Moving back with two cats

Old Sep 29th 2015, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Kittywhisp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back with two cats

Hello Everyone,I am getting really depressed with the whole idea of having to move back to the UK and was hoping for some advice and support.I left the UK nearly 10 years ago with my ex boyfriend to move to Lanzarote so he could be with his parents here. 3 years ago I met my current boyfriend who is spanish and we have alsways talked about moving to England.I lost my job 2 years ago and have been receiving job benefits since then but that has now finished and with my savings rapidly running out it looks like we will have to move to the UK.I am having issues with the entire process to be honest I can not afford to pay an agency to deal with the cats travel so will have to try to arrange it myself but i´ve spent weeks checking the Defra pages and the airlines etc and I still am confused. We hope to move to Somerset as its all we can afford for now and we have seen some cheap flats but we cant fly with the cats from Lanzarote to Bristol airport so we will have to fly to Gatwick which means having to travel by car to somerset. We can´t stay with any family so will have to rent somewhere temporary until the paperwork for a flat is processed but where do we stay in the meantime, most b&b don´t accept cats. We have even looked at renting a caravan but thats not cheap either and most only let you stay a week.Sorry for the rant but I don´t have many people I can talk to and my boyfriend being spanish knows less than I do so I feel I have all this information to try to work through and it all seems to much to take in.I know it is all a bit random but any advice anyone has about searching for somewhere temporary to stay in the UK with pets, the process of taking the cats by plane without using an agency or anything that may help me stop going crazzy would be so appreciated.Thank you so much
Old Sep 29th 2015, 5:05 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back with two cats

I'm a cat lover too, and I brought two cats in from Canada, but despite that I think you should consider rehoming your cats in Spain.

It is a question of cost. Obviously you don't have a lot of money to spend on your move and finding affordable accommodation is a big problem. You are going to find it much more difficult with the cats. Your move will be more expensive because of the airline and Defra fees, and you'll find it more difficult to find somewhere to rent.

I know my advice isn't going to cheer you up, and you are already feeling depressed, but I think it is best to face facts.
Old Sep 29th 2015, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your honest answer Editha but rehoming the cats isn´t an option, especially not here as the island is already over run with cats.I honestly don´t know what I will do but I am not getting rid of my cats even if it means struggling to stay here instead of going back to England.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 8:11 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

You will need pet passports for the cats and they must be microchipped and vaccinated against rabies. Your vet should be able to sort that out for you. You'll need to arrange with the airline to fly your cats in as cargo. Expect to pay as much for the cat's fare as you do for your own, and more. The airline will tell you what size containers are needed. They will be larger than a usual cat-carrier and you will have to buy them or get them made, or make your own.

In the UK you are going to have difficulty finding a landlord who will take cats, even after your initial difficulty with b&bs. You could try asking the Cat's Protection League if they will foster them for you, while you are looking for accommodation, but don't be too hopeful; my own experience is that the animal charities will only take animals for rehoming, but it is worth trying to get their help.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Thank you Editha. Both already have the microchip and pet passport so they just need the rabies vaccination then. I have been speaking with Thomas Cook about the cats flying with them. We already have one travel box as we used it to fly my cat here years ago so we just need to get one more.I know it is going to cost a lot for their flights and I am already prepared for that, what I didn´t want was to have to pay extra to get an agency to do it if wee can do it ourselves.I used to rent in the uk with my cat before so I know its not impossible as we have many good references so that normally helps a lot. I will just have to keep searching until I find a place that will accept cats.I have many many more options for jobs in the UK than I do here so its not like I can just sit here either so I will just have to keep pushing forward.Thank you for your advice.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

tabbicat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
You may be able to advertise here for a room or flat which is cat-friendly:
SPARE ROOM for flatshare, house share, flat share & rooms for rent

I brought my cats back from Barcelona using a pet courier (by road). There are a number of these and though not cheap, it was door-to-door and the cats arrived safe and sound. Here's a link to the one I used: Animalcouriers • worldwide pet shipping and animal transport services • +44 1483 200123 - I expect they would be able to advise you about the best option from Lanzarote. Also, I think they can look after the cats on arrival for a few days until you are settled. By road from Barcelona to East of England they took 3-4 days, which gave me time to finish packing, fly back and move into my flat. I planned well in advance and booked the pet courier, removals and made a few trips back to sort out my accommodation before the final move. (I was also claiming benefit in Spain after redundancy, but moved back before it ran out.)

Like you, I would not have dreamed of leaving my cats as rehoming would have been out of the question as there are so many unwanted cats already in Spain. And it was lovely when they arrived and began to explore their new home

I do hope you are able to manage the move and find somewhere suitable for you and the cats. If moving back is really what you want to do, then you'll find a way. If it's not, then maybe you should consider moving to mainland Spain where you might be able to get work more easily.

Good luck.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so very much Tabbicat for your kind words and support <3

I am living in limbo at the moment but I am flexible to go either way for whatever is best. I am still putting out feelers about my new business here in hope of staying on and working for myself but I am also searching for what needs to be done to move to England.

I have spoken to a friend of mine who runs a cat charity here and she sends many cats to the UK with a pet travel agency she highly recommends and I have been given a quote that isn´t too bad considering so if it means the cats will get there safely then its worth it.

I will check the page that you linked thank you, I have been checking flatmates.com but most places don´t say anything about cats. I have found a few b&bs that accept cats that are a bit more than I hoped to pay but it if comes to that its better than nothing.

I´m trying not to get too fixed or stressed over any particular issues and just working through the process for both staying and leaving to see which starts to manifest. I will keep you updated.

Last edited by Kittywhisp; Oct 1st 2015 at 1:47 pm. Reason: posted with phone and didn´t post completely.
Old Oct 16th 2015, 5:45 am
Just Joined

esme07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kittywhisp, I'm also going to be moving 2 cats to the UK and have been looking for cat-friendly b&bs/hotels. Here's a link that might help, if you haven't seen it yet:

We Accept Pets :: Pet Friendly Hotels, B & Bs, Self Catering Holiday Cottages and Campsites in the UK (you can search by type of accommodation - some of the hostels are pretty cheap)