Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to the UK during secondary education - will it screw me over?

Moving back to the UK during secondary education - will it screw me over?

Old Sep 30th 2015, 3:22 am
Just Joined

drizzcool has a reputation beyond reputedrizzcool has a reputation beyond reputedrizzcool has a reputation beyond reputedrizzcool has a reputation beyond reputedrizzcool has a reputation beyond reputedrizzcool has a reputation beyond reputedrizzcool has a reputation beyond reputedrizzcool has a reputation beyond reputedrizzcool has a reputation beyond reputedrizzcool has a reputation beyond reputedrizzcool has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving back to the UK during secondary education - will it screw me over?

Hi everybody,

I'm currently in secondary education in Australia and may need to move back to the UK because of a lack of jobs for my father, meaning that our visa could get cancelled if he's unable to find another one.

I'm in Year 9, but my classmates in London have just started Year 11, meaning that they graduate with their GCSEs next September. In Australia (Victoria specifically) we graduate with a VCE, but you apply straight to university with that qualification, unlike taking A-Levels in the UK. VCE starts in Year 11, finishing in Year 12.

I would just like to know of the experiences of anyone or someone who knows someone who has moved to the UK during GCSEs from any country, even more useful would be someone who has moved from Australia.

My main concern is that either I will be thrown into sixth form without proper preparation or I will be placed into a younger year group to take GCSEs with them. Ideally I would like to take the VCE in the UK, but as far as I know no-one offers it.

Any advice you may have will be greatly appreciated!
Old Sep 30th 2015, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the UK during secondary education - will it screw me over?

Hi, Don't forget to remember "it might not happen" so please try and not stress too much over this. Our youngest Son had just finished year 11 in Perth WA and started in the Feb in year 12, he was studying 5 Tee's at the time but wanted to head back to the UK with us asap (I was more than happy to wait until he completer year 12 in December but he did not want to) long story short, he started 6th form and studied an advanced Btec and also 3 GCSE's, he is now in his 3rd at Uni and up to now want's to become a Teacher. He had no problems with 6th form and enjoyed himself there much more than he did at High School in Perth as he said he had tons more options to choose from course wise and that the teachers treated him as an adult and not just a student. Good luck and hope all turns out fine for you
Old Oct 1st 2015, 7:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the UK during secondary education - will it screw me over?

I would not recommend attempting A Levels without having first done GCSE's (some subjects might be possible, but maths and sciences certainly not) so dropping back a year and doing GCSE's would IMO be the best alternative of the unpalatable choices you would face.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 12:44 am
Just Joined

drizzcool has a reputation beyond reputedrizzcool has a reputation beyond reputedrizzcool has a reputation beyond reputedrizzcool has a reputation beyond reputedrizzcool has a reputation beyond reputedrizzcool has a reputation beyond reputedrizzcool has a reputation beyond reputedrizzcool has a reputation beyond reputedrizzcool has a reputation beyond reputedrizzcool has a reputation beyond reputedrizzcool has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your response brits1! Just to confirm, he completed GCSEs at 6th Form? Also, were you able to get funding for university as I know there are requirements to be in the UK for at least 3 years before starting uni.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I would not recommend attempting A Levels without having first done GCSE's (some subjects might be possible, but maths and sciences certainly not) so dropping back a year and doing GCSE's would IMO be the best alternative of the unpalatable choices you would face.
You do not have to drop back a year to do GCSE's you can do them while studying for A levels or Btecs etc. I know as our youngest did just that.
Old Oct 2nd 2015, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by drizzcool
Thanks for your response brits1! Just to confirm, he completed GCSEs at 6th Form? Also, were you able to get funding for university as I know there are requirements to be in the UK for at least 3 years before starting uni.
Hi, Yes he studied while at 6th form, a GCSE in English, Maths and Science along with an Advanced Btec (equivalent to 3 A levels), he applied for Uni in his 2nd year of 6th form (we had been in the Uk 2.5 years) and was granted home status and student finance, he took a deferred year and worked at M&S, saved some money and started the following year. He is currently in his 3rd year (commutes to Uni) and is also volunteering at a private school to gain experience and help with his PGCE application while still working weekends at M&S.