Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK from Canada

Moving back to UK from Canada

Old Mar 29th 2018, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK from Canada

Sorry, but this all sounds a little racist to me. When we lived in Ontario, I was proud of the social programs there that helped those of all colors who were in need. There were plenty of people of European and Anglo origin who had difficulty finding jobs in a suppressed economic climate. At some point, many of us become down and out and appreciate a system that has a social safety net. Universal health care included, not found down here in the states.

As I recall from history, the “Indians” (indigenous peoples) were treated like s*** for a few hundred years until not that long ago in North America.
Old Mar 29th 2018, 9:30 pm
RLR
Just Joined

RLR is an unknown quantity at this point

In UK the situation is not much better now. Brexit, crime, less money for NHS and education. Everything starts from education. If we do not teach children, we won't have responsible workers.
Old Mar 30th 2018, 2:20 am
Just Joined

Warwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iaop
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to write a quick note to thank you all for sharing your opinions and ecperiences. I have lived in Toronto for 18 months. My company sent me and my husband over here on an international work secondment. Now the contract is coming to an end and I am being offered a full time permanent position here, but it doesnt feel right and I dont want the job. Whenever I speak to someone about wanting to move back home (South Wales), the usual response is to say how nuts I must be and how everything is better in Canada. My husband and I don't feel this way, for many reasons but I was hearing the same message from so many people, "the UK is in a mess, Canada is the la d of opportunity, you'd be crazy to give it up", that I was seriously starting to doubt myself. Thank you for showing me that there are people with the same opinions as me.
Thank you from me too! I've been living in Canada since I was six and am now seventeen. I've never felt at home here, and have always felt much happier and more comfortable on visits back to the UK. A huge part of this is all our extended family is there, where as here I have nobody. I think overall it really depends on a variety of factors and personal experience, and the right place to live is different for everyone.
Old Mar 30th 2018, 3:24 pm
Just Joined

Louise Hedley is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0
Let me add my two pennies worth...My wife and I came to Canada in 2004 and became Citizens in 2009. We started in NB and gradually moved west via Winnipeg...we are now in Edmonton AB. We have decided to return to the UK by early 2019...Ask us why?...We hate the fact that this country is populated by a vast majority of people who do not accept responsibility for their own actions, it's always someone else's fault and not their own. Also there is a sense of entitlement here that is so in-grained in the culture that law enforcement agencies are made to almost apologize for doing their job. My wife and I do jobs where we deal with the public face to face on mass everyday, it's like dealing with spoilt children who when they don't get the answer they want...they throw their toys out of the pram!...WARNING...CANADA IS A NATION OF 35 MILLION KIDS...AND WE ARE OFF BACK TO THE UK. Finally we are both PRO-Brexit!
Hi there
We have been in Ottawa since 2001 and at present have our house up for sale and returning to the UK. Have you looked into moving companies yet?

