Animal crate

Old Nov 26th 2007, 12:30 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Animal crate

My pup's new crate came in on Saturday, and it's enormous! The one she had didn't allow for enough headroom according to Virgin Atlantic's restrictions, and this new one is the next size up and poor pup looks like a speck inside it! She has at least 3-4 inches of headroom and I'm going to have to pad it well so she's not jostled about in it too much.

Quick question, has anyone ever heard of airlines not allowing a pet to travel because their crate is "too big"? It's a Petmate Sky Kennel, so everything else meets their requirements, but I'm a little concerned that they'll think it's unsafe for her to have so much wiggle room.

Luckily, she always sleeps in a crate during the day, so it wasn't hard to get her used to this new one already.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 1:04 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Animal crate

I forgot to add, does anyone have any suggestions for dogs that like to chew their bedding? I've bought her several different crate beds, flat pads, big soft pillows, and she chews the crap out of all of them within a couple of days. I sprayed one with bitter apple but that didn't stop her. Someone I know suggested that she may not like bedding but that's hard to believe when she wants me to snuggle her in a blanket when she sleeps. I want to get a nice big blanket for her travel, as she also doesn't like the cold, but I'm worried about her chewing it en route and choking.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 2:34 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
My pup's new crate came in on Saturday, and it's enormous! The one she had didn't allow for enough headroom according to Virgin Atlantic's restrictions, and this new one is the next size up and poor pup looks like a speck inside it! She has at least 3-4 inches of headroom and I'm going to have to pad it well so she's not jostled about in it too much.

Quick question, has anyone ever heard of airlines not allowing a pet to travel because their crate is "too big"? It's a Petmate Sky Kennel, so everything else meets their requirements, but I'm a little concerned that they'll think it's unsafe for her to have so much wiggle room.

Luckily, she always sleeps in a crate during the day, so it wasn't hard to get her used to this new one already.
Bigger crate = higher flight cost ... I know BA charged me more than I was quoted for, because the crate she ended up flying in was bigger than what they quoted for ...
Old Nov 26th 2007, 2:37 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to add, does anyone have any suggestions for dogs that like to chew their bedding? I've bought her several different crate beds, flat pads, big soft pillows, and she chews the crap out of all of them within a couple of days. I sprayed one with bitter apple but that didn't stop her. Someone I know suggested that she may not like bedding but that's hard to believe when she wants me to snuggle her in a blanket when she sleeps. I want to get a nice big blanket for her travel, as she also doesn't like the cold, but I'm worried about her chewing it en route and choking.
I know that Suzy tore up her bedding during her flight too ... and sometime stears up her bedding when she's staying at a kennel ... so they took her bedding away ... don't think it hurt her any for such a short time

Do you typically have her sleeping in a crate, or are you preparing her for being in the crate during the flight? Are you locking her crate door at night? If so, maybe leave the door open at first so she can go in and out of it.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 2:45 pm
Former Floridian

Originally Posted by dunroving
I know that Suzy tore up her bedding during her flight too ... and sometime stears up her bedding when she's staying at a kennel ... so they took her bedding away ... don't think it hurt her any for such a short time

Do you typically have her sleeping in a crate, or are you preparing her for being in the crate during the flight? Are you locking her crate door at night? If so, maybe leave the door open at first so she can go in and out of it.
She sleeps in her crate with the door closed while I'm at work, and she's done that since being a tiny puppy. She doesn't have bedding in there right now, and seems no worse off, but I really need to put something in her crate when she flies, as it's so big, and I know with her mega-short fur, she'll be very cold, if not during the flight, but for sure when we get to the UK.

As far as the kennel size, I'm not too concerned about the cost going up, as I already got a "pencil" quote for this size anyway, was just concerned they might not allow her on the flight. Good to know you didn't have a problem.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:53 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Quick question, has anyone ever heard of airlines not allowing a pet to travel because their crate is "too big"? :
call your chosen airline and ask them...it really is very important to establish these issues before arriving at the airport for departure

the pets crate should not be too big nor too small so check with the actual pet section of the airline not just reservations.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 12:15 pm
Former Floridian

Originally Posted by TruBrit
call your chosen airline and ask them...it really is very important to establish these issues before arriving at the airport for departure

the pets crate should not be too big nor too small so check with the actual pet section of the airline not just reservations.
When I booked our flights yesterday, Virgin Cargo had confirmed that her crate is fine if it's a little big. They're more concerned about it being too small. The guy I spoke to who made the booking was wonderful (not surprising, I've always received great service from Virgin) and promised that she would be booked on my flight before he left for the day. I'm now waiting on her confirmation packet to come in the mail.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

When I booked our flights yesterday, Virgin Cargo had confirmed that her crate is fine if it's a little big. They're more concerned about it being too small. The guy I spoke to who made the booking was wonderful (not surprising, I've always received great service from Virgin) and promised that she would be booked on my flight before he left for the day. I'm now waiting on her confirmation packet to come in the mail.

well that's comforting to know. i only replied as you seemed concerned about the size crate, pleased it's all sorted