Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving Back to UK after 9 years

Moving Back to UK after 9 years

Old Jul 20th 2014, 1:52 am
Just Joined

gjt_795 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Moving Back to UK after 9 years

Hi all, I'm only 19 but my family moved to America when I was 10 and I'm now thinking about moving back to England by myself. My parents aren't too open to the idea however all of our family still lives over in England and are more than willing to help me readjust. I am currently enrolled in college over here in the US and am in my second year, my parents keep telling me to stick it out here to finish my degree but I would really like to transfer and finish my degree in England. I was just wondering what people thought about the differences between universities here vs in England and whether or not others believe it would indeed be wise to stay, or to actually leave and finish abroad!
Old Jul 20th 2014, 2:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Back to UK after 9 years

Hi!

I think it could be a problem as the degrees are structured differently in the two countries.

Do you have a UK university in mind? You could call the international admissions office and ask about it.

Sometimes there are opportunities to study abroad as part of your US course.

On balance I think it would be better to finish the degree here, unless you have a really pressing reason to go to the UK right now. It would be quite a big adjustment after that much time away.

My daughter is 18 and is going to attend a UK university, however we're all moving back so it's a bit different. She was 9 when we came here, so kind of a similar story to yours.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 2:08 am
Just Joined

I've been looking into the University of Exeter and Bath Spa University, I have family close by to each, but since I have only finished one full year of college here I wasn't quite sure how difficult it would be to transfer!
Old Jul 20th 2014, 2:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gjt_795
I've been looking into the University of Exeter and Bath Spa University, I have family close by to each, but since I have only finished one full year of college here I wasn't quite sure how difficult it would be to transfer!
Try asking them directly. They all vary anyway.

Don't forget you will have to pay the overseas rate on tuition fees.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 2:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, I'm only 19 but my family moved to America when I was 10 and I'm now thinking about moving back to England by myself. My parents aren't too open to the idea however all of our family still lives over in England and are more than willing to help me readjust. I am currently enrolled in college over here in the US and am in my second year, my parents keep telling me to stick it out here to finish my degree but I would really like to transfer and finish my degree in England.
Your parents are right. All qualifications lose some value when taken across borders, but incomplete qualifications lose even more. Also, as someone else has noted, you will likely be charged "overseas" rather than "home" fees, even if you are a British citizen.

If you do want to make the move, perhaps a better time would be when you have completed your degree. Would there be postgraduate opportunities for you at a U.K. university?

In addition, if you are not already a U.S. citizen, you really should make sure you are naturalized before you leave the United States. That keeps open the option to return later on. Not a good idea to burn bridges, especially if your family are settled in the U.S.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 3:25 am
Just Joined

thriftguy is an unknown quantity at this point

If school is important to you I would recommend you complete your programme before you leave. If life experiences are more important then go, but understand you may be abandoning your degree.

I was in almost the same boat. My parents moved to Canada when I was very young and after going through all of school and first year of University I decided I needed a change of scenery so I just up and moved. I spoke with some schools, and was really impressed but decided I wanted to wait to be resident for 3 years so I would get in cheap.

Well... fast forward 33 months and I had had an amazing time roaming the country, and had ended up with a wife who was seven months pregnant. I had only been doing casual labour type jobs, enough to tide me over really, but not enough to raise a family on. With no degree and no stable job I ended up moving my little family back to Canada.

Eighteen years later I still don't have my degree, which I do regret, but I have a great job and family that I love, and we're looking at making the move back to the UK just in time for my son to get to make those same decisions!
Old Jul 20th 2014, 5:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

What people on this forum think about your situation is irrelevant.

What matters is whether your parents are prepared to pay for international fees, accommodation and all the other expenses for you when in the UK.

If they are not, are you prepared to get a loan to do so?
Old Jul 20th 2014, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

My parents definitely wouldn't be the ones paying for anything, it would all be up to me.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

My parents definitely wouldn't be the ones paying for anything, it would all be up to me.
So your most important question is how you are going to finance this prospective move?

Unless you obtain a scholarship you have university fees, accommodation and living expenses to fund. At 19 no mean feat; and with a student visa you can only work up to 20 hours a week I understand.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

As I have dual citizenship I'm lucky enough to not need a student visa and because I am an American citizen also, I would qualify for financial aid, even if I was to attend a foreign university.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As I have dual citizenship I'm lucky enough to not need a student visa and because I am an American citizen also, I would qualify for financial aid, even if I was to attend a foreign university.
Oh yes, forgot you are a dual citizen. So you would, at least, be able to work more hours.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Are they giving you any financial help at the moment?
Old Jul 20th 2014, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

bobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the rough

You would have to pay international student rates in the UK. Keep in mind that fees for locals are now £9000 a year so international student fees will be somewhat higher. Finish in the USA.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

JRuss87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Some Universities have exchange programs that would allow you to complete your degree abroad and depending on your grades you could be eligible for grants, bursaries and scholarships. I would talk with your school and see if that is an option, otherwise you will be charged as an international student unless wait to meet the minimum residency requirements to be charged home fees.

If exchanging isn't an option, then contact a few Universities over there to see what options you may have. If all else fails I would suggest you complete your degree in the U.S. It can be very hard to get back into the swing of things if you take an extended break from school, the money from work becomes quite enticing.