Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving Back to UK from California - Sailing Permit and Tax???

Moving Back to UK from California - Sailing Permit and Tax???

Old Aug 31st 2015, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

Gloridel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving Back to UK from California - Sailing Permit and Tax???

Howdy

After working for 2 months on an L1 Visa in California, I've decided the role isn't right for me and I'm going to move back to the UK this weekend.

My list of To Dos is:

- Close Bank account
- Cancel SSN
- Cancel car, accommodation etc

But what do I do about TAX?

I've read about a Sailing Permit.
Do I need to complete this even though I've only been here 2 months and if so how do I do it? I've read many people don't do it but I do plan on returning to the USA on holiday on a regular basis.

Old Aug 31st 2015, 8:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Back to UK from California - Sailing Permit and Tax???

You can't cancel an SSN, it is yours for life, there is nothing you can, or need, to do with it.

You will have to complete a US federal and state tax return next spring, after you receive your employment W2's. A sailing permit must be applied for at least two weeks befor you leave, so I think you've left it too late. I doubt it is a big deal, so long as you complete your tax returns next spring. FWIW I would leave my bank account open until I had paid my 2015 final taxes, or received any refund.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 31st 2015 at 8:28 pm.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Gloridel is an unknown quantity at this point

Ta for the response

Can I leave the BA open even though I won't have a US address anymore?

I'm likely to return to the US before the end of the tax year on holiday Esta visa and thought not doing the Sailing Permit may cause me probs

From what Ive read, gotta apply no earlier than 30 days before I leave andcan take 2 weeks to process if there's issues...most people got the form signed on the day they visited the IRS office
Old Sep 1st 2015, 3:45 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I left our BA open with no US address, I went into the branch and talked to them and they put my UK address on the account. I can access it and pay US bills online with this account, I can also transfer money to UK using Xe.com that was set up before moving.