Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back Boston to UK. Take the car?

Moving back Boston to UK. Take the car?

Old Oct 21st 2016, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

sassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nice
Question Moving back Boston to UK. Take the car?

So we are considering taking our car back to the UK. It's a couple of years old and would mean we'd have a car on arrival if we ship soon and not have to go car shopping just before Christmas!

Good idea? Bad idea? Costs?

We've driven a UK car in France so know all about being on the wrong side of the vehicle.. but at least our car is an automatic!

Any recent experience with this?

Thanks for your help!:
Old Oct 21st 2016, 8:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back Boston to UK. Take the car?

Why would you do that? Unless it's something special that a collector of US cars would buy... I would sell it before you leave. Used cars are as cheap as chips in the UK...plus they are much smaller. Parking/opening the door and exiting the car in the UK is a nightmare with even a mid to largish UK car...the parking spaces are tiny.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 9:02 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassy-cat
So we are considering taking our car back to the UK. It's a couple of years old and would mean we'd have a car on arrival if we ship soon and not have to go car shopping just before Christmas!

Good idea? Bad idea? Costs?

We've driven a UK car in France so know all about being on the wrong side of the vehicle.. but at least our car is an automatic!

Any recent experience with this?

Thanks for your help!:
Could you specify the model? I agree with JG that most American cars (unless Japanese imports) would be rather impractical in most parts of the UK.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

sassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nicesassy-cat is just really nice

Why would I do that?
To have a mode of transport and not have to add car purchase to my to do list on arrival at Heathrow in December!
Yes, I realise our car would be rather large for the UK but it's not an Escalade. It's a small SUV, a RAV4.
Have never bought a used car in the UK, only bought new and not done that for nearly 20 years so no experience.

Mainly asking for advice if this is a reasonable idea. We'd have a place to park it and would generally only be using it for fairly long trip (1 hour in the car) not a runabout town car.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 9:23 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Why would I do that?
To have a mode of transport and not have to add car purchase to my to do list on arrival at Heathrow in December!
Yes, I realise our car would be rather large for the UK but it's not an Escalade. It's a small SUV, a RAV4.
Have never bought a used car in the UK, only bought new and not done that for nearly 20 years so no experience.

Mainly asking for advice if this is a reasonable idea. We'd have a place to park it and would generally only be using it for fairly long trip (1 hour in the car) not a runabout town car.
It's an unreasonable idea.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

OK, thanks! Seems like I need a plan B

I'd still be interested if anyone has actually done this. It seems fairly in expensive to transport. I imagine I'd probably have sticker shock when it came to gas/petrol prices though!
Old Oct 21st 2016, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Having taken our British car to France one year, I vowed never to do that again! Being on the wrong side of the car for overtaking purposes was a nightmare.

Could not imagine overtaking under such conditions on the motorways in the UK these days, not to mention the feeling of always being on the wrong side of the road!

Get a car to suit the driving situation.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 9:35 pm
Born again atheist

I'd still be interested if anyone has actually done this. It seems fairly in expensive to transport. I imagine I'd probably have sticker shock when it came to gas/petrol prices though!
Not just that. The value of a LHD vehicle is way below the equivalent RHD version.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 9:35 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

also you would have the extra expense of getting it registered in the UK and getting headlights and fog lights changed, also remember that pay areas on entering and leaving car parks are designed for RHD cars, as are things like drive throughs.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 9:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Issues would arise if it isn't the same spec as a EU model, so getting it insured and parts, as I know exhaust parts are spec'ed differently for Honda's and use different materials, so if Toyota were the same, parts could be more hassle/expensive if you wanted to keep warranty valid.

Insurance would be a chore.

Sorting out the lights may be costly to do, to get it road legal.

No resell value.

You could sell it here for much more money that you'd spend in the UK on a second hand car.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Ha, yes not being able to pay for parking at the exit gate would mean having 2 people in the car so one can leap out and pay..
headlights and foglight I had no clue about so thanks for that.

I'm leaning towards selling it now.
It has more second hand value here than in the UK.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, Bob. My research indicates that selling it here would be a better idea.
OK I think I'm ready to give up my car!
Old Oct 21st 2016, 9:39 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by mikelincs
also you would have the extra expense of getting it registered in the UK and getting headlights and fog lights changed, also remember that pay areas on entering and leaving car parks are designed for RHD cars, as are things like drive throughs.
I've not yet encountered a drive through in the Uk, perhaps they exist, but the parking and things like that are a major hassle if the steering wheel is on the wrong side. From personal experience.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Well I've encountered a few in the past.. a parking garage in Epsom town centre and one in Croydon for starters.

So sadly I'm coming to terms with leaving my car. My son who will remain in the US would like it but he can't pay for it so maybe selling it is my best option.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 9:53 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I've not yet encountered a drive through in the Uk, perhaps they exist, but the parking and things like that are a major hassle if the steering wheel is on the wrong side. From personal experience.
Almost every McDonalds has one, so have many other fast food places. Also the carwash places would need two people in the car. or a very quick dive from one side to the other and a quick window close.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.