Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

moving back to UK with NZ driving licence, what can i drive?

moving back to UK with NZ driving licence, what can i drive?

Old Mar 25th 2017, 12:59 am
Just Joined

law2oz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving back to UK with NZ driving licence, what can i drive?

Hi all,

I have a NZ driving licence (category 1 and 6) and am sadly moving back to the UK.
Just wondering what i'll be able to drive back in the UK?
Will i be restricted to the child's 3500KG limit and no trailer towing?

Also if i do my category 2 here will it transfer over to the UK?

Thanks
Old Mar 25th 2017, 11:53 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving back to UK with NZ driving licence, what can i drive?

Did you pass your driving test in the UK or only in NZ?
Old Mar 26th 2017, 12:20 am
Just Joined

law2oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
UK
Old Mar 26th 2017, 12:34 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by law2oz
UK
You can apply to have you UK licence reissued upto the end date of the validity of your original British licence.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, had i have passed my test in NZ and only ever driven in NZ what could i drive if i came to the UK?

Thanks
Old Mar 27th 2017, 7:52 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by law2oz
UK
If you passed your car and motorcycle tests in the UK then you'll get these entitlements back when you exchange licences providing you state your GB driving licence number on Form D1. You can ring the DVLA beforehand and ask them for your number if you don't have a record of it.

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Out of interest, had i have passed my test in NZ and only ever driven in NZ what could i drive if i came to the UK?

Thanks
With a NZ licence you can do a straight swap for a GB licence. You'll be restricted to automatics however unless you can demonstrate you passed your test in a manual.

https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-...in/new-zealand
Old Mar 27th 2017, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

If you passed your car and motorcycle tests in the UK then you'll get these entitlements back when you exchange licences providing you state your GB driving licence number on Form D1. You can ring the DVLA beforehand and ask them for your number if you don't have a record of it.

With a NZ licence you can do a straight swap for a GB licence. You'll be restricted to automatics however unless you can demonstrate you passed your test in a manual.

https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-...in/new-zealand
As I thought, many thanks for that.