Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK from Canada

Moving back to UK from Canada

Old Feb 15th 2018, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

biggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Moving back to UK from Canada

Originally Posted by Benson55
I've been in Canada 22 years now and have to agree with what you are saying 100%.
Canadians come across as people who can't get the job done, only think of the toys they can buy hence the very high debt levels, are brain washed by any government and don't think for themselves, as for culture I'm not sure they know the meaning of the word.
Where abouts are you? i'll add it to my list of places to avoid.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 11:19 pm
Just Joined

Iaop is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to write a quick note to thank you all for sharing your opinions and ecperiences. I have lived in Toronto for 18 months. My company sent me and my husband over here on an international work secondment. Now the contract is coming to an end and I am being offered a full time permanent position here, but it doesnt feel right and I dont want the job. Whenever I speak to someone about wanting to move back home (South Wales), the usual response is to say how nuts I must be and how everything is better in Canada. My husband and I don't feel this way, for many reasons but I was hearing the same message from so many people, "the UK is in a mess, Canada is the la d of opportunity, you'd be crazy to give it up", that I was seriously starting to doubt myself. Thank you for showing me that there are people with the same opinions as me.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yes I agree with you 100% and having been here in BC for 22 years I can tell you the feeling for me gets worse and worse as time goes on.\
ALL countries have issues Canada included.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

I found when most people said "your mad" that they had either hardly travelled to other parts of the UK or had never actually lived overseas and that their information was mainly gained from watching programmes on tv about moving overseas (which can make anywhere look better than it actually is)or that they would move like a shot if they had the nerve to. I would say to you that it is your life...if after 18 months of actual living and working in Canada and you feel its not for you then return home, good luck with your decision I hope wherever you decide you will both be happy and try and "tune out" advice from people who have not had the experience you have had.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Yes getting out of bed a bit earlier would help, doing some work on Friday would be good, and on Monday stop moaning about the weather....all good tips for Canadians.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
I found when most people said "your mad" that they had either hardly travelled to other parts of the UK or had never actually lived overseas and that their information was mainly gained from watching programmes on tv about moving overseas (which can make anywhere look better than it actually is)or that they would move like a shot if they had the nerve to. I would say to you that it is your life...if after 18 months of actual living and working in Canada and you feel its not for you then return home, good luck with your decision I hope wherever you decide you will both be happy and try and "tune out" advice from people who have not had the experience you have had.
I could not have put it better myself. Trust your own feelings and instincts Iaop, and good luck with whatever you decide is the best for you.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 1:37 am
Just Joined

Anna Maria is an unknown quantity at this point

I am considering returning to the UK and moving to Scotland (Edinburgh), I previously lived in London which I don't miss since moving to Canada 3 years ago. I love nature etc and I live just by the ocean in NS. Any tips arund apartment search in Edinburgh (Leith, Portobello) etc will be much appreciated. I don't know those waterfront areas only been in Edinburgh once.

Anyway, my question is around private healthcare which I absolutely love here in Canada. From my past work experience I remember that director levels jobs offered free BUPA. Can anyone apply for an individual healthcare plan with BUPA, AXA etc? I never looked into it since NHS is much better service that public healthcare here, at least where I live in NS. OMG!
Cheers
Old Mar 15th 2018, 1:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Benson55
Yes getting out of bed a bit earlier would help, doing some work on Friday would be good, and on Monday stop moaning about the weather....all good tips for Canadians.
Do they moan about weather? not as much as about taxes and car insurance. Gosh taxes are everywhere, and much higher in Europe in many countries. If they include them in final price there will be less pain, at least from psychological point of view
Old Mar 15th 2018, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of companies offer health insurance for all employees these days. Our son works in customer service and could elect to buy private insurance through them. My wife and I are retired and in our 60s and our private insurance costs less than £80/month through Aviva.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 9:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anna Maria
Anyway, my question is around private healthcare which I absolutely love here in Canada. From my past work experience I remember that director levels jobs offered free BUPA. Can anyone apply for an individual healthcare plan with BUPA, AXA etc? I never looked into it since NHS is much better service that public healthcare here, at least where I live in NS. OMG!
Cheers
Anybody can buy private healthcare, just look at the Bupa or other providers websites for an idea of cost. I've had private healthcare via hubby's job for the past 10 years, have never once needed it though as the NHS has always dealt with any problems quickly and brilliantly. I think it's fairly area dependent though, but the NHS is amazing IME.

Any other questions about your move, please do start your own thread rather than tacking your question on to the end of somebody else's, thx.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 1:22 am
Just Joined

Thank you
Old Mar 16th 2018, 3:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anna Maria
Thank you
It would help if you could quote the post you are answering. If not we often have no idea what you are referring to. You can do this by hitting the blue “Quote” tab at the bottom right hand side of the post you are replying to.
Old Mar 29th 2018, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

Hi all...we fly back to the UK in a few months after nearly 15 years in Canada. Various cities including Ft. McMurray and last will be Edmonton are just a few of the places we have lived in. Political Correctness here in Canada prevails and is so out of control. Here in Edmonton the culture is...what else can we do for the down and outs! TV news brings a daily diet of hard luck stories about lazy good for nothings! The only people here with any brains are first generation western Europeans! Those born here take no responsibility for their actions...they blame others. <snip>
Provincial Governments are at war with "Peter Pan" and his Federal Liberal Government.
<snip>

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 31st 2018 at 11:38 pm. Reason: Rather OTT sweeping statement. Please read rule 2. Thanks
Old Mar 29th 2018, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Have to agree 100% with you as its the same in BC and getting worse.
Its a culture of people thinking they are entitles to hand outs, too many goody goodies harping on and on all the time, high taxes to pay for it all, no culture and the feeling of being hopeless.
<snip > crime is rampant, the courts don't support the Police where morale is rock bottom.
I can't wait to get out.

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 31st 2018 at 11:38 pm. Reason: Rather OTT sweeping statement. Please read rule 2. Thanks.
Old Mar 29th 2018, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0
Hi all...we fly back to the UK in a few months after nearly 15 years in Canada. Various cities including Ft. McMurray and last will be Edmonton are just a few of the places we have lived in. Political Correctness here in Canada prevails and is so out of control. Here in Edmonton the culture is...what else can we do for the down and outs! TV news brings a daily diet of hard luck stories about lazy good for nothings! The only people here with any brains are first generation western Europeans! Those born here take no responsibility for their actions...they blame others. <snipped>
Provincial Governments are at war with "Peter Pan" and his Federal Liberal Government.
<snipped>!
This news article from the BBC News website may interest you -

Does Justin Trudeau apologise too much? - BBC News

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 31st 2018 at 11:39 pm. Reason: per above quote edited

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.