Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK! Am I being selfish?

Moving back to UK! Am I being selfish?

Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:20 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK! Am I being selfish?

Originally Posted by tigerlace
Hi I thought I might come on this forum to see if I could get some good advice. I am thinking of moving back to England with my twin boy's aged 15 and I have one that really wants to go but the other said he is not going and I can't make him!! I took them there last year for a holiday and they loved it, but now I would like to move back. Am I being selfish? I am 38 and single so I thought it might be an adventure for the three of us, and to start again over there. I lived there as a child and loved it.
So now I am confused as to wether it is a good idea or not. I don't know if I can make my son go with us or not. Can anybody give me some advice??? Help so confused......
As someone who experienced some quite oppressive parenting at times I would say be cautious about forcing a 15 year old to do anything - is there anyone you would trust to look after him where you are now if you moved back without him - I think a lot also depends on him - some teenagers at 15 are still very much a child whereas others are very mature and sensible and almost adults - you know you're son best, do you think he is mature enough to cope without you?

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
This is always the hard one!

I can only offer you the advice of what happened to us with our daughter. When we emigrated to OZ she was 14. She never wanted to come and was determined to stay in UK. I have 2 other boys who were happy to come.
Anyway, we promised her that if she didn't settle, she could return back to UK.
After 18 months in OZ, she still hadn't settled and craved the UK. By this time she was 16. She had tried to settle, made new friends went to college and had a part-time job here, but still longed to be in UK.
I kept my promise and took her back to UK. She is now very settled and loving her old life again.
What upset me more was seeing her unhappy in OZ....it must be horrible being forced to be somewhere you don't want to be.
What i'm trying to say is, can you make a compromise with your son like we did.
What a lovely Mum you are - must have been really hard leaving her back in the UK but you did it for her. Anyway you'll be reunited soon

Originally Posted by britvic
Yes a big dilemma for me as well being as I've just made the choice to come back here and except the fact that my Son is American now even though he was born in England.
Welcome back to BE Britvic, lovely to see you back here, did you move back to the US for your son? Hope things work out for you there this time
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:54 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tigerlace
Hi I thought I might come on this forum to see if I could get some good advice. I am thinking of moving back to England with my twin boy's aged 15 and I have one that really wants to go but the other said he is not going and I can't make him!! I took them there last year for a holiday and they loved it, but now I would like to move back. Am I being selfish? I am 38 and single so I thought it might be an adventure for the three of us, and to start again over there. I lived there as a child and loved it.
So now I am confused as to wether it is a good idea or not. I don't know if I can make my son go with us or not. Can anybody give me some advice??? Help so confused......
Fifteen can be a very difficult time emotionally with lots of changes going on, yet fifteen year olds can be very mature too (I was!). So forcing him to do something against his will could have damaging effects on him and your relationship. In the circumstances, I would honestly say think about waiting a few years. State that it is what you would like, sure, without making him feel guilty. It may say a lot to him about how you feel about him that you will not force or coerce him, i.e. he may feel respected and valued. You don't have to abandon the idea, but it seems there could be too much to lose to move with children of that age - an age that rarely seems to adapt to major changes because there are so many changes already going on for them.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Pugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud of

At the end of the day, in a few years, your sons will be grown and living their own lives wherever, you'll be lucky if you see them once a week! You must do what is best for YOU, the compromise for unhappy son, is that he can always come back. This worked for my family when we were younger, except my 15 year old brother actually loved his new life, went back for a holiday, expecting not to come back to us... but did happily.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 10:44 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Be pretty damn careful about coercion and trickery. They could cost you dear.

My advice, for what it's worth would be as follows. Listen to what the previous poster said, and wait till he is 18. Then negotiate as between adults. I know he may not seem to be in your eyes, but in his he will be.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 7:47 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We have made choices for our daughter regarding places to live, education etc...we still wonder if we did the right thing. For instance we thought giving her the experience of living and gaining citizenship of different continents could only be for the best and open up future opportunities. In truth I'm wondering if it just throws her into a bigger dilemma.
We moved our children over here (USA) when they were 10,14 and 16.
The 16 year old wasn't over keen but at the end of the day the decision was ours.
I know they seem grown up at 15, 16, 17 but often they're not really.
She loves it here and wouldn't go back at the moment. She wants to get her citizenship when it's time so that she can travel freely.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:25 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pugsy
At the end of the day, in a few years, your sons will be grown and living their own lives wherever, you'll be lucky if you see them once a week! You must do what is best for YOU, the compromise for unhappy son, is that he can always come back.
No, that is not always possible.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Pugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud of

I was more thinking a mindset kind of way, in other words as an adult he can live his life, make plans, set goals and do what he wants, wasn't referring to red tape as such.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

kelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond repute

This is a real grey area when it comes to 'he doesn't have no choice'.

