Moving back this summer

Old Jan 27th 2015, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back this summer

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Hi. Congrats to your husband on the new job and good news about No.2 on the way. When deciding when to move, remember that if the baby is born in the US s/he will always be a US citizen.

You may or may not consider this to be a good thing.
We don't consider it a bad thing. Baby1 was born in the US and is now a dual national.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 9:36 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gillymonkey
We don't consider it a bad thing. Baby1 was born in the US and is now a dual national.
OK. Some people aren't aware of the situation. We weren't when our first child was born in LA six weeks before we left the country for ever.

He's 32 now and had to get a US passport in addition to his UK and Canadian ones just to travel to States on business and has to file US tax returns.

Pain in the butt if you ask me (or him).
Old Jan 30th 2015, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Oh that's not been a problem. Since 2007 I've moved around a lot: USA, Canada the first time, Germany for 8 years and back in Canada since 1993.

We've thrived and been happy everywhere we've lived since first emigrating.

I retire on July 1st this year....on to the next place(s).
That's how you managed it. I would love to live in a few European countries a few years at a time. I have to wait for the kids to leave
Old Jan 30th 2015, 2:52 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bnet36
That's how you managed it. I would love to live in a few European countries a few years at a time. I have to wait for the kids to leave
I made a glaring typo in the post you quoted. Where I typed 2007, I meant 1977.

We've been in North America (mostly Canada) for all but 8 years since leaving the UK, except for spending at least three weeks, and since 2007, 2 months in France every year.

As Grayling put it in another thread, we've served our time. Parole in my case equals retirement.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redgirluk
Hi, I am moving back to the Newmarket area after 22 years this August. Yes I have had that gnawing feeling for about 10 years and I decided last year I am done here and ready to go back home. Taking 2 of my kids and 1 dog, this should be fun lol.
I live there :-)
Let me know if you need any newmarket info. I work in cambridge x
Old Feb 12th 2015, 4:51 am
Just Joined

detridge is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All, we are also moving back at the end of June after 6 years in Canada, many reasons, aging family, still have our house (couldn"t sell in 2009) and our daughter is finishing high school this year so we are excited but its still a bit daunting.

We are also taking our cat, I have phoned Defra and they are very helpful, this was after having a $400 blood test we didn't need?? that our vet said we did- websites are a bit vague. Has anyone shipped a cat back themselves without using a courier how easy / hard is it? any surprises?

Thanks Duncan
Old Feb 12th 2015, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond reputeBnet36 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Duncan,

It is a daunting process but we must take it one step at a time. There have been many discussions here about taking pets back to the UK, do a quick search. Here is one sticky:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/movin...2012-a-723046/

Good luck!
Old Mar 21st 2015, 2:44 am
Just Joined

Cambridgeman is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wanted to post an update. We have our tickets booked and will be arriving at the end of June. There of course have been minor worries/fears but overall I am very excited. If anyone is reading this and can't make up their mind., I would advise to just go for it. I will check in back here to update as the date gets closer, and of course once were settled will update again. Thanks again for all the wonderful post and replies from members here.