Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Moving back to the UK

Old Sep 28th 2017, 9:10 pm   #1
jsinco 
Just Joined

jsinco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to UK from Canada

Hello all

I moved to canada in 2010, to Toronto, since then i have a good job with a good pension, married and have a good house. I am however always homesick and miss Scotland. I was born in edinburgh and moved over when i was 25, and now i need to convince my canadian wife to move.

I am tired of it here, its overcrowded, taxes are getting crazy and driving is really really frustrating.

I miss the little things about the UK - the landscape, being close to the ocean, less overcrowded and simply going to the pub for a pint and ordering at the bar.

I will have to give up a lot and its seems crazy so im wondering if anyone has regretted moving back or can give me advice on this

thanks

Joe
jsinco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th 2017, 4:18 am   #2
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK from Canada

Could you both take a long holiday back to see if it suits you both? It wont give a perfect picture but will give an idea.
verystormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th 2017, 5:58 pm   #3
HKG3 
BE Enthusiast

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsinco View Post
Hello all

I moved to canada in 2010, to Toronto, since then i have a good job with a good pension, married and have a good house. I am however always homesick and miss Scotland. I was born in edinburgh and moved over when i was 25, and now i need to convince my canadian wife to move.

I am tired of it here, its overcrowded, taxes are getting crazy and driving is really really frustrating.

I miss the little things about the UK - the landscape, being close to the ocean, less overcrowded and simply going to the pub for a pint and ordering at the bar.

I will have to give up a lot and its seems crazy so im wondering if anyone has regretted moving back or can give me advice on this

thanks

Joe
Joe,

Before you plan to move back to the UK, you should consider getting Canadian citizenship if you qualify for it and not already done so. This will make any return to Canada easier.

If you feel homesick in Canada, why not join the local Scottish society to meet fellow Scots in Canada?

Caledonian, Scottish and St Andrew's Societies

You will also need to think about the wife - spouse visa for her in order to move to the UK with you.
HKG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th 2017, 12:56 pm   #4
brits1 Female
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Just watched the UK tv programme Location Location this week and they had a couple in a similar situation you find yourself in, they did a few extended stays in Edinburgh and finally decided it was the place for them and their young son, they finally bought near to Edinburgh (as their young son went to school there) but also very near to the coast, maybe you could do the same ie try a long extended stay and see how you both like it.
brits1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th 2017, 3:23 pm   #5
Forum Regular

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

I always thought Toronto was a very livable city. But housing costs (as in practically every big Canadian city) are outrageous. Taxes are high, but govt health care is excellent. People crossing into the US to bring back cheaper goods is the norm.

But you have to be where your heart is.
Richard8655 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Moving back to the UK