Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK with Aussie Pension

Moving back to UK with Aussie Pension

Old Dec 21st 2014, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Di Di is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back to UK with Aussie Pension

Yes, I've already been told I should get rid of my furniture and start again and it does make sense, I know, BUT all our furniture was chosen together, my husband and I, and it is really precious. It's not particularly expensive furniture but our furniture! I will have to come to terms with all that stuff, I know. This could be my biggest hurdle!!!!

You are perfectly right, the1mag, and it's always hard to re-establish in another country, and it is only STUFF - oh, dear, if only I could think of it that way!!!

Di

Di
Old Dec 21st 2014, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

the1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond repute

We moved cities three times in the 32 years we were together but that was on the same continent and all we took was what we could get in the van. The first time was the most traumatic but it was also oddly liberating. Changing continents was definitely more difficult!
Old Dec 21st 2014, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

I am actually a 'moving' connoisseur, having moved firstly when I was eight to Australia with my family, hated it, moved back, all within five years. I then came back here when I was 21 on my own, got married, and we then emigrated to the US. We stayed there for six years and then moved back here. During our last long stay here, we have moved houses so many times I have lost count. We decided we liked to move. It kept things fresh, even though we moaned about it at the time.

So I am simply wanting to do what I have always done but now I'm much older and on my own so it will take a lot of planning. Ho hum, onwards and upwards!
Old Dec 22nd 2014, 9:05 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to consider is if you have too much in savings you won't be entitled to much by way of benefits. The only one I can think of that wont be affected by savings is the reduction in council tax. I mention this as you have said you will be buying a house. If you haven't already checked them out, do look at the info from Age UK
Old Dec 23rd 2014, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Di Di
Yes, I've already been told I should get rid of my furniture and start again and it does make sense, I know, BUT all our furniture was chosen together, my husband and I, and it is really precious. It's not particularly expensive furniture but our furniture! I will have to come to terms with all that stuff, I know. This could be my biggest hurdle!!!!

You are perfectly right, the1mag, and it's always hard to re-establish in another country, and it is only STUFF - oh, dear, if only I could think of it that way!!!
Di
Di
I am in your position in my 70s, and returned to England 3 years ago after living in Oz for 51 years. My Australian Age Pension is certainly more than a UK pension, but I'm now receiving at least £2000 per year LESS in pounds than two and a half years ago because of the changing exchange rate. My UK pension is 26 pence per week and increases by one penny at a time.

I'm eligible for the £200 Winter Fuel Payment and the 25% reduction in council rates because I live alone, plus a free bus pass, free prescriptions and the NHS. I find that services and supermarkets are cheaper here than in Australia, but because I bought a flat I'm burdened with a high service fee which is escalating more than I anticipated, and which offsets any other gains.

There are also incredibly low bank interest rates here for you to consider if you have savings.

As for furniture and other things, I gave away everything in SA to family, friends, neighbours and charities. Some had belonged to my parents and I had known them all my life, so to see it go was a huge wrench. However once it was gone my feelings for it were gone as well. It would certainly have been a big burden to bring all these things to England. I think you might enjoy buying anew and having different things around you.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 12:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by aries
I am in your position in my 70s, and returned to England 3 years ago after living in Oz for 51 years. My Australian Age Pension is certainly more than a UK pension, but I'm now receiving at least £2000 per year LESS in pounds than two and a half years ago because of the changing exchange rate. My UK pension is 26 pence per week and increases by one penny at a time.

I'm eligible for the £200 Winter Fuel Payment and the 25% reduction in council rates because I live alone, plus a free bus pass, free prescriptions and the NHS. I find that services and supermarkets are cheaper here than in Australia, but because I bought a flat I'm burdened with a high service fee which is escalating more than I anticipated, and which offsets any other gains.

There are also incredibly low bank interest rates here for you to consider if you have savings.

As for furniture and other things, I gave away everything in SA to family, friends, neighbours and charities. Some had belonged to my parents and I had known them all my life, so to see it go was a huge wrench. However once it was gone my feelings for it were gone as well. It would certainly have been a big burden to bring all these things to England. I think you might enjoy buying anew and having different things around you.
Hi Aries - Well, someone else my age refusing to sit in their armchairs and watch telly!!! YaaaY! Mind you, once I'm home and settled, this is not to say I wont be doing so then!

Yes, the exchange rate does bother me a bit re the Oz pension payment. It's supposed to go down further against the pound this next year also!! I should imagine, if I do qualify for a British pension, it will be peanuts. I do have the benefit of a small US pension so that does help. I also work from home although probably won't be able to do it much longer due to arthritis in my hands but I'll keep going as long as I can.