When we took our 15 year old back to UK, we rang the social services up and asked if there was any way we could get her to come back with us, if she had the right to refuse, even at 15.
Well they were on her side and said it doesn't matter what age they are, you cannot force anybody against their will to be where they don't want to be.
I rang them just to confirm this was true as i had heard about it before.
They mentioned legal proceedings against my own child!
That is obviously the last resort.
A compromise was made before we fell out with her completely.
So children do have their own rights, just that we don't know about it.
Sorry to hear about your dilemma, a very hard situation to be in. I really think that you are thinking of your boys, giving them a real opportunity to try something new. Perhaps you are going to have to compromise with him. At the end of the day will he be able to live here without you? I doubt it, you should start putting the ball in play and he will come around. The worst case senario is that he hates uk and wants to return, but he should at least try......it could be the best thing for him. He probably is very scared as most teenagers are of change and separation from their friends, who at this age are more important than parents!!

Maybe you could put a time line on it like others on this thread have advised, that way he won't feel like there's no other choice. Also you could try and encourage him by looking on the internet for all the things that you will be able to do.

Tell him that you really want you all as 3 to have one last adventure for your memory bank as soon enough he will leaving home and out in the big wide world on his own.

Good luck anyway, I'm sure he will come around, just scared of not being socially accepted. Tell him we all love Aussies in uk. He will be like a celebrity with the girls!!!
Old Mar 28th 2008, 5:55 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by kelbelinoz
Sorry to hear about your dilemma, a very hard situation to be in. I really think that you are thinking of your boys, giving them a real opportunity to try something new. Perhaps you are going to have to compromise with him. At the end of the day will he be able to live here without you? I doubt it, you should start putting the ball in play and he will come around. The worst case senario is that he hates uk and wants to return, but he should at least try......it could be the best thing for him. He probably is very scared as most teenagers are of change and separation from their friends, who at this age are more important than parents!!

Maybe you could put a time line on it like others on this thread have advised, that way he won't feel like there's no other choice. Also you could try and encourage him by looking on the internet for all the things that you will be able to do.

Tell him that you really want you all as 3 to have one last adventure for your memory bank as soon enough he will leaving home and out in the big wide world on his own.

Good luck anyway, I'm sure he will come around, just scared of not being socially accepted. Tell him we all love Aussies in uk. He will be like a celebrity with the girls!!!
Why did you quote me
Old Mar 28th 2008, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kelbelinoz
He will be like a celebrity with the girls!!!
That's for sure, better still if they can play rugby or footie, encourage them to join the local club, or school club, they'll make loads of mates.

You know there are plenty of UK surf towns, where you can surf, windsurf, kiteboard, etc. In my neck of the woods, the surf is great and you cannot swing a cat for all the surf shops with all your ozzie and california brands. Obviously you've not got the weather, but that's what the Med's for.

If you do come and they go to Uni later. It will be a fantastic experience for them, as British Uni's are filled with internationals, they will soak it up.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Mine hated living in Perth when we moved her out there at 15 but loved it by the time we left last year (she is 18 now). She has stayed in Oz and we miss her terribly. I dont know what to say, this is a hard one, he is too young to stay there but old enough to make his own mind up, maybe compromise is the only way, ask him to come back and if he hates it tell him when he is 17/18 he can go back, there is going to come a time when one of you is gonna have to give.

Good luck
Old Mar 29th 2008, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

kelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond reputekelbelinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Why did you quote me
because im A MUPPET and clicked on wrong box!!! forgive me?!!
Old Mar 29th 2008, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

AHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud ofAHamm has much to be proud of

I agree with those who advise waiting until he's 18. It may mean a couple more unhappy years for you, but as parents we sometimes have to make sacrifices in the best interests of our children.
Old Mar 29th 2008, 6:17 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

You could use the next three years to try really hard and find at least something nice about where you are.

That way if you still think it's time to go home in three years time, you will at least have some happy memories to take with you.