Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to Uk with Canadian partner

Moving back to Uk with Canadian partner

Old Jan 21st 2018, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

Cheeca31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Moving back to Uk with Canadian partner

Hi, Can anyone point me in the right direction/give advice? I am a UK citizen moved to Canada in 2007, and in this time obtained my Canadian citizenship. I have been with my Partner who is Canadian since 2010, I am wanting to return back to the Uk to live and take my partner with me. He will want to be able to look for a job and work when we get there. Does he have to apply for a visa to get into the UK, can he work when he gets there. The immigration site is a minefield of information and confusing. Has anyone else been in the same situation and what steps did they take?
Old Jan 21st 2018, 3:18 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to Uk with Canadian partner

Unless your partner is a British, Irish or other EU/EEA citizen then he will need a visa to live in the UK. Does he have any recent British, Irish or other European ancestry, parents, grandparents or great-grandparents?
Old Jan 21st 2018, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

No, he does not have any British or other ancestry
Old Jan 21st 2018, 3:31 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

How old is your partner?
Old Jan 21st 2018, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

he is 58
Old Jan 21st 2018, 3:49 pm

In that case we can rule out obtaining a British/Irish/EU/EEA passport or a Tier 5 Youth Mobility visa.

A spouse visa is probably your best option. This will allow your partner to work (or not) as he sees fit. The main sticking point with this visa is that you, as the sponsor, will need to fulfil certain financial requirements in order for him to be eligible. Note that your partner's income cannot be taken into consideration at this stage to meet the requirements.

Briefly, providing you are earning £18,600 pa in Canada and have a job offer back in the UK starting within three months of your proposed return with a salary of £18,600 pa then your partner can apply for his visa immediately and returned with you to the UK.

Alternatively you can move back ahead of him, find a job with the appropriate salary and work for six months.

If you have cash savings in Canada, held in either name or jointly, that total £62,500 and you have held for at least six months then he can also apply immediately for a visa.

If you own property in Canada which you can sell to raise the £62,500 then you do not need to hold the proceeds for six months providing you have owned the property in question for at least six months.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

I have been earning more than £35,000 pa here in Canada. I do not have a job offer in the UK at the moment. Its sometimes hard to secure a job before moving back so was going to wait till I got there, then apply. Or at least start applying a month or so before I returned with the hope of getting some Interviews.

I would be selling my home here in Canada which would give me approx £46000 +, do not have savings per same of large amounts.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Cheeca31
I have been earning more than £35,000 pa here in Canada. I do not have a job offer in the UK at the moment. Its sometimes hard to secure a job before moving back so was going to wait till I got there, then apply. Or at least start applying a month or so before I returned with the hope of getting some Interviews.

I would be selling my home here in Canada which would give me approx £46000 +, do not have savings per same of large amounts.
Unless your partner has savings or property he could sell to make up the shortfall, then the savings route is likely to be out.

That you are earning above the threshold in Canada is good however as if you can secure a job in the UK from Canada then you could both still move together. If it proves to be impossible to do so however then you may need to move first to find work and your partner can join you later.

Something worth mentioning is that although you do not need to be married in order to obtain a spouse visa it does make things much easier. Unless either of you has strong objections to getting married then I would consider doing so before starting the UK immigration process.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the information. Funnily enough, we are planning on getting married but maybe in another years time. I do not want to go down the road of marrying before returning, just in case my partner cannot settle in the UK and wants to return.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 3:28 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing to think about is a job hunting trip. I'm doing this next week, and have lined up 2 interviews already - It's more re-assuring for interviewers to see you face to face... I did the same when I moved to Canada as well.

I'm super excited as I just organised an interview for a job I really want, and have been waiting to hear back about since well before the Christmas break. Keep your fingers crossed for me....
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

Good Luck Pretty Flowers with your Interviews, I hope you land the job of your dreams. It's a bit hard to for me anyway to take time off and go back to the Uk for Interviews when your 3-week vacation is already spoken for
Old Jan 25th 2018, 5:39 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

I totally hear you. If I don't move back this year, I'm screwed vacation wise for the rest of the year. That being said, we're looking to return by October at the latest (finance route) and if it ends up that way, I'll probably resign in August to have a little bit of a respite....
Old Jan 25th 2018, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Where you are you moving back to, I see Yorkshire in your profile, where in Yorkshire. I have family in Leeds and Sheffield.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 8:35 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pretty Flowers
Another thing to think about is a job hunting trip. I'm doing this next week, and have lined up 2 interviews already - It's more re-assuring for interviewers to see you face to face... I did the same when I moved to Canada as well.

I'm super excited as I just organised an interview for a job I really want, and have been waiting to hear back about since well before the Christmas break. Keep your fingers crossed for me....
Good luck with your interviews. I'm looking forward to the returnees meet.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 2:39 am
Just Joined

Alba1888 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Can anyone point me in the right direction/give advice? I am a UK citizen moved to Canada in 2007, and in this time obtained my Canadian citizenship. I have been with my Partner who is Canadian since 2010, I am wanting to return back to the Uk to live and take my partner with me. He will want to be able to look for a job and work when we get there. Does he have to apply for a visa to get into the UK, can he work when he gets there. The immigration site is a minefield of information and confusing. Has anyone else been in the same situation and what steps did they take?
Hi Cheeca31, I am in the exact same position as you and need to move back to the UK this year for family reasons. Did you have any luck? My partner applied for the as a partner route and got told this is incorrect. We are not married, she lived with me in the uk 2009-2010 and we came here until present. The website is so vague and nobody can advise what visa she should apply for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.