So I would be eligible for the Winter Fuel thing - that will help with the energy bills and free prescriptions. They don't have that in Oz, do they, so that's a big help. You pay a much smaller amount for prescriptions here but certainly not free. Yes, I have researched this a lot and also from personal observation when I've visited, that supermarkets and the like are definitely cheaper, due to plenty of competition. There is no competition with the supermarkets here. You pay through the nose for everything. (Hope these comments help people who may be thinking of coming)

Re the low interest rates on savings, don't think that will be an issue by the time I sort myself out, something tells me!

Yes, the furniture and pet thing is a real issue - the pet or pets plural is a cost I have to wear. Hate subjecting them to such a long trip. I've done it before from the States and found one of them very traumatised. It took us ages to get him back to normal. I'll have to think about all this further and do lots of research.

Thank you, Aries, for sharing your info. It is much appreciated. Hope you had a lovely Xmas and HNY to everyone here!!!

Best wishes
Di
Old Dec 27th 2014, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

Lucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond reputeLucky Lucan has a reputation beyond repute

Might be worth checking with the relevant authorities in the U.K but I vaguely remember reading that time spent in Australia before 2000 or 2001 whenever the social security agreement ended, could count towards a U.K pension.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 4:22 am
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Moving back to UK with Aussie Pension

Originally Posted by Lucky Lucan
Might be worth checking with the relevant authorities in the U.K but I vaguely remember reading that time spent in Australia before 2000 or 2001 whenever the social security agreement ended, could count towards a U.K pension.
Thanks, LL - I will check up on this but I was under the impression you had to work for 10 years in the UK in order to get the pension. I worked from 15 to 21, then came out here. I have also had a total of about three years working sporadically in the UK since then, so 9 years all up, all worked before the year 2000. I will find out about that.

Cheers
Di
Old Dec 27th 2014, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

the1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, LL - I will check up on this but I was under the impression you had to work for 10 years in the UK in order to get the pension. I worked from 15 to 21, then came out here. I have also had a total of about three years working sporadically in the UK since then, so 9 years all up, all worked before the year 2000. I will find out about that.

Cheers
Di
That';s what I thought too but I found something on their website that said you could get a percentage if you had put in less than ten years so I inquired and now get 30% of the full pension. That was three years ago when I was still in Canada and now I'm back in the UK I get the increases (ha!) and the winter fuel allowance. I may have saved the reference and I'll post it if I can find it.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Found the website reference but the wording has changed because of the new pension regulations coming along. Still worth inquiring though I think.
Old Dec 27th 2014, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

When I lived in Australia and applied for a UK pension, they allocated me the minimum of 5 years UK work experience, and I received 18 pence per week, all paid in December. This was increased when I returned here to live, gradually reaching the 26 pence a week I receive now. I understand that if you wish to have the full UK pension, you would lose from your Australian Age Pension, but I don't know by how much.
Old Dec 30th 2014, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

My Aussie pension has dropped again because of the exchange rate, this month down by about £30.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

dave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond reputedave2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Wondering if somebody could give me the benefit of their experience?

I am 70 years old and thinking of moving back to the UK. I would be living in the UK on an Australian aged pension. I am concerned about the drop in Aussie dollar to the pound and think it may go a bit lower still in the next year or so. I judge basic living costs in Australia to be higher than living in the UK (I have visited my home town fairly consistently over the years but not for the last ten years so am out of date). I believe I can be fairly comfortable living on my Aussie pension. However, I am not sure what the UK pension is and how often it increases in order to compare the Aussie pension with the UK one.

So what I'd like to know if there is anybody out there who has followed this route:

How much is the average single pension in the UK?
Do they know whether I would be able to get Council asistance for various living costs associated with purchasing a retirement flat? I may not be eligible due to not receiving the UK pension.
Has anybody moved back with an Aussie pension that could share their experiences, financially?

Thanks very much. I don't expect there to be many oldie poldies like me making the trip back but still there might be!!!

Cheers
Di
I expect to be moving back to England soon after 45 years in Canada, and housing will be the most problematic for me.

I could afford to buy a modest home, but the cost would take a hug chunk of my savings. However, there schemes to assist people who would have difficulty in getting an open market mortgage, or would have other difficulties in buying a house or apartment. One such scheme is called part-buy, part-rent, or shared ownership. Most of these schemes are run by Housing Associations. They do have some eligibility requirements, but if you meet them you would be able to enter into an arrangement whereby you could initially buy a 25% share in the home of your choice, and pay rent on the balance. Subsequently you could increase your ownership stake up to 100%.

Here is a web site you may want to visit:

Part Buy Part Rent | Find your brand new home today

Good luck.