Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back and school application

Moving back and school application

Old Oct 11th 2016, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Gatochat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back and school application

Okay, Another school related question here.

I have a 6 year old and a 3 1/2, who's due to start reception September 2017.

We have a house in London (parents') where we used to live until our move to HK. it's rented out to our relatives now, we're planning to move back and live there next summer. Since the house is rented to our relatives, we never removed our names from the council, so technically, we're still paying council tax.

My question is: in theory, I can apply for a reception place for my little one to start September 2017? What other proofs will they ask for? How about my older one? Once my little one gets a place at our preferred school, then the chances of getting my oldest one into the same school is higher I suppose?

I have a job now in HK and would prefer to stay in HK for as long as possible (and get paid), as I probably can't find suitable work soon. Hubby will also need to job hunt unless he can secure a job whilst still in HK.

Any advice would be appropriated!
Old Oct 12th 2016, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back and school application

Hello,
You haven't said which area in London and the rules may be different in different areas in London.
My DD lives in Wandsworth and the rules have changed every year.
The catchment area has reduced each year and the right of siblings to get into the same school as their sibling has been removed.
In Wandsworth, two years ago, some children did not get into any of their 6 choices of school.
Why don't you look at mumsnet or google "mum" and your own area of London. Your best source of advice is from other parents in the same area.
There is a strict timetable for the application process - check the local council website.
Check out the school's performance on the OFSTED website.
Getting children into school in London can be a nightmare.
Good luck.
Old Oct 24th 2016, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving back and school application

A different area but we just put our application through in our local authority for September 2017. It asked for address but not if we were council tax payers.

If you do not get an application in by the deadline (January for us) then you have little to no chance of getting one of your choices. So leaving it late certainly wouldn't be an option for us.