teaching) you will not have to pay for education and if your son does then want to go on to Uni he will not be classed as an overseas student. Good luck I know how worrying it all can be
Old Feb 14th 2017, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

ohwottodo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you , yes its very daunting, he is in the first year of High School so I want him to complete HS here and then go from there - he does not know what he wants to do at the moment. We are flying over in a few weeks for a weeks visit to renew i94's so are taking him around the college when we are there.
It just makes sense for us to move back when his HS is completed as he is unable to work here. 3 years will fly by so I am making plans and gaining knowledge now
Old Feb 15th 2017, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

The major issue is that if he goes back now, he would be a school student and entitled to free education. If he returns at university age (18) and wants to go to university, he will be regarded as an international student until resident for three years. That would mean international fees and no government assistance.