Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to the UK after 10 years in canada!

Moving back to the UK after 10 years in canada!

Old Sep 9th 2015, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

Cruella32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back to the UK after 10 years in canada!

Originally Posted by Richard8655
If not too personal, I'm wondering if your decision to leave Canada for UK was for family reasons, or something about Canadian life? Vancouver Island I hear is beautiful and scenic.
Not too personal at all! We are moving back with heavy hearts because we adore it here and have a great life but there is no security at all and we need to start thinking about our retirement... Where I am from it is much easier to plan for our retirement because it is so much cheaper than Victoria... Plus we always want to have family around us so moving up island isn't an option for us.. We luckily have family in both places...
Old Sep 9th 2015, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for kindly sharing your thoughts on this. I completely see your point of view. We lived in Canada for a year and found it quite expensive, often significantly more so than the U.S. or UK. Employment prospects for non-Canadians were difficult and housing in major cities outrageously expensive. And we felt isolated in many respects. Nothing against this beautiful country, but the economics didn't work for us.

So back to Chicago for our retirement planning as final move to northwest England. You have to go where your heart is and feel secure. All the best on your move back.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Richard8655
Thanks for kindly sharing your thoughts on this. I completely see your point of view. We lived in Canada for a year and found it quite expensive, often significantly more so than the U.S. or UK. Employment prospects for non-Canadians were difficult and housing in major cities outrageously expensive. And we felt isolated in many respects. Nothing against this beautiful country, but the economics didn't work for us.

So back to Chicago for our retirement planning as final move to northwest England. You have to go where your heart is and feel secure. All the best on your move back.
Thank you so much - and Good luck on your retirement planning also x
Old Sep 10th 2015, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

ginger Tom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cruella32
It is with a heavy heart that we have decided to move back to the north of England from Vancouver island but we are also very excited. We were just hoping people could give us some advice on the following things or real life stories etc... Any help is appreciated!

* best place to ship belongings from Vancouver island to County Durham?
* how to get a bank account in the UK before living there so we can pay bills etc

We have 3 children so any advice about their relocation and what we need to do to get them set up would be great too!

Thank you!
Hi Cruella,

I know all about returning from Vancouver Island with a heavy heart too, My wife and I lived there for 2 years in Sidney and then Shawnigan Lake. We returned to the UK (North Devon) because my wife just couldn't settle, she liked living in Canada but simply preferred England, on the other hand I loved it there and wanted to remain. It almost split us up to be honest. It's a topic people moving over should discuss in depth before they go and come to an agreement on what they will do if one wants to return and the other one doesn't. I miss it everyday and would return in a heartbeat. My wife is over the moon to be back and has no desire to return even for a holiday.
Luckily everything has gone well for us back in the UK with our home and new employment etc. but for me its always on my mind, hopefully I'll get over it in time. Good luck with your move.
Old Sep 10th 2015, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ginger Tom
Hi Cruella,

I know all about returning from Vancouver Island with a heavy heart too, My wife and I lived there for 2 years in Sidney and then Shawnigan Lake. We returned to the UK (North Devon) because my wife just couldn't settle, she liked living in Canada but simply preferred England, on the other hand I loved it there and wanted to remain. It almost split us up to be honest. It's a topic people moving over should discuss in depth before they go and come to an agreement on what they will do if one wants to return and the other one doesn't. I miss it everyday and would return in a heartbeat. My wife is over the moon to be back and has no desire to return even for a holiday.
Luckily everything has gone well for us back in the UK with our home and new employment etc. but for me its always on my mind, hopefully I'll get over it in time. Good luck with your move.
I'm so sorry to hear that it has been a sad move for you... Luckily me and my husband are on the same page at the moment ... I hope this stays the same when we are in the UK too... Thank you for sharing and know my thoughts are with you x
Old Sep 10th 2015, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks so much to everyone for the feedback on Robinsons... We got a quote back today of 7k in pounds... Wowzers! We will be downsizing and getting another estimate from them - hopefully we will get a number not as scary!!!
Old Sep 10th 2015, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much to everyone for the feedback on Robinsons... We got a quote back today of 7k in pounds... Wowzers! We will be downsizing and getting another estimate from them - hopefully we will get a number not as scary!!!
For what volume?
Old Sep 10th 2015, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, cost us 14000 for a 20ft container and we got a lot in. Safely arrived at their warehouse yesterday.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shirtback
For what volume?
Sole use of a 20ft container - we can't afford that type of money so are going to see how much part of a container will cost... We did that moving out to Canada and if I remember rightly it was a more doable price for us...