Louise
Old Apr 5th 2018, 6:01 pm
RLR
Just Joined

Hello everybody. My question is specific. We are in process of selling our house in BC and moving to UK. We have a buyer but completion day is not set yet. After completion we will go to Calgary for couple weeks and then fly to UK.
The question is - how to cancel Telus internet and phone? They said that we can inform them 24 hrs before we want to disconnect internet and they will send us a box to return their equipment (WiFi router). It is about week to wait for the box. With canadian post can be even much longer. We are not staying in B&B just for waiting this box. And we can not close Telus account until they receive this router, and we can not cancel DD, we can not close bank account.
They offered other option - ask new house owner to do it for us. This is not very good option as somebody will have to go to the post twice - to pick up box and then send it.
Anybody was in such situation? Any advice what to do?
Old Apr 5th 2018, 8:20 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RLR
Hello everybody. My question is specific. We are in process of selling our house in BC and moving to UK. We have a buyer but completion day is not set yet. After completion we will go to Calgary for couple weeks and then fly to UK.
The question is - how to cancel Telus internet and phone? They said that we can inform them 24 hrs before we want to disconnect internet and they will send us a box to return their equipment (WiFi router). It is about week to wait for the box. With canadian post can be even much longer. We are not staying in B&B just for waiting this box. And we can not close Telus account until they receive this router, and we can not cancel DD, we can not close bank account.
They offered other option - ask new house owner to do it for us. This is not very good option as somebody will have to go to the post twice - to pick up box and then send it.
Anybody was in such situation? Any advice what to do?
Can you cancel early while you are still at the house? So you get the box for the box before you leave for Calgary?
Old Apr 5th 2018, 9:45 pm
RLR
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pretty Flowers
Can you cancel early while you are still at the house? So you get the box for the box before you leave for Calgary?
If I cancel before then I won't be able to use internet and phone. My mobile is very expensive and charge for outgoing and incoming 30 c per minute. Also already can not imagine life without internet. And if the deal fell through then we will have to reconnect and start again.
Old Apr 6th 2018, 6:57 pm
RLR
Just Joined

I asked my question about Telus equipment on their page on FB and they reply very fast with option to send without waiting box to arrive. Use our box but get the special number over the phone during cancellation.
I forgotten about FB. Good option to sort out problems.
Old Apr 6th 2018, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

PrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond reputePrairieWriter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RLR
I asked my question about Telus equipment on their page on FB and they reply very fast with option to send without waiting box to arrive. Use our box but get the special number over the phone during cancellation.
I forgotten about FB. Good option to sort out problems.
You might also be able to buy a pay-as-you-go hotspot and use that for a few days? Some are pretty cheap now, and they're quite reliable (we have one!).
Old Apr 6th 2018, 10:21 pm
RLR
Just Joined

PrairieWriter thank you, good option for few days.
Old Apr 6th 2018, 11:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Subscribe to Netflix. Sometimes they have 1 month promo. You can cancel anytime.
Old Apr 6th 2018, 11:27 pm
RLR
Just Joined

I am about internet cancellation, not about netflix.
Old Apr 7th 2018, 12:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RLR
I am about internet cancellation, not about netflix.
Yes of course...without it you cannot get Netflix. Although you could download programs and watch them without internet connection at a later date.
Old Apr 7th 2018, 12:51 am
Just Joined

Billyjoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Although I do not know what part of Scotland you are from; I am in regular contact with family who live in Angus (2 hrs from Glasgow). They visit Glasgow regularly.

I am in agreement that a holiday would be a good idea for your spouse to have an idea of the area of where you would like to live and what it would be like as the lifestyle there is different from Toronto.

Also, since you left Scotland there has been a very large influx of immigration into Scotland which is the main reason Scotland wants to leave the European Union due to the cost as anyone moving to UK automatically gets medical paid for and now low-income housing is becoming a crisis as immigrants are arriving looking for work.

Please note the above is a statement of what is happening. I am an immigrant myself. I just wanted you to have some perspective of what is happening.

I hope this helps you.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Apr 7th 2018 at 1:19 am. Reason: Fixed quote
Old Apr 7th 2018, 1:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Billyjoe

Hi

Although I do not know what part of Scotland you are from; I am in regular contact with family who live in Angus (2 hrs from Glasgow). They visit Glasgow regularly.

I am in agreement that a holiday would be a good idea for your spouse to have an idea of the area of where you would like to live and what it would be like as the lifestyle there is different from Toronto.

Also, since you left Scotland there has been a very large influx of immigration into Scotland which is the main reason Scotland wants to leave the European Union due to the cost as anyone moving to UK automatically gets medical paid for and now low-income housing is becoming a crisis as immigrants are arriving looking for work.

Please note the above is a statement of what is happening. I am an immigrant myself. I just wanted you to have some perspective of what is happening.

I hope this helps you.
Pretty sure Scotland voted overwhelmingly to stay in Europe.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Apr 7th 2018 at 1:20 am. Reason: Fixed quote

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.