Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK - minimising tax

Moving back to UK - minimising tax

Old Oct 20th 2017, 8:11 am
Just Joined

Bawble is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to UK - minimising tax

Hi everyone,

New here and only just found this forum. I'm planning on a move back to the UK and am looking for some advice on how to minimise my tax liability.

Some background information first. I left the UK in 2011 and moved to Hong Kong with a permanent transfer from my company. In 2013, I met my now wife in China and we were married in 2014. I purchased a property in China (in my name) in 2014 and live there part-time (splitting my time between HK and China 50/50). Officially, I'm am employed and a tax resident in Hong Kong with no income in China. My wife purchased a property this year 2017 (in her name) for investment.

My plan is to move back to UK in 2019 with my wife and daughter (british), I intend to transfer back with my company so I don't have any concerns about spouse visa. After we move back, we intend to sell my wife's property to fund a purchase in the UK and rent out my property.

What are the tax implications for selling my wife's property? She will be on a spousal visa and will not be working in the UK. Is there a difference between selling before we move or after we move?

I presume I will need to pay tax on the rental income I receive on my property. Can I claim mortgage payments as an allowable expense?

I don't intend to sell my property but if circumstances change and I need to, would it make any difference if the property was in her name instead of mine? Given that I am a higher rate taxpayer and she will have no income? What about if I transferred the property to my parents who reside in Hong Kong?

Sorry for the long post and all the questions.