Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK in 30 days - help!!

Moving back to UK in 30 days - help!!

Old May 26th 2013, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Saladmonster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to UK in 30 days - help!!

I was born and raised in UK then moved to USA 20 years ago. I'm now moving back . Sold my house and most of my belongings and staying with friends until I leave. I've bought my one way ticket for June 25th!

Can you help me with what paperwork I need to complete to wrap things up here and re-establish myself in the UK? I know I'll need to do a US tax return. I have US citizenship and a UK passport. Where do I start?

Many thanks!
Old May 27th 2013, 1:04 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK in 30 days - help!!

Good luck, I don't know of any paperwork that you need to fill out, Taxes will be next January as usual and every year thereafter.
Are you transferring house money over? If so we've been using Xe so far I sent car money as we sold things, house money will come once the house sells.
Old May 27th 2013, 3:45 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

From the American standpoint, you will need to:

* file a US tax return every year if your income is > $9,750 USD (however, you usually don't owe any tax until your income is > $93,000).
* file a FBAR if the amount in your overseas bank accounts (individually or combined) exceeds $10,000 USD at any time during the year.
* file a FATCA if the amount in your overseas bank accounts exceeds about $250,000. It varies based on your residence and filing status.
* file a special tax form if you own > 10% of a foreign company.
* enter and exit the United States on your US passport.
Old May 28th 2013, 6:35 am
Just Joined

Rony is an unknown quantity at this point

I am really sorry I don't know much about paperwork. I can only help you for your problems regarding shipping and removal and storage but you have already sold your belongings.
I hope advices given by our moderator will certainly help you and wish you very best of luck for your moving process.
Old May 28th 2013, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Saladmonster is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your good wishes! I'm so excited to be going home!
Old May 28th 2013, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck to you. I'm sure many will be here to encourage and offer advice. Wishing you all the best. Wish it were me going back!